Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Outboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2014

bhcva is on a distinguished road
Honda 2.3 for 9"6" inflatable?

Will that motor be a satisfactory fit for a two person crew using it to access shore facilities in Ches Bay/ Maine anchorages? My only reference is our 6hp Evinrude which has more than enough power and has, strangely, become too heavy for us these days.

I have read that the .3 gallon fuel tank should be good for about an hour of cruising which should be fine.....is that what people are seeing?

Thanks for any comments.

Bruce
Old 06-26-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Honda 2.3 for 9"6" inflatable?

If there is any chop, current or headwind, I don't see that working. Sorry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcva View Post
Will that motor be a satisfactory fit for a two person crew using it to access shore facilities in Ches Bay/ Maine anchorages? My only reference is our 6hp Evinrude which has more than enough power and has, strangely, become too heavy for us these days.

I have read that the .3 gallon fuel tank should be good for about an hour of cruising which should be fine.....is that what people are seeing?

Thanks for any comments.

Bruce
Depends what you mean by "satisfactory", I suppose, but in my opinion is certainly is... :-)

Certainly, you're not going anywhere quickly, but you'll still move along pretty smartly... Only time I've ever felt limited by the speed has been in negotiating a couple of cuts in the Bahamas when the current was really ripping, and you might need to plan for that in certain locations in Maine, but I've never had a problem up there...

I've found my Honda to be pretty trusty, but most folks develop a bit of a love/hate relationship with theirs. Some have difficulty adapting to the centrifugal clutch, but I like it. Be prepared for it often engaging gear momentarily upon initial start-up, however...

Most everyone dislikes the noise of an air-cooled motor, it's not pleasant, for sure. But I always run mine at pretty low revs, it's not too annoying then. I've never really calculated fuel consumption, I always carry a 1 gallon gas can in the boat, but these things just sip gas, especially when run slowly... Over the course of a few winter trips to the Bahamas and back to NJ, I've had ones where I've used little more than 3 gallons of gas over the course of the entire trip... It helps that I often choose to row my tender, but the fuel economy of these things is pretty impressive...

They can be pretty finicky, like any small outboard these days with ethanol, etc... I'm pretty religious about taking all the usual cautions with gas, try to avoid E-10 at all costs, so I've been pretty lucky so far. Biggest disappointment with my Honda has been the minor rusting of a couple of bolts and components on the engine, though I've heard that issue has been remedied on models newer than mine... I simply swapped out a few bolts with stainless of a better quality, no big deal, but still annoying, and a bit of a surprise considering Honda's reputation for quality...

If I were buying again now, however, or when the time comes where I might consider replacing my Honda, I'd have a close look at the Suzuki 2 HP... Roughly same weight, but quieter with a water-cooled motor, a gear shift lever instead of the clutch. I've heard good things about those motors, most everyone seems pretty happy with theirs...

Old 06-26-2014
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

I have a 2 hp Nissan (Tohatsu) for my 8' Walker Bay. It does push it, but certainly not with any speed. I also carry gas with me

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

Old 06-26-2014

capecodda is on a distinguished road

I've got 3 dingy outboards.... don't ask. See the ethanol threads for commentary on carburetor rebuilds...I'm getting lots of "practice."

The one I'm cruising with now is the 2.5 Suzuki. Same reason, got sick of dealing with a heavy one even with a motor lift as we downsized the mother ship. It's a single handed operation to lift it....that's the good news.

2 complaints:

1. It was running poorly at low speeds.. If you dig around on the internet you can fix this by drilling out an adjustment which is blocked for the low speed jet and messing with the adjustment. After that, assuming you use it enough, don't get water in the ethanol, etc., it runs good.

2. I don't know why for sure, but it has kinda a kickback when you pull start that can be pretty significant. I suspect that to keep the weight down the fly wheel isn't weighty enough to build some angular momentum, so you feel the compression. If you pull with conviction, not too bad an issue, but it's very annoying. I'd tradeoff some carrying weight if that fixed it.

I was thinking when I bought it just like Jon that it was superior to Honda, quieter water cooled, no reverse but at least a neutral gear vs the honda "clutch", but there are tradeoffs.

I don't think it's a power issue for a reasonable sized inflatable if you don't need to get it up on a plane. It's worked for us, but we are typically anchored in a no wake area anyway.

I used to have an old suzuki 2 hp 2 stroke. You couldn't kill that thing until you drop it overboard, which I did. Wish I still had it.
Old 06-26-2014
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

Consider a 2 cycle motor too, they are just as light, and you can go all the way to 3.5hp at the same weight...

I run a 2000ish 3.5 hp on my Capri, as a primary kicker (flat water, no headwind brings me 6 knots of a 3500lb boat)... It also moves a rigid 12 foot bass boat (dolphin 120) at 7+ knots... Weight of the motor is 30lbs.

I'll second that getting decent fuel and keeping the carb clean is top priority for these tiny outboards.
Hull #68 S2 7.9 on our little landlocked puddle, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA, it's cheap, trailerable, and paid for.
Old 06-26-2014

dabnis is on a distinguished road

I had a 2 HP Honda, without a clutch, on an 8 foot inflatable, & a 10 foot aluminum jon boat. Neither would plane but the jon boat would make 5.5 MPH with two of us & all of our gear. Heavy chop slowed it down a bit but it would push the waves over the bow.

It weighed 27 lbs. I ran it hard for 25 years and it ran perfectly when I sold it, totally bullet proof. Yes, I did have to clean the carb after forgetting to drain the carb for the winter, my fault.

Paul T
Old 06-27-2014

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

I have a 2hp Yamaha 2-stroke on my 7'6" Achilles. Works fine with me and my wife onboard (no planning of course) and love the 22 lb weight. I suspect the Honda would push your larger inflatable OK, but only in calm conditions at moderate speeds.
Old 06-27-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

I use a 2.5 Mercury on my 11 foot Boston Whaler and it moves it along smartly. But, it's not going to ever get it up on plane like the 25HP used to do.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 06-27-2014

hangupndrive is on a distinguished road

I'd go with 4 minimum. If you go with 8hp you should be able to get it up on a plane with two people. I have a3.5 tohatsu on my 8ft. I could really use a little more.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.