SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Outboard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/outboard/)
-   -   Impeller replacement Merc 5hp (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/outboard/132306-impeller-replacement-merc-5hp.html)

jballou 04-05-2014 11:39 AM

Impeller replacement Merc 5hp

Looks like I will be needing to replace the impeller on my Merc 5hp. Or at least the outboard is not peeing.

I have the replacement kit.

Anything special I need to be aware about? Is this a tricky job? First time doing this.

Thanks for any advice.

jballou

newhaul 04-05-2014 11:46 AM

Re: Impeller replacement Merc 5hp

Nothing tricky to it its rather straight forward the only thing to watch and insure its correct is the proper direction of rotation on the impeller also I find that a spray with WD40 works great to facilitate the installation of the new impeller

jballou 04-05-2014 12:45 PM

Great! Thanks. Anything else that could be preventing water flow through the pump that I should check out?

OPossumTX 04-05-2014 01:24 PM

Around here, any stoppage involving a small hole should be checked to rule out mud dauber infestation. These pests will fill any small hole with their mud nests, spiders and their eggs/larva. I have to clean out the discharge hole on my little British Seagull outboard every spring and as necessary throughout the summer.

Have FUN!
O'

dabnis 04-05-2014 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jballou (Post 1706754)
Great! Thanks. Anything else that could be preventing water flow through the pump that I should check out?

No experience with your motor. On mine the thermostat could get plugged up, but there was a small by-pass hole in the housing, allowing a small bit of water to pass, maybe not enough to flow out the pee hole. Checking the thermostat might be easier than changing the impeller. Or, if the motor is not overheating, the pee hole may be plugged? Pulling the head to check for plugged water passages may also be easier than changing the impeller.

I have changed a few impellers and found that getting the water feed tube back into the power head was challenging. Finally figured out that tipping the motor upside down made it a lot easier to see what I was doing.

Paul T

newhaul 04-06-2014 11:44 AM

The five HP merc its easier to change the impeller however a length of bailing wire into the pee hose would clear any minor blockages also the pee water is derived from the exhaust cooling water check the impeller first they should be inspected annually anyway (ounce of prevention and all ) also the water cooling feed line boot is in the lower unit on the little mercs.

jballou 04-19-2014 11:54 AM

OK - thanks everyone for the useful comments. Impeller has been replaced - not difficult at all!

But now I am having trouble re-inserting the lower unit back into the drive shaft housing. Unit will go in until it feels like the drive shaft is bumping up against something - about 3" short. So the drive shaft is not going in enough. Gear shift is in reverse.

Any ideas on what might be the problem and how to solve it would be greatly appreciated!

cheers - jballou

dabnis 04-19-2014 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jballou (Post 1753146)
OK - thanks everyone for the useful comments. Impeller has been replaced - not difficult at all!

But now I am having trouble re-inserting the lower unit back into the drive shaft housing. Unit will go in until it feels like the drive shaft is bumping up against something - about 3" short. So the drive shaft is not going in enough. Gear shift is in reverse.

Any ideas on what might be the problem and how to solve it would be greatly appreciated!

cheers - jballou

It is possible that the splines are not lined up on either, or both, the power head or gear box. With the spark plug removed, try turning the engine over, slowly and then the prop with it in gear. I hope you did not take the shaft out of the gear casing as it may be difficult to re-insert it? No experience with your particular motor, but IIRC on OMC motors, the gears may "mis-align" when the shaft is removed.

Paul T

jballou 04-19-2014 03:31 PM

Yup. It was just a line-up problem. A matter of getter it exact.

Thanks.

dabnis 04-19-2014 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jballou (Post 1753706)
Yup. It was just a line-up problem. A matter of getter it exact.

Thanks.

Life is good!! :D

Paul T