Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Outboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2014

Froggy is on a distinguished road
Mounting Outboard Bracket

I need help as I am at a loss. I have searched all over the internet and cannot find anything. I want to mount an outboard bracket, I have a Garelick, and am not sure of some things. I have gone to Garelick's instructions page which is helpful but I have questions. The boat has a diesel inboard and the motor is backup. The bracket will sit off to the side. On a sailboat how far should the prop be below the waterline/hull? The boat is a Fisher 25 and is a Motorsailer. The Garelick instructions seem to be for flat bottom boats because if you follow their directions the shaft length would make no difference as the bracket would just be mounted 5"s higher for a 25" than a 20". Also the Mount has a 9.5" "drop" when lowered. Any info. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Mounting Outboard Bracket

You're lucky that it's a Fisher 25 with it's flat transom - the double enders would be a real problem to fabricate a mount adapter.

I'd mount it in the best compromise height that gets the lower end well into the water while still allowing you to reach it for control and retraction from the cockpit. I suspect that might be the limiting factor, actually.

If you can mount it so that the bottom of the bracket is a couple of inches clear of the water at rest when lowered, and use a long shaft, I'm sure it will work as well as you could expect.

Another consideration is the angle of the transom itself.. the engines' trim adjustments seem meant for a mostly vertical transom.. you may want a 'wedge' to plumb up the actual mount so that you can use the trim pin to good effect.

Whether or not it's workable from that height is something you'll have to investigate carefully.

Do you have good access to the internal side of the transom for adding a good strong backing plate? How big an engine are you planning on installing?

I do find it interesting that of all the images available online I've not found one with a bracket installed...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-16-2014

Thanks for the reply.
To answer your questions.
I have access to the interior of the transom so a backing plate should not be problem and I will use a wedge to make the transom plumb. I am thinking about a Tohatsu 9.8hp w/ 25" shaft and electric start (92.5lbs) but I would rather go with a 20". And also if a 6hp could be used I could use it on my dinghy also but it probably would be too underpowered even though it would only be used for an emergency backup.
I have looked all over for how a mounting bracket works but no one not even the manufactures has posted any videos. I have never seen one in action i.e. mounting, travel up and down and so forth. Thanks again for the reply.
Old 03-17-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

It will be difficult to operate without a motor on it.. you'll have problems fighting the springs without the weight of the engine..

It might be worth your while to build a plywood mockup, mount it on that so that you can get an idea of how it works, how far it actually swings down - it would assist in planning the actual install, I'd think.

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Old 03-17-2014

Sounds like a lot of work.
There are pictures of the bracket in the up and the down position on the internet. It was the actual working of going up and down I wanted to see. I want to see what the handle does also. If nobody can point me to a web link as to how it works I will probably just go ask someone at the dock how theirs works. Knowing the depth that the shaft should be in the water/under the waterline is the real question as it is not stated. All Garelick says to do is measure from the engine bracket to the cavatation/airation plate and subtract 2"s and ad that to the waterline distance. It does not really tell you what to do with different length shafts. If you follow that logic it just raises a 25" shaft up 5"s higher than a 20" shaft mounting spot which I'm thinking that that maybe not what the extra long shaft is for. I might be wrong of course.
Old 03-17-2014
Just another Moderator

The business of '2" below the run of the hull' is meant for a planing hull. For a displacement hull subject to pitching in waves you want the prop as deep as you can get it. I'd ignore those guidelines for what you're trying to do.

Like I said before, I'd shoot for the bottom of the bracket a few inches above the static waterline and use a 25" longshaft ..

One other thing about your angled transom.. you need to be sure that there's clearance to fully tilt the motor and latch it in the up position.. it's not unusual for the cowling to hit the back of the boat before the latch can engage, esp when a bracket is mounted lower on the transom.

As far as operation goes, you lift the handle up and aft - it releases the notch, push the engine down or let it drop (depending on springs vs engine weight) The notches allow you to select various bracket drops, usually in this case you want the lowest position in any case. To retract, you do the same, push handle aft and lift and pull.

Old 03-17-2014
Been there, done that...

ericb760 is on a distinguished road

This link shows a Fisher 25 with an outboard motor mount. If you feel safe aasuming that it is positioned correctly, you can extrapolate from the pictures where to place the mount. My concern would be the outboard interfering with the rudder...
Fisher 25 Motorsailer
Old 03-17-2014

Thanks Faster and Ericb.
Faster that is just what I was worried about. Not only the handle hitting the transom when trying to release it but also the cowling. The clearance of the prop from the water in the up position is also a concern. That's why a 20" might be a better fit.
Ericb that is a nice looking Fisher. Wish it was mine! It would be nice to see the engine and what size it was and how well it worked for pushing it.
Ah, the cost of paranoia. It ain't cheap!
Old 03-17-2014

FSMike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
---
Ah, the cost of paranoia. It ain't cheap!
True. I'd rather spend a little time and money making sure my diesel was well maintained instead of
spending more time and money hanging an unattractive bracket off the boat. Got a dinghy? In case of emergency use the dink, with a small kicker you can maneuver the big boat around.
Heck, you can push a 25' boat, even a Fisher, with a yuloh.
Faster likes this.

Last edited by FSMike; 03-17-2014 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-17-2014
Just another Moderator

Mike's absolutely right.. if this is totally a 'if my diesel fails' measure.. a hip tow with a dinghy and a small outboard is probably the plan. Less angst, and given good maintenance needing any of it is a long odds scenario.