Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Outboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2014

jzk is on a distinguished road
Re: Legality of 2 strokes.

Ok, let me ask this question. If there were no prohibitions regarding 2 strokes, what engine would you get? Would you get a lighter 2 stroke, or do you feel that 4 strokes have come far enough that you wouldn't even bother with the 2 stroke if it were available?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2014
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzk View Post
Ok, let me ask this question. If there were no prohibitions regarding 2 strokes, what engine would you get? Would you get a lighter 2 stroke, or do you feel that 4 strokes have come far enough that you wouldn't even bother with the 2 stroke if it were available?

Thanks!
One factor influencing the choice is where you will be using the motor. Within the US, finding service outlets for a four cycle may not prove too difficult. Elsewhere, however, it can be very problematic and the 4 cycle does not lend itself to owner/operator repair too well. The issue of weight is also a big factor on a boat as moving an outboard from the boat to the dinghy can be a difficult process and is more so the heavier the motor. We elected a 2 cycle 15hp engine that weighs roughly 40% less than an equivalent power 4 cycle. Ours is reasonably efficient and, properly tuned, produces almost no smoke or sheen on the water.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 05-03-2014

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
One factor influencing the choice is where you will be using the motor. Within the US, finding service outlets for a four cycle may not prove too difficult. Elsewhere, however, it can be very problematic and the 4 cycle does not lend itself to owner/operator repair too well. The issue of weight is also a big factor on a boat as moving an outboard from the boat to the dinghy can be a difficult process and is more so the heavier the motor. We elected a 2 cycle 15hp engine that weighs roughly 40% less than an equivalent power 4 cycle. Ours is reasonably efficient and, properly tuned, produces almost no smoke or sheen on the water.

FWIW...

Well said. I bought my first outboard when I was 12 years old in 1947, a Johnson 5 HP two stroke. Ran it wide open, except when trolling, for many, many years with no problem. Finally gave it to a friend and it later got plugged up with salt. I guess he didn't flush it? Over the years, I had about 8 2 stroke outboards & about 8 or 9 2 stroke off road motorcycles. They are light, simple, easier to start than 4 strokes, and run for a long, long time, without valves & oil changes.

JZ, I would take a 2 stroke outboard or motorcycle, over a 4 stroke any day.
Unfortunately, I was forced to buy a 4 stroke to fish on Lake Tahoe, and likely other lakes in the future.

Paul T
Old 05-03-2014

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzk View Post
I notice that the evenrude 15hp weighs in at around 170 lbs. What is the point of a 2 stroke that is heavier than the 4 stroke?
That's because the Evinrude 15HP IS a 4 Stroke... Only the larger engines, above 25HP. in the Evinrude line, are ETEC 2 strokes....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 05-03-2014 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Paul,

They are already working on smaller and smaller four strokes. The weight is coming down, but at least for small racing boats old seagulls will continue to be the best option available.
"Sea Gulls"? I had a 2HP Honda 4 stroke for many years, great motor, 27 pounds.

From what I have read, Tohatsu now makes most/all of the motors from about 15 HP down, except for Honda & Yamaha, who still make from small to large motors themselves. Larger Evinrudes are made by Bombardier & I think Mercury makes their own larger motors, some in China & some in Wisconsin.

So, in the smaller category, up to about 15 HP, which would apply to most sail boat owners, we have:

1. Tohatsu

2. Honda

3. Yamaha

I hope there is enough competition among them for continuing improvement, primarily size & weight. I guess time will tell. Long live the existing 2 strokes, if "they" will "allow" us to use them.

Paul T
Old 05-03-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

I have an Evinrude E-TEC 150 on my work boat. I have yet to find anyone willing to service it in the middle or upper Chesapeake so I know more about the engine than I care to.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-03-2014

Stumble is on a distinguished road

Paul,

My outboard was selected based entirely on weight. To meet racing requirements all I needed was about 2hp. I didn't need or want anything more. Unfortunately the lightest motor I could find was ~38lbs. Then we stripped everything off the motor that wasn't critical and were able to get it down to 34lbs or so. It was ugly and probably wouldn't work for long, but racing sailboats are weird things... You spend a lot of money of new stuff just to take a hacksaw to it.
Old 05-03-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

Here's an idea small diesel outboards comparable to or a little lighter than 4 stroke gasoline
Diesel Outboards | Klaxon Diesel Outboards

Old 05-03-2014

jzk is on a distinguished road

That is not the information that I am seeing. I see a very heavy 2 stroke evinrude being offered for sale:

15-HO High Output (H.O.) Engines | Evinrude USA

High Output (H.O.) Performance to the Max Engines | Evinrude USA

Be sure to read the explanation about how there are no oil changes, that the oil is burned in combustion. The 15hp is 181 lbs and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
That's because the Evinrude 15HP IS a 4 Stroke... Only the larger engines, above 25HP. in the Evinrude line, are ETEC 2 strokes....
Old 05-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Here's an idea small diesel outboards comparable to or a little lighter than 4 stroke gasoline
Diesel Outboards | Klaxon Diesel Outboards
Oh my, I wonder if they include ear protection with the motor? With all the grief automotive diesels have to go through, I wonder if the EPA will "allow" them?

Paul T