Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Outboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2014

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Mounting Outboard Bracket

I'd side with the choir here. The Fisher is a motorsailor? OK, that's already got two engines, one set on the masts, the other set below deck. That should be enough. Three engines counts as slightly beyond borderline paranoia for one small boat, unless you are planning to go someplace terribly dangerous on a regular basis. (In which case, wrong boat.)

So rather than screw up the boat, because putting 100# outboard of the transom will hurt the balance and motion, and investing all the time and money for something you should never need, I'd buy a good VHF, a good prepaid cell phone, a good anchor, and a five year subscription to a towing service. Also, a case of wine or rum so I could drop anchor, sit back, and wait for the tow in comfort.

You'll spend more money and have a better time.

If I can't trust an inboard engine, I don't want it on the boat. They're hot, noisy, smelly, noisy, and take up gobs of space. If they won't perform on command...line 'em up and make 'em walk the plank. And if they won't walk, hell, shoot 'em. There's no excuse for a lazy inboard engine.
christian.hess likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2014

Froggy is on a distinguished road

Soooo, great feedback.
But the choir has started to sing a different song.
Has anyone had experiance with mounting an outboard on the transom of a sailboat?
How far should the prop be below the waterline/hull.
On adjustable outboard bracket is the "swing" for the distance from the cowling to the transom or for how far to lower the shaft into the water? Or a combination of both?
I really think that Faster has answered my questions but anymore input would be helpful. Thank you.
Old 03-17-2014

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"How far should the prop be below the waterline/hull."
Below the HULL regardless of the waterline. If the prop can't draw in clean (unrestricted) water from in front of it, it won't work well.
Props in aperatures or mounted below the hull...offhand I think the rule of thumb is that they need to be clear below the hull by at least 10% of the prop diameter. So it is not "how far" in inches but "how far" as a percent of the prop diameter. This to keep the water flowing smoothly and make the prop work correctly.
That might be problematic since even with a long shaft outboard, there will be a cavitation plate on the shaft, intended to be submerged at a certain depth, and the prop may or may not be sufficiently clear of the hull, depending on hull depth. IOW if the boat wasn't intended to be driven by an outboard, it is possible you'll just have to ignore the outboard maker's advice and just get what you can out of it.
The amount of lift, what you call "swing", is simply how far up/down the mount is going to shift the engine. Here again, it just may not work well for you. If the engine needs to be submerged "this far" and when you lift it up it is still two feet below the transom...you can throw out your back trying to bend over and reach it.

So the question becomes, what's the draft at your transom? Is it shallow enough to properly it a long shaft engine, at all? Or are you simply so set on having a third engine that you don't care if it can work well at all?

You'd be better off with a dingy and outboard, stowed when not used. Tied alongside and used as a pusher when or if needed. That's pretty much the standard way of 'emergency' use of an outboard on an auxiliary sailboat, and it works very well.
Old 03-19-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

8 inches below(minimum) is a standard for the prop to get decent flow

Ill be using an outboard on my "big boat"...some testing soon but honestly its just for on off moorings and the like everything else will be sailing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-19-2014

Froggy is on a distinguished road

Thank you for that imput!
Old 03-19-2014

JoeLena is on a distinguished road

The bracket I bought for my Rhodes 19 had specific directions and measurements, along with a template for mounting it correctly. The mechanisms on different models with all vary a little bit.
AlaskaMC likes this.
'72 Catalina 27 Tall Rig #519
Old 05-06-2014
Frozen Member

AlaskaMC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLena View Post
The bracket I bought for my Rhodes 19 had specific directions and measurements, along with a template for mounting it correctly. The mechanisms on different models with all vary a little bit.
I am doing the Garalick process right now as a matter of fact and I am confused by your issue you note in the OP. The instructions are specific to shaft length and in mention the difference in mounting the sailboat aux vs a planning hull. The reason for different length shafts in outboards is for different hight transoms and the desired depth of the prop. Mine mentioned somewhere the need for sailboats in high seas to have a deeper mounting. Sound almost like we have different instructions.

Funny about the 3 sources of power though. We have had the same conversation here at our house with our 25' boat. We will be sailing somewhere this summer that is often mirror calm (or raging of course) and we started heading down the backup to the backup plan. In the end we are going with better maintenance on the main aux, and having a small dingy instead (or maybe just a second inflatable kayak and we wait till the wind comes back ).

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.