Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Outboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2014

Shortnsalty is on a distinguished road
Outboard advice for 22 footer

I am in the process of buying a 22 foot Catalina. The boat i have decided on has no motor. I will be buying a new motor. I have read some conflicting advice on the size of motor to do the job right.
Looking for a motor that will take us in and out of the inlet without a struggle.
Price is not a factor.
I hear from some a 4HP is fine and others say nothing less than a 6HP.
Looking for opinions. Also thoughts on brands to steer for and which to avoid.
The sailing we will be doing is recreational and learning.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2014
Been there, done that...

ericb760 is on a distinguished road
Re: Outboard advice for 22 footer

A 4hp is probably fine on a boat that size. However, I would go with a 6hp for some extra power if you need it, like fighting a strong current. Also, I would definitely invest in a long shaft model. The largest outboard manufacturer in the world is Tohatsu, and most others are just rebranded, more expensive Tohatsu's.

Tohatsu Outboard Motor 6hp 4-Stroke
Old 02-17-2014

Shortnsalty is on a distinguished road

Thx Eric, Looking at your link brought up another question, external or internal tank?
Old 02-17-2014

Letrappes is on a distinguished road
I don't like the internal tanks add they are a mess when you have to fill them. My last boat with an outboard had a 9.9 hp with a 5 gallon external tank. I sailed almost every weekend and refilled it maybe once a year but just disconnecting the tank and taking it with me made it real easy.

Not sure if a Catalina 22 has a spot for a tank locker.
Old 02-17-2014
Been there, done that...

ericb760 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortnsalty View Post
Thx Eric, Looking at your link brought up another question, external or internal tank?
If you have the space I would go with external. You won't have to fill up as often and you can detach it and take it with you to fill. However, if you are going to use it on a dinghy as well, it would be simpler to have an internal tank.
Old 02-17-2014

fred1diver is on a distinguished road

I have a 4hp on a 23 footer, and no problems at all
Old 02-17-2014

dabnis is on a distinguished road

We have a Tohatsu 6HP 4 stroke which runs perfectly. It has an integral tank, a little bit over 1 liter, about 40 minutes running time at wide open throttle, or can hook up to an external tank, which we use now. It seems to start a bit easier with the external tank, as it is pressurized with the primer bulb. I used to carry an extra quart of fuel which was very easy to re-fill the integral tank, but never had to use it in the boat.

Tohatsu 6hp Four-Stroke Outboard Model # MFS6CDS

I believe the 4HP & 6HP motors are the same size & weight. Based on our experience in & out of San Francisco Bay in our Coronado 25, I would recommend the 6HP, long shaft & lower pitch prop. Or, if you could find a good 6HP 2 stroke I think they are about 15 to 20 pounds lighter?

What ever you get, I recommend you drain the carb if you are not going to use it in a week or so. I have used this additive for many years with no fuel related problems, no affiliation, other additives may work as well, or better.

Fuel Additives / Treatments | Berryman Products

Paul T
Old 02-17-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

I had a merc 5hp 2 stroke with inboard tank on a 25ft folkboat all the power and more that I needed...and internal tank...on a spring loaded bracket it was the bees knees

a 4hp is fine...something you can carry wth one arm if need be

keep it simple

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

Old 02-20-2014
Fortuitous

chip is on a distinguished road

I would say nothing more than 6HP.

If money were no object for me, I'd get a Tohatsu Sail-Pro. It's a 6HP, long shaft engine with the high-thrust prop and generator already included.

On my C22, I have a long shaft Tohatsu 5 with the generator and high-thrust prop added as aftermarket options (some by me, some by the previous owner) so mine is nearly a Sail-Pro, but it probably was more expensive to do it like that in the long run, and I'm missing that extra horse.

The 4, 5, and 6HP models are all the exact same block. The only difference is that the carb on the higher HP ones allows the engine to develop more RPMs, but they all weigh the same. Modern Mercuries and Nissans in this size are also rebranded Tohatsus.

The bigger considerations than HP in my mind are the shaft length and prop. Most outboards in this size are meant to get small, light boats (like dinghies and little fishing boats and things) up on plane, so they have high pitched props for high top speed and short shafts since rowboat transoms aren't that far from the water. Your C22 will never get on plane, and will never go any faster than the hull speed, so you're better off with a lower pitch, high surface area prop to get your boat moving. The long shaft is to keep your prop in the water when riding over waves.

I love my elephant ear prop.

Anything over 6HP and you're just wasting gas and making your transom sit lower in the water, in my opinion.
bljones likes this.
Old 02-20-2014

Crazy is on a distinguished road

I've been researching on this for awhile. The 6hp seems to be the accepted size for a 22 foot trailerable sailboat. Gives ya enough oomph to make progress against waves/currents/winds. Nissan, Johnson, Evinrude and Mercury are all rebranded Tohatsus at 25hp and less. The only other options are Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki. Honda only has a 5hp not a 6. For all these reasons in addition to my 45+ years in motorcycling I settle on the Yamaha. EXCEPT (there always is one lol) that Yamaha will only ship to an accredited Yamaha dealer. Who of course will add his fees into the mix and price the Yammy right out of the conversation. Therefore the Tohatsu wins.
BTW the given weights of the latest 4 stroke models (without alternator) are exactly the same as that given for my '71 Johnson 2 stroke longshaft. Howboutdat?