Outboard advice needed - dealer charged install price - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Outboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2014

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Outboard advice needed - dealer charged install price

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericb760 View Post
You should have bought a power boat.
And you should have kept your fingers off the keyboard, so I guess you'r even.

As others have said the price does not sound outrageous. It does suck to pay a big chunk of change to have something installed after laying the money out for an expensive piece of hardware. If you want to cut costs you could go with a used motor. My preference would be to find a used 2 cycle as the new gas outboards just seem to sensitive to fuel freshness for my taste. It does not seem to make a difference as to manufacturer either. Even if it was the same price for a well rebuilt 2 cycle vs new 4 cycle I would go 2 cycle. Yes they smoke a bit, and are noisy, but they will start every time!
bljones likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-18-2014

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
And you should have kept your fingers off the keyboard, so I guess you'r even.

As others have said the price does not sound outrageous. It does suck to pay a big chunk of change to have something installed after laying the money out for an expensive piece of hardware. If you want to cut costs you could go with a used motor. My preference would be to find a used 2 cycle as the new gas outboards just seem to sensitive to fuel freshness for my taste. It does not seem to make a difference as to manufacturer either. Even if it was the same price for a well rebuilt 2 cycle vs new 4 cycle I would go 2 cycle. Yes they smoke a bit, and are noisy, but they will start every time!
Totally agree. I have had many 2 strokes over the years. Properly maintained,
that being new plugs once a season, mine were bullet proof, simple, and substantially lighter than comparable 4 strokes. We bought a 4 stroke 6 HP Tohatsu for our fishing boat a year or so ago. It is a bit fussy about how you start it, but it runs perfectly. It weighs about 60 lbs, about the same as a 15HP 2 stroke we had.

Bought the 4 stroke because of the existing ban on carburetor equipped 2 strokes on nearby Lake Tahoe. Otherwise, I would have looked for a good used 2 stroke.

Paul T
Old 01-19-2014

hriehl1 is on a distinguished road

I think if you check some outboard online sites, you'll see that the remote throttle / shifter / ignition plus associated wiring and cables are a separate equipment purchase... before any installation.

Consider the installer will be drilling the wall of your cockpit footwell to a) install & seal the controls, b) route and secure the cables & wiring, c) testing everything, and finally, standing behind the installation. In my experience, your quote is fair.

Last year I needed to have the boatyard repair my remote-control outboard setup... I needed a few parts where the cables connect to the engine, and parts and labor for that was $200.

Tags
install , outboard , prices