Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Outboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2014

bblument is on a distinguished road
Single Lever Engine Control

Any recommendations for a single-lever, dual-action, side-mounted, flush-mounted (cables attach behind the lever on the opposite side of the surface to which the controls are mounted) control for a 1987 Johnson 8HP Sailmaster on a 26' Pearson? My old one seized. I removed it, and it was mounted on/through a 2" diameter circular hole. I've found a couple that LOOK like they'd work, but can't find enough information about the mountings.

Uflex B85
Vetus SISCO or SICO
Teleflex CH2100P

The Teleflex is described as a "Surface Mount" which makes it sound as if the cables would be exposed in the cockpit, and I don't want to do that. Is that the case? I can't find any mounting info on the other ones. It'd be GREAT to find one that mounts in the same 2" hole, but that may be a pipe dream...

Anyone have any experience with any of these, or able to make other recommendations?

Thanks..

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." - Dave Barry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-01-2014
Hinterhoeller HR28

pvanv1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Single Lever Engine Control

Can you repair the old one? Spinlock does make a "hidden" unit. Requires a separate starter switch if electric start. I believe it uses standard Morse cables, so you might need adapters at the OB end.
Buffalo, NY USA
Old 09-01-2014

bblument is on a distinguished road
Re: Single Lever Engine Control

Thank you for the reply. I did pull the old one and completely disassembled it. The jam was caused by one of the spring-loaded balls that create the "detent" locations in the travel of the shifter arm becoming dislodged and wedged in between part of the internal mechanism. I could have repaired it, but it had never fit properly anyway; it couldn't be tightened down enough to fit firmly to the mounting surface, so it always rattled and felt lousy. Rather than screw around adding a thickening/backing plate and rebuilding what was already a pretty lousy unit, I went ahead and bought the Uflex B85. It required a 3" mounting hole, but there was plenty of room to do that. It works WONDERFULLY, and the situation is solved.

Thanks again,

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." - Dave Barry

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.