Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Outboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road
Re: Lightest dinghy motor available

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
I had a smaller one, green top...worked like a charm until one day it just overheated and burned up...never to start again...didnt have money at the time to fix it...

we "upgraded" to a sears 4hp that was a nightmare! ajajajaja but got for like $50
I had a "Wizard" 2 HP outboard I bought for $50 in college. It burned up one night, out frog gigging.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

je

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

Old 02-21-2014

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

I'm absolutely appalled no one has listed a kayak paddle, less than 2 pounds. You could go extreme and get a couple of good oars at 2 pounds each.
Old 02-21-2014
don't like leanin'

Multihullgirl is on a distinguished road

The AquaBug comes in at less than 10 lb. It has an electric head and a combustion head. These can be found on eBay

Our dinghy engine is a 1959 Elgin one-cylinder, about 2hp. I guess it weighs 20-25 lb. I have no problem moving it around the boat
christian.hess likes this.
Old 02-21-2014

hadnt heard of the aqua bug!

nice! very nice

Old 02-21-2014

Froggy is on a distinguished road

Recently I bought a Suzuki 2.5hp. Weighs 30lbs. Self contained fuel tank. Was looking at the Honda 2.3 but don't like the centrifigul clutch. If you give it to much throtle on startup it can start moving and I don't think that is very safe. I have talked to a few Honda owners and they say you get used to it and they are happy with their engines. The Suzuki has F/N and you turn it around for Reverse. The tiller also flips over so you have complete control. I like it and it pushes my WM RU-3 8.5ft inflatable just fine.
Old 02-22-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multihullgirl View Post

Our dinghy engine is a 1959 Elgin one-cylinder, about 2hp. I guess it weighs 20-25 lb. I have no problem moving it around the boat
Thanks for the picture and memories of the Elgin. One of my friends in jr. high school, had an Elgin for his 14 foot skiff and we ran the heck out of that thing.

I remember it well because when we were 14 years old, five of us built a raft and floated down the Yalobusha River in Mississippi from Grenada to Greenwood (about 54 miles). We took that Elgin and my Mercury 7.5 so we could maneuver it. About a mile into the trip, we cranked up the Elgin and promptly got a dragging line caught in the prop and broke the cotter pin and then found we had forgot to bring a spare (which was stupid because we never took that Elgin out that we didn't do something to break a cotter pin). No problem, we just got the Mercury out, and then realized we had left the gas tank for it behind.

So, it took us five days to make what I now refer to as my first cruise.
Multihullgirl likes this.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico

Last edited by Group9; 02-22-2014 at 09:23 AM.
Old 02-22-2014
don't like leanin'

Multihullgirl is on a distinguished road

pic is not of ours although it's the same model. Our engine's history is that it was pushing a bateau round Courville's crawfish ponds in Loreauville, LA until recently.

The tank had, and still has, some varnish/sediment/wtf in it and when in use, the stuff comes out into the little glass bowl until the jets get plugged and the engine will die. Take a sec, clean it out, recrank and generally it starts on first pull. As we've used the engine more and more, it seems that we are finally knocking out all the crap in the tank. And a little judicious use of SeaFoam doesn't hurt either.

The little critter is as dependable as the 5hp 4-stroke Honda that was on my F-27GS trimaran. 'Course that ain't saying much, I kinda don't like engines in general
Old 02-22-2014

seafoam is great for this...love it...judiciously though...

its also a great stabilizer for up to 6 months...or so.

I used it in my atomic 4 gas tank and it cranked right up with a new battery(jajaja) after 8 months...including a winter
Group9 likes this.

Old 02-22-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
seafoam is great for this...love it...judiciously though...

its also a great stabilizer for up to 6 months...or so.

I used it in my atomic 4 gas tank and it cranked right up with a new battery(jajaja) after 8 months...including a winter
Seafoam is one of those products that when you first hear about it, sounds too good to be true. But, it really is a great product.

I had a 1971 Ford Galaxie with a 351 Cleveland that was pinging like crazy until I ran some of that stuff through it. Smoked out the neighborhood with the carbon it flushed out of the cylinders. It was a new motor after that.

I also run it through my 1995 Johnson 200 Ocean Runner 2 stroke outboard at least once a season.

It's good stuff.