Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Outboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2014

asdf38 is on a distinguished road
3.3 dies under power

So I've taken this engine down to the chlhead and back fixing various things.

What I've fixed:
-Didn't pump water well
-Stuck carb (stuck open, drained a couple has tanks)
-Totally 100% cleaned the carb (which had recently been replaced, per paperwork I got with the engine)
-replaced head gasket while investigating the cooling issue.

Following that it seemed to run pretty well. Though on the air floor 8'6" it didn't rev up past ~2/3 throttle and perhaps decreased somewhat beyond that (it did this before my repairs too). I tentatively attributed that to drag and the inability to get on plane.

However, on a long trip, after 2 hours of running fine at half throttle it stalled out. Eventually I realized that it ran fine at idle speed and just above, but stalled beyond that. But only in gear. In neutral it revs fine though perhaps rough sounding?

Finally after this I checked the carb completely again, replaced the spark plug and changed the crankcase fluid. The prop seems to spin fine in neutral and in gear it turns over the engine as I would expect. The next day I put it on the boat and it was exactly the same. Barely runs above idle, but only has a problem in gear.

So I'm at a loss. I've done my very best to rule out the carb, it has new gas with 50:1 oil, it starts and idles easily but just dies very quickly in gear with throttle.

EDIT: Whoops, this is a Mercury 3.3 2-stroke 2003 (Same as the Nissan/Tohatsu/Mariner)

Last edited by asdf38; 06-04-2014 at 10:42 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road
Re: 3.3 dies under power

what kind of exhaust does it have? or where does the fumes go? good flow?

did yo check that the cylinder head for warpage?

what 3.3 is it? evinrude?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-03-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

What engine?

On the Nissan/Merc/Tohatsu/ etc there's a hidden jet under a rubber plug in the main carb body once you remove the bowl.. we've had similar behaviour fixed by blowing out that jet - it's easy to miss.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 06-03-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

btw 2 hours is a long time running....so if its doing it on one circuit of the carb faster might be right you might be a bit lean there or something is still plugged up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-04-2014

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

Changed crankcase oil AND new 50/1 gas mixture? Is this a 2-stroke or 4-stroke engine?
Old 06-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
what kind of exhaust does it have? or where does the fumes go? good flow?

did yo check that the cylinder head for warpage?

what 3.3 is it? evinrude?
The exaust just goes down the shaft and out into the water. When I rev in idle the exaust increases significantly and seems ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faster
What engine?

On the Nissan/Merc/Tohatsu/ etc there's a hidden jet under a rubber plug in the main carb body once you remove the bowl.. we've had similar behaviour fixed by blowing out that jet - it's easy to miss.
Yep that's the engine. 2 Stroke. Sorry for leaving it out.

Yes I'm pretty positive I checked that jet. It's the one that goes down through the donut float and is what sucks gas up and into the engine right? The little cup shaped nozzle on the end screws off and I checked it.

Again the carb is basically brand new and looks it. I havn't found anything that looks wrong with it whatsoever and have now blown carb cleaner through everything. The actual problem it had was with the float switch, which wasn't closing.

That does seem to finally be fixed. First I bent the float arms a bit so it would close the valve with more force. Then after my throttle problems I double checked the height of the arms against the service manual and ended up bending them back a bit.

I could believe that if not enough gas was in the bowl it might struggle at higher loads, but now it's behaved identically with two different adjustments of these arms.

I did make an adjustment to the clip on carb needle which sets rich/lean. It was on the 3rd setting (rich I think) instead of the factory suggested 2nd setting. This was before my 2 hour trip but after I had done some test runs and noticed that the engine might not be running at full power. This adjustment didn't seem to produce any difference.
Old 06-04-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
Changed crankcase oil AND new 50/1 gas mixture? Is this a 2-stroke or 4-stroke engine?
is this a serious question? or a mistake?

Old 06-04-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf38 View Post
The exaust just goes down the shaft and out into the water. When I rev in idle the exaust increases significantly and seems ok.

Yep that's the engine. 2 Stroke. Sorry for leaving it out.

Yes I'm pretty positive I checked that jet. It's the one that goes down through the donut float and is what sucks gas up and into the engine right? The little cup shaped nozzle on the end screws off and I checked it.

Again the carb is basically brand new and looks it. I havn't found anything that looks wrong with it whatsoever and have now blown carb cleaner through everything. The actual problem it had was with the float switch, which wasn't closing.

That does seem to finally be fixed. First I bent the float arms a bit so it would close the valve with more force. Then after my throttle problems I double checked the height of the arms against the service manual and ended up bending them back a bit.

I could believe that if not enough gas was in the bowl it might struggle at higher loads, but now it's behaved identically with two different adjustments of these arms.

I did make an adjustment to the clip on carb needle which sets rich/lean. It was on the 3rd setting (rich I think) instead of the factory suggested 2nd setting. This was before my 2 hour trip but after I had done some test runs and noticed that the engine might not be running at full power. This adjustment didn't seem to produce any difference.
ok most carbs have a specific float height...usually parallel to the float bowl edge...
also did you move the clip up or down...if the clip goes up effectively you are leaning out the mix if you go all the way down it will allow max fuel flow

so your stalling out at this point in time can be due to either an extreme lean condition or a too rich condition..both can stall out an engine...

a lean condition will usually be heard by revs hanging then dying
an overly rich condition will stall out after doing an idle skip if you will from full throttle in other words it will dip then go back up and then die...

this is in general terms...which one are you experiencing? when you give it full throttle can you acheive it sometime or will it always die before? or can it run at full throttle a bit then die out?

do you have a shop manual or better pics so we can see?

you might be starving the carb of fuel when giving it full throttle...regarding the float level tab you bent

start always and diagnose one thing at a time

only do ONE adjustment at a time...

once you do a jet change, change float level and mess with the needle there is no way you can find out where your problem is...

start with stock settings and adjust one thing at a time

cheers
Brewgyver likes this.

Old 06-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
ok most carbs have a specific float height...usually parallel to the float bowl edge...
also did you move the clip up or down...if the clip goes up effectively you are leaning out the mix if you go all the way down it will allow max fuel flow

so your stalling out at this point in time can be due to either an extreme lean condition or a too rich condition..both can stall out an engine...

a lean condition will usually be heard by revs hanging then dying
an overly rich condition will stall out after doing an idle skip if you will from full throttle in other words it will dip then go back up and then die...

this is in general terms...which one are you experiencing? when you give it full throttle can you acheive it sometime or will it always die before? or can it run at full throttle a bit then die out?

do you have a shop manual or better pics so we can see?

you might be starving the carb of fuel when giving it full throttle...regarding the float level tab you bent

start always and diagnose one thing at a time

only do ONE adjustment at a time...

once you do a jet change, change float level and mess with the needle there is no way you can find out where your problem is...

start with stock settings and adjust one thing at a time

cheers
I haven't made the timeline completely clear but I have done things one step at a time

So my understanding was that the fuel level in the bowl wasn't critical so long as it fell within the right range?

One peice of evidence for this is that you can cut off the fuel and the engine will run fine for a while as it empties the gas in the bowl until eventually cutting out. Right?

So basically if I'm in gear, I can slowly increase the throttle. The engine revs up slightly to a point. Beyond this point it starts to slow down, there is a pretty narrow range where it will run at a slower speed, but anything beyond that and it stalls out. This all happens at < ~15% throttle.

So I don't feel like it dips or does anything before cutting out like you're describing. It just slows down with increased throttle and then cuts.

Again, in neutral it revs much better. Is it perfect? I'm not sure, because I'm not sure I know what this engine is supposed to sound/act like at full revs. But it seems ok. If anything is wrong here it may sound a bit rough.

This is the carb diagram:
Mercury Marine 3.3 HP Carburetor Parts

This is the service manual I've been using
Boatinfo - Mercury Service Manual for 2,2-2,5-3,0-3,3 hp
Old 06-04-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

sorry if Im not understanding is it cutting out at or around 1/4 throttle?

can you attain full throttle in gear at all?

have you verified the gear oil and that the prop spins well in gear?

next time try this cut off fuel...then whack the throttle...will it attain higher throttle?

if so its a classic flooding symptom caused by the bad float level...in other words you cant burn up the fuel fast enough...

lastly and this might be a pain you need more sparkplugs and use a new plug for each change...

make sure they arent completely fouled...when doing your tests...a fouled plug will stall out your engine too

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.