Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Outboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2014
Been there, done that...

ericb760 is on a distinguished road
Anti-Fouling Paint on an outboard?

Woohoo, first post! I've been thinking...it's a hassle for me to pull my outboard after every use and, realistically, I have nowhere to store it but the trunk of my car. I've been looking at anti-fouling paint in a spray can to paint the the lower so that I can leave it in the water and only pull it once a week to flush and rinse. Are there any downsides to doing this? I would start with a coat of self-etching zinc chromate primer followed by a couple of coats of the anti-fouling in a can.

Last edited by ericb760; 01-31-2014 at 09:20 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2014

FourthCoast is on a distinguished road
Re: Anti-Fouling Paint on an outboard?

Hi Ericb,

I suspect my situation is different since my boat was in a slip on a freshwater river last year. However -- everything that touches that river for more than a couple hours comes out with a thick brown slime on it.

I had very good luck with the rattle-can anitifouling paint on my Honda outboard. I just sanded the old antifouling paint once over lightly with some 80-grit paper and sprayed. After the power wash in the fall the lower unit of the engine looked as good as, or maybe even better than, everything else below the water line.

Make sure to mask off your zincs first so they remain unpainted, especially in the salt water!

Scott.
ericb760 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to FourthCoast For This Useful Post:
ericb760 (01-31-2014)
Old 01-31-2014
Been there, done that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourthCoast View Post
Hi Ericb,

I suspect my situation is different since my boat was in a slip on a freshwater river last year. However -- everything that touches that river for more than a couple hours comes out with a thick brown slime on it.

I had very good luck with the rattle-can anitifouling paint on my Honda outboard. I just sanded the old antifouling paint once over lightly with some 80-grit paper and sprayed. After the power wash in the fall the lower unit of the engine looked as good as, or maybe even better than, everything else below the water line.

Make sure to mask off your zincs first so they remain unpainted, especially in the salt water!

Scott.
Do you recall how you prepped for the FIRST coat that you ever put on the engine?
Old 01-31-2014

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericb760 View Post
Woohoo, first post! I've been thinking...it's a hassle for me to pull my outboard after every use and, realistically, I have nowhere to strore it but the truck of my car. I've been looking at anti-fouling paint in a spray can to paint the the lower so that I can leave it in the water and only pull it once a week to flush and rinse. Are there any downsides to doing this? I would start with a coat of self-etching zinc chromate primer followed bu a couple of coats of the ant-fouling in a can.
The only thing I have read about is to make sure the paint you apply is compatible with aluminum, or whatever lower units are made of.

Paul T
Old 02-01-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I take it, your outboard is down in a motor well? There are certainly mechanisms that make it fairly easy to pull one up and hold it there. However, the issue is often being unable to close the hatch over it. Again, a dockside hatch could be fashioned.

That said, if this isn't practical, for sure you should paint the lower unit. I've even seen some paint just the back and lowest part, when they can't tilt it fully out of the water. The effort they seem to go through to match the waterline cracks me up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-01-2014
Been there, done that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I take it, your outboard is down in a motor well? There are certainly mechanisms that make it fairly easy to pull one up and hold it there. However, the issue is often being unable to close the hatch over it. Again, a dockside hatch could be fashioned.

That said, if this isn't practical, for sure you should paint the lower unit. I've even seen some paint just the back and lowest part, when they can't tilt it fully out of the water. The effort they seem to go through to match the waterline cracks me up.
Unfortunately, on my Dolphin at least, there is no room in the motor well to tilt the motor out of the water without cutting a large chunk out of the bottom of the transom.
Old 02-01-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericb760 View Post
Unfortunately, on my Dolphin at least, there is no room in the motor well to tilt the motor out of the water without cutting a large chunk out of the bottom of the transom.
Understood. In a well, the mechanism would pull it straight up. That's why I suggested that would probably interfere with the cover hatch, but something else could be fashioned for when at the slip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-03-2014

FourthCoast is on a distinguished road

ericb,

I am sorry I do not know exactly how the engine was prepped before the first coat of antifouling paint. The engine was put on by the previous owner. If you would really like a first hand account of priming and prepping I can try to contact him.

Scott.
Old 02-03-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

Why not pull the motor and store in the cabin locked up sounds like good idea and really cheap to

Old 02-04-2014
Been there, done that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourthCoast View Post
ericb,

I am sorry I do not know exactly how the engine was prepped before the first coat of antifouling paint. The engine was put on by the previous owner. If you would really like a first hand account of priming and prepping I can try to contact him.

Scott.
Thanks, but I don't think it's really rocket science. I figure I'll sand the old and peeling paint off, hit with some aluminum primer, and then spray on the anti-foul.