Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Outboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2014
Been there, done that...

ericb760 is on a distinguished road
Mercury 4hp four stroke first use report oil overheat.

My slip lies about 3 miles from open water. This weekend I had a chance to use my brand new outboard for the first time. Checked the oil, good to go. I was using the internal tank, and I had three gallons on board to refresh as we went along. No problems going out. I kept the throttle at less than 3/4 WOT.

On the way back in, running at 3/4 for about 30 minutes, the engine quit and the high oil temperature light came on. Trying to re-start had the high temp oil light continue to come on as I pulled the cord. Raised the jib for some forward motion, and to let the engine cool for a bit. After about ten minutes, the engine started. I kept it at about 50% all the way back to the slip with no further problems.

Considering the this is a brand new engine, and that I babied it for the most part, what would cause it to stall like this? Oil level was WNL, I saw no evidence of seaweed tangling, and the prop was clean in the end. Water circulation through the engine was constant as well.
Old 07-28-2014

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Re: Mercury 4hp four stroke first use report oil overheat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericb760 View Post
My slip lies about 3 miles from open water. This weekend I had a chance to use my brand new outboard for the first time. Checked the oil, good to go. I was using the internal tank, and I had three gallons on board to refresh as we went along. No problems going out. I kept the throttle at less than 3/4 WOT.

On the way back in, running at 3/4 for about 30 minutes, the engine quit and the high oil temperature light came on. Trying to re-start had the high temp oil light continue to come on as I pulled the cord. Raised the jib for some forward motion, and to let the engine cool for a bit. After about ten minutes, the engine started. I kept it at about 50% all the way back to the slip with no further problems.

Considering the this is a brand new engine, and that I babied it for the most part, what would cause it to stall like this? Oil level was WNL, I saw no evidence of seaweed tangling, and the prop was clean in the end. Water circulation through the engine was constant as well.
I think the little red light indicates low oil pressure? I will look at the manual later. Tank vent? crimp in fuel lines? Filter? Have to go now, later.

Paul T
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-28-2014

Just leaving to go fishing. Here is the manual, I will read it later. An infra red heat gun should give you engine temps. My guess is that nothing should by more than 150 degrees? Later.

http://www.tohatsu.com/tech_info/own...03-11059-6.pdf

Paul T
Old 07-28-2014

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

I had same issue with my Mercury 4, got stranded in my RIB a mile out and had to row the barge.
It's 6 years old, but first time I used it.

When I got back to the boat I laid it down tiller side down (as indicated). The next day the majority of the oil came running out when I lifted it vertically to mount on rail.

I've not looked at it yet, I think my next move is to put a for sale sign on it.
Old 07-28-2014
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Your brand new motor failed the first time you used it? It's a little 4 hp thing that can be lifted and moved? Simple - take it back to the dealer and make them replace it.

First, be sure it wasn't operator error. Some 4 strokes ship with little or no oil present to avoid leakage. Check the level to be sure that it's correct. Also, as someone else mentioned, if you lay the motor on its wrong side, oil can leak out into the carburetor, air filter (if it has one), or inside the cowling. Make sure that didn't happen, because that could cause your oil level to be low.

Second piece of advice: Don't buy chuckles motor. lol
ericb760 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 07-28-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-28-2014

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post

Second piece of advice: Don't buy chuckles motor. lol
Yeah. He screws them up.
My oil leak was / is the gear oil by the way.
Old 07-28-2014
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
My oil leak was / is the gear oil by the way.
Lower unit gear oil? How does lying the motor down on its side cause that to leak? You have unique talents!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 07-28-2014

dunno, but that's where it came from.
Old 07-28-2014

Read thru the manual. The light is for low oil pressure. The manual calls for less than half throttle for the first two hours. Having it quit could have been fuel starvation? There is a rubber cap that goes over the external tank connection on the motor. Not sure, but if it becomes loose the motor may suck air at that point?

The other possibility, hopefully not, could be that a plastic bag got sucked up over the one & only , unlike my older Evinrudes, water intake, causing it to heat up enough to thin the oil, setting off the light, & maybe temporarily seize the engine?

If the "pee stream" is solid, it is probably pumping adequate water. With the cowl off you should be able to touch much of the motor without burning your hand. Or, as mentioned, an infra red heat gun should give you temps on the various engine surfaces.

What is "WNL"? You should come back to PRWG, been very quiet without you.

Paul T
Old 07-28-2014
Been there, done that...

ericb760 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabnis View Post
Read thru the manual. The light is for low oil pressure. The manual calls for less than half throttle for the first two hours. Having it quit could have been fuel starvation? There is a rubber cap that goes over the external tank connection on the motor. Not sure, but if it becomes loose the motor may suck air at that point?

The other possibility, hopefully not, could be that a plastic bag got sucked up over the one & only , unlike my older Evinrudes, water intake, causing it to heat up enough to thin the oil, setting off the light, & maybe temporarily seize the engine?

If the "pee stream" is solid, it is probably pumping adequate water. With the cowl off you should be able to touch much of the motor without burning your hand. Or, as mentioned, an infra red heat gun should give you temps on the various engine surfaces.

What is "WNL"? You should come back to PRWG, been very quiet without you.

Paul T
In hindsight I'd say I was closer to 50% WOT than I was to 75%. WNL = Within Normal Limits. That said, when I checked the oil today, it was just below the midpoint on the dipstick, well WNL.

One thing that I can't figure out is how to flush the engine after use. My other Evinrude had the water intake on the side of the shaft. This Mercury has it on the bottom, and the earmuffs I used on the Evinrude won't work on this one...

PRWG is a lot less interesting than it once was.

Last edited by ericb760; 07-28-2014 at 10:35 PM.