Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Other Destination
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2010

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Floriduh, Panama, Hawaii, San Francisco

In 2-3 weeks we will sail away from Floriduh with our final destination being S.F. Through all the projects needed I am finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel.

We will sail to Miami to say goodbye to some close friends we have met while sailing in, and out of the Bahamas. Then it's a straight shot to Panama, and get on the other side as quick as possible. Then it's onto Hawaii, and this is where my questions come in.

My father requested his ashed to be placed in the Pacific. Since his grandfather was from the Big Island, the Kona Coast. I felt it appropriate to place some of his ashes there. I was in Kona before I started sailing, and my memory does not it recall anchorages. We want to anchor with access to shore.

Next is the same problem with Honolulu. I want to see Hokule'a, the Hawaiian sailing canoe. Hopefully she will be there, but the Bishop Museum is another must see, and hopefully to meet Wayfinders.

http://images.google.com/images?q=hokule'a&channel=linkdoctor&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=tuBDS7yMCMOUtgfiwNX_CA&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=5&ved=0CCMQsAQwBA

Then my wife wants to see Kaui on our way out of the islands, and home to S.F. Once again we are looking for anchorages with access to shore. I have to dig out, and find my paper charts for these areas, but any advice, and or local knowledge would be greatly appreciated.......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-30-2010
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
I have seen several sailboats anchor off Kailua-Kona, the cruise ships and commercial boats also anchor or have moorings there. It's not protected and the boats are in a moderate swell all the time, but it doesn't look too bad generally. You can dinghy into the city dock and walk to all shopping. The only protected anchorage on that side of the big island is at the far northwest corner in the commercial harbor (long way from Kailua).

Honolulu has the Ala Wai marina by Waikiki, transient slips were available when we bought our boat, but I would check current status. Lot's of boats anchor near the airport (Keehi?, don't remember if that's the name), but you are right under the end of the main runway so don't plan on getting any sleep there.

Sounds like quite a trip, fair winds.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 03-30-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Wow. You have lots to look forward to and lots of time to plan along the way. We visited 4 of the Hawai'ian Islands several years ago (by plane) and I could have stayed a lot longer then the 14 days we had. There is so much to see. We liked the blue travel guide books to the islands but they will not likely help out with anchorages. The advantage you will have is that lodging was a big expense but you have I2F for that.
You will probably make your entry at Hilo which is a good place to re-provision. They have a farmers market in Hilo once a week close to the beach; I forget which day of the week it is but it should be in the blue HI book. Supermarkets are not so cheap but are reachable by car in Hilo. We really liked the feeling or vibe of Hilo, it's low buildings and lush vegetation were a welcome change after the Honolulu/Waikiki high rises.
On Maui the cheapest hotel we could find backed up to the beach at Kahlui Harbor where the cruise and cargo ships put in. This would also be another good place to re-provision with many stores nearby. This harbor has 2 break waters. We found the Asian food to be the best fare on the Islands unless Denny's and MickyD's is your cup of teak.
Kauai was almost the jewel in the crown. The Napali Coast tour we did in a 50' catamaran was amazing as was the drive up to Waimea Canyon. The boat left from Port Allen IIRC. This area is so scenic that it could be ruined only by film crews setting up shots for shows like: "Lost". There is the famous Hanalei Bay on the north coast which would be the boating capital of the island.
I missed seeing the 2000' cliffs on Molokai and only spotted them briefly from the airplane. They must be an incredible sight from the water. If you are there around March watch out for whales!
Have a great trip and please document it. If you decide to leave there for SF you will want at least some photos to remind yourself of what you experienced.

Everybody has one:

Old 03-30-2010
I can't reMember

ezatsea is on a distinguished road
I can't speak to your other destinations, but the Hawaii Yacht Club in the Ala Wai in Honolulu has an "Aloha Dock" for visiting cruisers. contact the club manager for details and availability: hawaiiyachtclub.org Best and cheapest restaurant in Hono and really friendly people.

Keep the boat IN the water,
keep the water OUT of the boat.

Last edited by ezatsea; 03-30-2010 at 07:47 PM. Reason: boo boo
Old 03-30-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezatsea View Post
I can't speak to your other destinations, but the Hawaii Yacht Club in the Ala Wai in Honolulu has an "Aloha Dock" for visiting cruisers. contact the club manager for details and availability: hawaiiyachtclub.org Best and cheapest restaurant in Hono and really friendly people.
Nice avatar,

I would like to thank all that share any input at all about Hawaii. Every tiny piece of information helps me form a plan, so no small piece is too small. Thanks for the input........i2f

Old 03-30-2010
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
I would expect that you could anchor over in Kaneohe Bay on the west side of Oahu. I'd want good charts though.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 03-31-2010

I am working on charts now for Hawaii. I have detailed charts for Ohau, but only electronic for everything else in Hawaii. I carry paper for anyplace I sail to.. ......i2f

Old 03-31-2010

Allanbc is on a distinguished road
On the Big Island, I have seen boats anchored off of Kailua-Kona. I don't think Honokohau Harbor (next to Kona) has any transient slips. I think you can also anchor at harbor in Kawaihae (along the Kohala Coast).

I have seen boats anchor in Waimea Bay on Oahu and in Hanalei Bay on Kauai. Both of these are absolutely gorgeous anchorages BUT they are north facing so you have to keep track of the swell forecasts. It is OK in the summer as it is generally flat but during a swell it can get rough. In the winter, you REALLY don't want to be there in a big swell. I've seen Waimea Bay go from smooth as glass to having 35 foot waves rolling in in a matter of a couple of hours.

I used to live in Hawaii but did not have a sailboat then.

Difference between a power boater and a sailor out on the water: A power boater is going some place special, a sailor is already there.

s/v Zotz 1981 Pearson 365 Ketch Hull #375
Old 03-31-2010

Our goal is to arrive in the beginning of June, and be gone in July sometime...thanks...i2f