Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Outboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2014

jzk is on a distinguished road
Re: Legality of 2 strokes.

I notice that the evenrude 15hp weighs in at around 170 lbs. What is the point of a 2 stroke that is heavier than the 4 stroke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Evinrude sells a 2-stroke.

http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/extra/data

I'm curious. Why would you have a problem buying one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-02-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzk View Post
I notice that the evenrude 15hp weighs in at around 170 lbs. What is the point of a 2 stroke that is heavier than the 4 stroke?
I don't know. Perhaps it is due to the EPA standards they had to meet in order to keep it on the market?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 05-02-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

Just like in motorcycles the hole shot with a 2 stroke tends to be better. Also given such a simple engine easy to wrench. I had a old sea gull that I used for 20+ years. Finally gave it away as could not get parts with out a lot of hassle. I have a 2HP Yamaha 2 stroke of same vintage which I still use on a square back canoe for fishing. It sits for months - then one pull and it goes. No neutral or reverse so not a good dinghy engine.
It's a shame they were outlawed. If the Yama got wet a squirt of ether in the cylinder put the plug back in and go to town. Amount of pollution trivial compared with a poorly tuned 4 stroke or when a 4 stroke is run with choke or too rich.
Old 05-02-2014

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Evinrude sells a 2-stroke.

http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/extra/data

I'm curious. Why would you have a problem buying one?
Not sure what the Federal regulations are/were. However, Lake Tahoe, which is about 20 miles from us, prohibits any carbureted two strokes. IIRC, some of the manufacturers are offering direct injection 2 strokes on larger motors which apparently meet the emission requirements as shown on the link.

It was said that the 2 stroke ban on Tahoe was merely a backdoor attempt to ban Jet Skis. Along came 4 stroke and direct injection 2 stroke jet skis, which are still with us.

Some years back there was proposed legislation, which was narrowly defeated, in California, to ban 2 strokes on any body of water that eventually drained into any drinking water supply. That would have effected almost all fresh water lakes in the state. It seems likely, to me, anyway, that the EPA will do that, and not allow existing 2 strokes to be grandfathered.

I have owned 8 - 2 stroke outboards, both large & small, plus 2 -4 strokes which are considerately heavier than comparable 4 strokes. 2 strokes are much easier to start manually, and when properly jetted & run hard, smoke very little, just at low speed & when first started. I was forced to buy a 4 stroke to fish on Lake Tahoe, but no doubt 2 strokes will be banned on all fresh water sources, followed by coastal salt water & bays.

Paul T
Old 05-02-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Thanks Paul. Your response covers the use of. The OP asked for the regulations covering the sale of. My confusion.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 05-02-2014

Stumble is on a distinguished road

The issue for the EPA is that car berated 2 strokes discharge a lot of crap into the water. Oil, unburned fuel soot, ect... On average they discharge about four times the amount that a four stroke does.

In this one while I hate the regulation I appreciate it. The EPA didn't say you couldn't use two strokes, just that if you did they had to meet certain discharge requirements. While this effectively eliminated all small two strokes it does allow manufacturers the ability to play with the technology if they can figure out a way to make them clean enough.
Old 05-02-2014

tommays will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I don't know. Perhaps it is due to the EPA standards they had to meet in order to keep it on the market?

The 15 is heavy because it is a detuned BIG HP motor in and attempt to see how small a motor they can bring the technology to and be cost effective

None of the motors are light as soon as they get electric start and tilt trim packages never-mind remote controls

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 05-02-2014

Quote:
Thanks Paul. Your response covers the use of. The OP asked for the regulations covering the sale of. My confusion.
No problem, it is all kind of mixed together, like 2 stroke oil. (sorry)

I guess, if you can find a new small, 10 HP or less, 2 stroke, you can still use it in many places, FOR NOW. Maybe you could buy a new one in Mexico?

Looks like 40 HP is where you can get a direct injection 2 stroke in Tohatsu, anyway, but with no weight savings over the 35HP jet drive 4 stroke.

http://www.onlineoutboards.com/Tohat...hp-and-up.html

Paul T

Last edited by dabnis; 05-02-2014 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
The issue for the EPA is that car berated 2 strokes discharge a lot of crap into the water. Oil, unburned fuel soot, ect... On average they discharge about four times the amount that a four stroke does.

In this one while I hate the regulation I appreciate it. The EPA didn't say you couldn't use two strokes, just that if you did they had to meet certain discharge requirements. While this effectively eliminated all small two strokes it does allow manufacturers the ability to play with the technology if they can figure out a way to make them clean enough.
Right, like a double edged sword. We now have 4 stroke snowmobiles, jet skis,
and of course outboards, driven by emissions regulations. Out of the 10 off road motorcycles I had two were 4 strokes. I hated both of them, heavy for their power, and a killer to re-start if you dropped it.

However, 4 strokes don't smoke or smell much, that is about the only good thing about them. For the most part they are considerably heavier than comparable powered 2 strokes and, in my experience, harder to manually start than 2 strokes. It will be interesting to see if the industry continues to improve & lighten them or if they just say "what you see is what you get" ?

I hope it is the former.

Paul T
Old 05-03-2014

Stumble is on a distinguished road

Paul,

They are already working on smaller and smaller four strokes. The weight is coming down, but at least for small racing boats old seagulls will continue to be the best option available.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.