Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Outboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road
Re: 3.3 dies under power

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf38 View Post
The screw in the side of the carb is the idle speed adjustment. It's not a nozzle or anything but it's like a stopper for the whole carb assembly that sets the lower bound of the throttle. Besides doing that, shouldn't have any other effect on performance.

I don't know how many turns it is, I just adjusted it until I liked the idle speed. Before adjusting it was a bit too fast.

No, please keep "bugging" me.

So I moved the clip from richer to leaner (notch 3 to notch 2). Per the service manual notch 2 is the factory standard. The manual said a classic case of too rich was losing power at 2/3 throttle, and since my engine seemed to be doing that, I moved the clip (this was before my current problem).

So it always starts first pull after stalling which makes it seem like it isn't flooding.

thats what I was commenting on...usually you get a fumbling gurgling sound when the engine is running to reach and very hard to attain if not impossible to attain full throttle

in BOLD that is often called a fuel screw, thats what I was saying...you must know what its set at...you will not idle well and it might be the big cause of trouble...

also your manual shold state how many turns for "normal" sea conditions...again as a starting point.

for your info fuel screws on 2 strokes carbs often richen up the mixture(more fuel per air particles) when turning the screw IN

on most 4 strokes the fuel screw or idle enrichment screw the opposite is true...OUT means more fuel.

so make sure by all means you count how many turns out you are

report back

I don't see any signs of head gasket leaks. No residue on the outside or anything. It looks fine.

thats what I was commenting on...usually you get a fumbling gurgling sound when the engine is running to rich and very hard to attain if not impossible to attain full throttle

thats why in gear its loaded more and when not in gear or neutral you can acheive full throttle

in BOLD that is often called a fuel screw, thats what I was saying...you must know what its set at...you will not idle well and it might be the big cause of trouble...

also your manual shold state how many turns for "normal" sea conditions...again as a starting point.

for your info fuel screws on 2 strokes carbs often richen up the mixture(more fuel per air particles) when turning the screw IN

on most 4 strokes the fuel screw or idle enrichment screw the opposite is true...OUT means more fuel.

report back

I would put a new plug in after adjusting the idle speed adjustment and see if you see any improvement

if none of this improves(even leaning it out more on the needle) look at your plug cap, if it has a resistor and the condition of your coil

the shop manual should have the resistances the coil has

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

Last edited by christian.hess; 06-05-2014 at 03:12 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2014

asdf38 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
thats what I was commenting on...usually you get a fumbling gurgling sound when the engine is running to rich and very hard to attain if not impossible to attain full throttle

thats why in gear its loaded more and when not in gear or neutral you can acheive full throttle

report back

I would put a new plug in after adjusting the idle speed adjustment and see if you see any improvement

if none of this improves(even leaning it out more on the needle) look at your plug cap, if it has a resistor and the condition of your coil

the shop manual should have the resistances the coil has
Christian, I'm pretty sure the screw on the side has nothing to do with rich or lean. It simply sets a lower limit on the throttle by preventing the carb from closing beyond a certain point. So screwing it in or out is identical in effect to moving the throttle lever up or down.

But, I solved my problem at least for the moment: I bought a new engine. A tohatsu version of this same engine.

The good thing here is that when I have time, I'll be able to swap parts between them (especially the carb) which will be great for isolating the problem.

I'll be sure to post back results when I get around to it. Eventually I'll get both engines working and sell one.
Old 06-06-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

well thats good, so your carb has no fuel screw or lean rich adjustment anywhere?

I have an evinrude 3.3 and it has the exact same screw, probably same carb its spirng loaded its not a throttle arm stopper set screw but indeed a idle adjustment screw

parts #22 and #23 on your carb diagram

on many parts fiches they are simply called screws...I dont see a throttle arm stopper like you are talking about at least on my carb

from the looks if it these carbs are the exact same...

Islander 36 refit still going on...

Last edited by christian.hess; 06-06-2014 at 04:41 PM.
Old 06-06-2014

Boredop is on a distinguished road

Tank vent.
Old 06-09-2014

capecodda is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
I have one of these clockwork yoyos and the symptoms you give are something I have experienced.

Fixed it by ensuring that the whole fuel system was clean. Starting with fuel line from the tank through the fuel switch to the bowl and through the main jet.

There is a secondary jet controlled by the screw with the spring on the side of the carb. Critical if you want a good idle.

Mine has displayed the symptoms you list after getting bad fuel but cleaning the fuel system has always restored normal service. I would go through your fuel system again and make sure you are not feeding it fuel with water in it.

Tohatsu 3.3 with N/F built 2006.
Have you thrown away all the old gas, started with a clean gas tank and supply hose, then re-clean the carb with carb cleaner, leave the cap off the gas tank you know it's venting...and then does it still happen.

I've had similar experiences, not tossed the fuel, and it keeps reoccurring till you do.