Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Outboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By nccouple
  • 2 Post By chrissailorman

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2014
Scurvy Dog

Reef33 is on a distinguished road
Question Bringing Outboard Back To Life

I have a 1993 Johnson Sailmaster 8.0hp that has been in "storage" for about 8 years. Okay.... it's been sitting in the yard for 8 years. Any tips on bringing it back to life? It had not been winterized, but I'm going to get around to it any day now.....

Bonus Question: I thought at one time you could get an electric starter for these motors, but I can't Google anything on the subject to save my butt. Anybody know if there is such a thing?

Doggone size restrictions on photos on this forum

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Bringing Outboard Back To Life-20140608_171828a.jpg   Bringing Outboard Back To Life-20140608_171642a.jpg   Bringing Outboard Back To Life-20140608_171659a.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Scourge of the Upper Chesapeake since 1993.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-09-2014
Banned

nccouple is on a distinguished road
Re: Bringing Outboard Back To Life

Ok this can be done but it will take a little work, I've done it more than once. After 8 years its probably locked up. First thing is to remove the spark plugs, set the motor down with the plug holes facing upwards and fill the cylinders with penetrating oil. the let it sit, longer the better. After a couple days of soaking, get a wooden dowel or a brass rod and gently tap the cylinders to try to break them free.

After that you'll need to clean and rebuild the carb, replace the water impeller. make sure you got good fire, replace fuel & water lines. Plugs of course. Clean the fuel tank. Then give her a test drive and see what else needs fixed.

I have a 85 year old Johnson that I got running like a top.
Tempest and christian.hess like this.
Old 06-09-2014
Scurvy Dog

Thanks NC. It is actually not seized up. I can pull the starter cord and move the pistons. But I didn't dare try to start it without new plugs and new fuel. I plan on an all new fuel system. Plugs, of course. New lower unit oil. The carb was rebuilt in 2006, but I'll clean it. I don't understand why I need to replace the water impeller?
Old 06-09-2014
Banned

nccouple is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef33 View Post
Thanks NC. It is actually not seized up. I can pull the starter cord and move the pistons. But I didn't dare try to start it without new plugs and new fuel. I plan on an all new fuel system. Plugs, of course. New lower unit oil. The carb was rebuilt in 2006, but I'll clean it. I don't understand why I need to replace the water impeller?
Good deal, that its not seized. I just picked up a 1972 mercury for my dinghy. It run like crap. new plugs and I pulled the fuel line to the carb, filled the carb up with carb cleaner, let it sit for a bit and it runs great now. I forgot to mention the lower unit oil, I knew I was forgetting something.

The water impeller is a must do, even on running motors you need to replace them every 2 or 3 years. Mine just come out in pieces. Its not that hard, pull the foot and you'll see the cover for it. just don't lose the keyway like I did. Can be a little tricky getting the gears lined back up but its not that hard.
Old 06-09-2014
A perfect day!

chrissailorman is on a distinguished road

One thing many overlook is seal deterioration. Over that long a time, many seals can dry out, then fail when you least expect it... Particularly those in gearbox...I would look into that.
Chris Greco
RichH and christian.hess like this.
Old 06-10-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

yup! every day use is better than dried up in "storage" I bet the lower unit seals are dried up too...might change oil there and take it off for a looksie...

everything else mentioned is great advice...

be careful with the carb and its parts...make sure all jets are clean and that the float doesnt stick open or closed etc...

cheers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-13-2014

RichH will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef33 View Post

Bonus Question: I thought at one time you could get an electric starter for these motors, but I can't Google anything on the subject to save my butt. Anybody know if there is such a thing?
There's several internet sources for Evinrude parts; including 'ancient' Evinrude and Johnson OBs. Do webearch for "evinrude + parts".
Search the parts database via your engine model and year built for the starter and any needed 'housing/mounting' options. The database will indicate if such is available.

The water pump impeller on most of these old Evinrude were inferior. Bombardier (present owner of Evinrude Johnson) has 'insert' replacement pumps for many of these old engines .... even back to 1960s models. Will be listed on the parts database.

Last edited by RichH; 06-13-2014 at 12:46 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to RichH For This Useful Post:
Reef33 (06-17-2014)
Old 06-17-2014
Scurvy Dog

Rich, thanks. Found the parts manual online, but no indication of an electric starter. Oh well, guess I'll have to stock up on Aleve for my sore arm.
Old 07-01-2014
Scurvy Dog

Smile Re: Bringing Outboard Back To Life

It's Alive! I soaked the carb in parts cleaner overnight, put in new plugs, new fuel mix with "Star-Tron" additive and new fuel line with fuel filter from tank. A few pulls of the rope and brrrrrrrrring putt putt putt. Idles smooth and accelerates without hesitation.

The only thing is that she is putting out a lot of exhaust smoke, more than I remember. Water pump is working fine, but I'll upgrade it after the season. Just need to change the gearcase oil then I'll get her in the Bay.

Bonus Question Answer: the 8hp model did not offer an electric start, but the 9.9hp model did. (found my owners manual!)

Scourge of the Upper Chesapeake since 1993.

Tags
outboard , storage , winterize

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.