Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Outboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2014
aka $tingy Sailor

This Old Sailboat is on a distinguished road
Re: Outboard advice for 22 footer

Just to add another opinion for what it's worth, my C22 had an 8HP Yamaha on it when we bought it. I love it. Strong, quiet, reliable, easy starting, easy to work on, easy on gas when run at low to mid throttle, everything on it is high quality.

The previous owner got that large of an engine because they often sailed in the San Juan Islands, which have some strong tides and currents and I don't doubt that they needed the extra power at times.

For our sailing in inland northwest lakes, it is a little oversized and I would agree that a 6HP would probably suffice. Speed on the water tops out before full throttle.

The only thing that I don't care for about this motor is its weight at almost 90 lbs. That's a load to mount and dismount when you're trailering like we do. Why I dismount it every time is another story for another time. Otherwise, I agree with what else has been said so far.

Follow my blog at stingysailor.wordpress.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-2014
Fortuitous

chip is on a distinguished road

I've never understood the "strong current" thing. Hull speed is hull speed. You could hang a 25HP motor off the back, and you still won't be able to get much over 6.whatever knots through the water, right?
Old 02-21-2014
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

while thats true what more hp gives you is "reserve" OOMPH if you will

while Im and advocate of keep it small and simple just enough to get to hull speed there are cases when its great to have a little more power

but just so you dont think Im a hp guzzler my auxiliary power on my islander 36 sloop is a 15hp longshaft outboard...

roughly 1hp per ton! jajaja
Old 02-21-2014
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by This Old Sailboat View Post
Just to add another opinion for what it's worth, my C22 had an 8HP Yamaha on it when we bought it. I love it. Strong, quiet, reliable, easy starting, easy to work on, easy on gas when run at low to mid throttle, everything on it is high quality.

The previous owner got that large of an engine because they often sailed in the San Juan Islands, which have some strong tides and currents and I don't doubt that they needed the extra power at times.

For our sailing in inland northwest lakes, it is a little oversized and I would agree that a 6HP would probably suffice. Speed on the water tops out before full throttle.

The only thing that I don't care for about this motor is its weight at almost 90 lbs. That's a load to mount and dismount when you're trailering like we do. Why I dismount it every time is another story for another time. Otherwise, I agree with what else has been said so far.

8hp fourstroke? man thats heavy

on another thread we are talking wieght and my johnson seahorse is longshaft old 80s tech 2 stroke extremely reliable and the thing weighs the same

80lbs or so...

there is a big difference between an 8 and 15...I love yamahas btw

awesome engines my fav are the enduro versions used for panga fishermen here

most reliable engines made
Old 02-21-2014
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

Did I miss what waters you are motoring in?
4hp is fine even in current for a 22 footer.

In the 4hp range you have the option of internal tank with external tank connections. It's true that 4hp and 6hp in a modern brandy new outboard will be about the same weight, and they'll also be stupid heavy (60+lbs).

An older good running 2 stroke 4hp will run you about 35lbs.

Some things to think about... if you rarely use a lot of fuel (seldom motor)... a large external tank gives LOTS of reserve, but also SITS a long time. Without starting another ethanol is crap debate... lets just say, sitting modern fuel isn't good for a motor.

If you are talking about buying new... I strongly recommend you consider buying a LEHR propane 5hp. My opinion is the initial outlay for a slightly pricier external tank (fiberglass), puts the motor slightly higher in price than its' equivalent 4 stroke gas, but it pays off in an easier to maintain cleaner running outboard.

If I were buying new, LEHR would be my first stop. I am told they are mostly the guts of a Yamaha. I think most of the modern small 4 strokes are made by Tohatsu

PS: I have no affiliation with them, and couldn't care less, I've just spent a small fortune maintaining motors over the last 4 years. I didn't buy my boat to maintain a motor, and hate working on them. I'd prefer something rock solid and nearly maintenance free. My 3.5 HP 2 stroke (when it runs right) gives me hull speed at 3/4 throttle.
Old 02-21-2014
aka $tingy Sailor

Just a word about the whole hull speed debate. You can look at it like a car.

If you have to pull out of a parking lot and cross four lanes of heavy traffic to get where you're going and you can only do a maximum of 35 mph, would you rather have a Yugo or a Yukon? Your top speed will be the same in both but one will get you there quicker than the other.

What's true on the street is true on the water; "There's no replacement for cubic inch displacement." It's an exaggeration, of course, but you get the idea. And the prop matters too. In the present reality, we're not talking about a big difference anyway.

Just sayin'

Old 02-21-2014

dabnis is on a distinguished road

All depends on the waters you sail in. We had a Coronado 25 in & out of San Francisco Bay, which can be very nasty at times, strong currents against big winds make for serious chop inside and big capping swells outside. We started with a 6HP 2 stroke which was Ok in calm conditions but struggled in bad conditions.

We went to a 15 HP 2 stroke, same size & weight as the 9.9HP. End of struggling, it would punch through anything that you wanted to punish the boat through at hull speed.
The 9.9 HP would probably been enough, but there were a few times we had the 15 flat out to maintain speed.

I would think the 6 HP Tohatsu, with long shaft & low pitch prop would get it done on a 22 foot boat. As the 4HP & 6 HP are the same size & weight, I would suggest the 6 HP.

Paul T
Old 02-21-2014

Crazy is on a distinguished road

Yes- the same situation as exists with the 9.9 and 15 hp. The 4 hp and 6hp weigh the same and fuel consumption difference is negligible. Why not have more power? Except with the 4/6hp difference: is an alternator available on the 4hp?
As far as electric start- you must go to the 8hp to get that.
Old 02-21-2014
aka $tingy Sailor

For what it's worth, I forgot to mention that the Yamaha F8M comes with an alternator. At least this one did. It is supposed to put out 10A at full throttle.

I just installed the rectifier/regulator (not included) and will be testing the output soon. The results will be on my blog.

So, if battery charging is or will be an issue for you, this is something else to consider. If the output is enough for my needs, it will eliminate or delay the need and additional expense of a solar panel setup.

Old 02-22-2014

PHILIPJEDLICKA is on a distinguished road

Most boats i see in the 22 ft range here in the great lakes have 8-9.9hp outboards. My Edel 665 has an 8 hp yamaha which is great for motoring out with a full load of passengers.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk