SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Outboard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/outboard/)
-   -   Lower unit replacement (casing) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/outboard/112138-lower-unit-replacement-casing.html)

zz4gta 12-14-2013 05:15 PM

Lower unit replacement (casing)

I have a 2009 3.5hp 4 stroke Merc that has the shifter shaft seized into the aluminum housing. I'm trying to get it out to replace it. The entire powerhead is off and I'm at the point of finding a new lower unit case and swapping everything over. Only problem is I can't find a replacement case anywhere.

Any suggestions?

Dave_E 12-15-2013 09:27 AM

Re: Lower unit replacement (casing)

You should be able to get ANY part for that year from a Merc Dealer. The cost is going to scare you though. Might be better off finding a used motor or a new one.

81venture 12-15-2013 09:39 AM

A picture might help...I work on outboards a lot, and I am trying to picture in my head how/why it could be seized? from corrosion, or did something happen (damage)?

If it's corroded then maybe a LOT of patience, some PB blaster or Deep Creep, as well as maybe heating it, and working it slowly.

If it's straight out damaged and un-serviceable Dave_E is right cost will scare you from the dealer:eek: and I am sure you have already tried things like ebay without success

Might be best to cash it in and get another motor...but post a pic or more info on how why it's "stuck"

Depending on the damage a machine shop might be able to bore it out, and you could purchase another shift rod...but again depends on the damage

zz4gta 12-16-2013 10:31 AM

The original problem was that the shifter was hard to engage into Forward. Only F and N on this motor. I tried to push it into F and the shifter broke and spun on the shifter shaft.
I purchased the replacement shifter. I could not get out the old shifter shaft. I tried days of letting it soak in PB blaster, Kroil, and a number of other things, I heated it, tapped on it, then ended up bending the shaft. Cut off the bent section, tried cutting threads onto the shaft to use washer and a nut to extract the shaft. This has been a 6 month project and I’ve been using a barrowed outboard.

The sad part is I bought this brand new from West marine in 2009 and there’s another story to go along with that. Long, I’ll spare you. I’m at the point now to give up on getting the shaft out, and just replace the entire casing. The motor was around $900+ tax and has been nothing but headaches.

It's a horrible design. The original plastic shifter handle is all that broke, and it’s going to cost me hundreds to fix it. I tried a machine shop, they refused to work on it. I’m a certified machinist myself but don’t have access to a shop anymore. I’m running out of patients.

jimgo 12-16-2013 02:07 PM

What kind of tools do you think you'd need? There is (or at least was) a wood shop in Reston that is open to the public. I know of some places in the Bethesda area, too, that have more "machine tools." So, you may still be able to access a shop, if you want to go that route.

zz4gta 12-17-2013 10:52 AM

Do you know the name of the place in reston? Found an online source for the casing and it's $215+ shipping and some 0-rings. I think I'm going to go that route as time gas and frustration are pretty high priced these days.

Would be good to know of other options for future projects though.

jimgo 12-18-2013 09:30 AM

The one in Reston is in the Reston Community Center just off Glade Dr. and Reston Parkway. Reston Community Center

zz4gta 12-18-2013 12:51 PM

Thanks Jim.