SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Outboard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/outboard/)
-   -   Dolfin planing plates for small outboard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/outboard/129209-dolfin-planing-plates-small-outboard.html)

Tayana42 03-22-2014 05:09 PM

Dolfin planing plates for small outboard

Is there any advantage to adding Dolfin plates to my Tohatsu 3.5 on my 8.6 air floor dinghy? Will they fit on the small cavitation plates?

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk

mad_machine 03-22-2014 06:34 PM

Re: Dolfin planing plates for small outboard

even on bigger engines, I think all those did was plane money out of your wallet

FSMike 03-22-2014 07:04 PM

There is more than one size (and manufacturer) available. You should be able to find one for most small outboards. I have found them to make a sizable difference in the ability to plane, especially when the dink is heavily loaded.
Of course, if you have a 15' dinghy and a 2hp engine ain't nothin' gonna help.

TQA 03-22-2014 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tayana42 (Post 1655945)
Is there any advantage to adding Dolfin plates to my Tohatsu 3.5 on my 8.6 air floor dinghy? Will they fit on the small cavitation plates?

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk

Do Dolphin fins help to get a dink onto the plane YES>

But expecting to get on the plane with a 3.5hp OB is optimistic. It might just if you weigh 90lbs and have a really clean bottom.:laugher

jimgo 03-22-2014 10:27 PM

TQA, why does it matter how well I clean MY bottom? My inflatable has a clean bottom; isn't that enough?

MarkofSeaLife 03-23-2014 08:37 AM

They wont work for your dinghy as I doubt you can plane with a 3.5.

The dolphin fins do slow you down a bit. So they are only effective making a boat and ob that planes do so faster and with more stability when on the plane.

dabnis 03-23-2014 07:07 PM

I put one on my 16 foot fishing boat with a 35 HP outboard. In rough ocean waters it helped keep the bow down at slow to medium speeds, about all that we could run without beating the boat to death. Not sure if I lost any top speed, but I don’t think so. Also had an 8 foot inflatable raft with a 2HP Honda on it. I doubt putting a plate on your motor would help in any way.

Paul T

Zanshin 03-26-2014 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mad_machine (Post 1656177)
even on bigger engines, I think all those did was plane money out of your wallet

I disagree, I've had 3 outboards onto which I mounted the Dolphin or similar plates and it has made a world of a difference each time. No cavitation anymore and the dinghies really do go on a plane much faster. I had 9.8HP Tohatsu engines but I think that smaller engines will profit and gain performance as well.

dabnis 03-26-2014 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dabnis (Post 1659833)
I put one on my 16 foot fishing boat with a 35 HP outboard. In rough ocean waters it helped keep the bow down at slow to medium speeds, about all that we could run without beating the boat to death. Not sure if I lost any top speed, but I don’t think so. Also had an 8 foot inflatable raft with a 2HP Honda on it. I doubt putting a plate on your motor would help in any way.

Paul T

One way to find out, try one. All it costs is a little bit of money & a few holes in your cavitation plate.

Paul T

boatpoker 03-26-2014 07:57 PM

In order for a dinghy to plane is must have a planing hull form. A flat bottom inflatable will not plane no matter how much power or what you do to it.