Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Outboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2014
Been there, done that...

ericb760 is on a distinguished road
Re: Anti-Fouling Paint on an outboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Why not pull the motor and store in the cabin locked up sounds like good idea and really cheap to
Looking forward to summer, I spend 3-4 nights a week on the boat, and it's not feasible to store it in the cabin on those nights. A friend suggested that I lay it down in the motor well but I don't know if it will fit that way. Plan to check that out this weekend...
Old 02-04-2014

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericb760 View Post
Thanks, but I don't think it's really rocket science. I figure I'll sand the old and peeling paint off, hit with some aluminum primer, and then spray on the anti-foul.
a. Unless you've figured out how to paint the inside of every passage you'll get growth inside. On inboards there are 2 differences; the passages are larger to allow for this; when the seacocks are closed there is no oxygen in the water and this tends to kill everything.

b. If something grows in there, you might just need a new engine. And something will.

c. Try this expereinment. Wrap some duck tape on a couple of blades, not floppy but not skin tight. Feel the vibration and note the loss in speed. It doesn't take much on a high speed (relative to inboard props) prop to desroy the flow.

I really don't think you want to do this. I'm not sayin' you can't, I'm just sayin' you'll be worse off.
Brewgyver likes this.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2014
don't like leanin'

Multihullgirl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericb760 View Post
I've been looking at anti-fouling paint in a spray can to paint the the lower so that I can leave it in the water and only pull it once a week to flush and rinse. Are there any downsides to doing this? I would start with a coat of self-etching zinc chromate primer followed by a couple of coats of the anti-fouling in a can.
On my saildrives, similar to your application:
Started with ZC, then coated with a Carboline epoxy product, then went over that with West Marine's paint-on. Everything but the really shitty WM antifoul is working just fine. I emphatically do not recommend West Marine's OB antifouling.

You say you're pulling it every week, so I suppose even if the antifoul is crappy, you'll have the opportunity to clean it off while it's out.

In retrospect, I wish I'd gone with Trilux. That, or I may really spend some time with the epoxy and go over that with the Trinidad PRO bottom paint that is working a treat, but I was hesitant in that Trinidad is copper and that's another argument for another thread
Old 02-04-2014
Banned

dabnis is on a distinguished road

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
a. Unless you've figured out how to paint the inside of every passage you'll get growth inside. On inboards there are 2 differences; the passages are larger to allow for this; when the seacocks are closed there is no oxygen in the water and this tends to kill everything.
Seeing some outboards in the water all the time I have often wondered about the insides of the passages becoming plugged up? Doubtful that they could ever be un-plugged?

Quote:
b. If something grows in there, you might just need a new engine. And something will.

c. Try this expereinment. Wrap some duck tape on a couple of blades, not floppy but not skin tight. Feel the vibration and note the loss in speed. It doesn't take much on a high speed (relative to inboard props) prop to desroy the flow.

I really don't think you want to do this. I'm not sayin' you can't, I'm just sayin' you'll be worse off.
Paul T
Old 02-04-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

[quote=dabnis;1377937]
Quote:

Seeing some outboards in the water all the time I have often wondered about the insides of the passages becoming plugged up? Doubtful that they could ever be un-plugged?

Paul T
Actually yes they can be unplugged if seawater based soak in fresh for 3 days and then flush if fresh based do the reverse works good for me also I run the engine once a week if left in the water to stop growth from getting a hold

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-05-2014

Brewgyver is on a distinguished road

+1 on what PDQ said.

Yes, you can kill the critters that WILL grown in your cooling passages by running the engine hot enough for long enough. BUT, the dead critters will still be there, latched onto the metal, and the only way to get them out is acid washing - with an inhibited acid of course.

Talk to a local yard that does outboard work, and ask them.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.