Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Outboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road
Re: Lightest dinghy motor available

jaja yup, or you can do the water injection treatment through the intake however you need 2 people for that

it makes even more of a show than seafoam and you have white smoke like to kill malaria(dengue) with for a whole block

I say you need a helper here cause you can water lock the topend if you spray too much water in, I did it a bit on my enduro bike since we dont have seafoam down here

wah wah

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
jaja yup, or you can do the water injection treatment through the intake however you need 2 people for that

it makes even more of a show than seafoam and you have white smoke like to kill malaria(dengue) with for a whole block

I say you need a helper here cause you can water lock the topend if you spray too much water in, I did it a bit on my enduro bike since we dont have seafoam down here

wah wah
Yeah, I've seen it done with water, too, by a really good mechanic, with really good results. But, I was too scared of getting a water lock, too, to try it myself.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 02-22-2014

OPossumTX is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Lightest dinghy motor available

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
I'm absolutely appalled no one has listed a kayak paddle, less than 2 pounds. You could go extreme and get a couple of good oars at 2 pounds each.
The oars I have used could either fix or finish off a bad back. It wasn't from carrying them either.

It helped me but that does not mean it would work for everyone. I got so much better that I use a British Seagull ultralight 40 now. It isn't that light and it is not for sale anyway. I do wish it had reverse though.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 02-22-2014

about rowing

I was a buff young 19 year old on an inflable dinghy...I was strong and determined this was 15 years or so ago.

BUT alas nature always wins...and many times I could not row faster than the 5 knot or so floods and ebbs on the estuary down here and I had to skip from boat to boat completely exhausted

now If I had a kayak I would of been good to go..but then I woukd of needed waterproof everything as the tides are lumpy here

so fwiw

so

Old 02-23-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

I still row my dinghy (an 11 foot whaler) a lot. Sometimes just for fun, and sometimes when I just need to go a short distance and don't feel like mounting the motor.

But, I never like rowing an inflatable much. Four friends and I took an inflatable to the Bahamas back in the 80's, with us for a cruise we took around the northern Bahamas, with nothing but oars, when I was in my 20's and after a while, I found it was easier to jump in and just swim where I needed to go, if getting wet didn't matter.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 02-23-2014
don't like leanin'

Multihullgirl is on a distinguished road

In regards rowing inflatables: the Takacat does row well, actually. I really like the way they have the oars attached for quick deployment (remember, I have the 1959 Elgin).

My prior rowing experience was on a Walker Bay hard dink, so that's my comparison point. I've never needed to row a 'conventional' inflatable. 'Dem's my 'spereinces FWIW.
Old 02-23-2014

RichH will become famous soon enough

The lightest 2HP is/was the Evinrude or Johnson (same engine just different branding) 2 cycle - at about 18lb.
These old 2 cycle OB engines are virtually indestructible and can still be found ebay, etc.

The reason for the light weight is NO transmission, just precisely tune the low speed jet so that the idle speed is minimal or 'just enough' to keep the engine barely ticking. All the carb adjustments for the low speed and high speed jets are conveniently on the face plate - for convenience and easy access. If looking for a good old one, seek out one from the mid 1980s or later; do change out the water pump for a modern one - a retroifit 'insert' into the old water pump casting is available. All parts are still readily available from Bombardier or their USA outboard parts distributors.

Vintage Evinrude 2 HP Horsepower Horse Boat Motor EXC Original Paint on Prop | eBay
Old 02-23-2014
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

I had one of those 2 hp Johnson/Evinrudes in the late 80s. It ran OK for 18 months then became erratic. Tracked it down to the ignition coil replaced that and it was OK for another 18 months before the same thing happened.

By that time the painted pressed steel bits were corroding.

Mine was made in Belgium. Maybe a US made one would still be running ?
Old 02-23-2014

my evinrude 3.3 built in hong kong(good) is 21 years old and looks and runs strong

so it has more to do with maintenance and upkeep and good previous owners than were it was assembled for sure

Old 02-23-2014
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

2 strokes are lighter because they make power with every other stroke of the piston. This allows the engine to be smaller for the same amount of HP a 4 stroke makes because it is literally doing twice the work in the same amount of time

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha