Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Outboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By newhaul
  • 1 Post By newhaul
  • 1 Post By newhaul
  • 1 Post By dabnis

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2014
Been there, done that...

ericb760 is on a distinguished road
Impeller Replacement 1976 Evinrude 6hp

I've decided I'm going to keep the old Evinrude that came with my boat. Since it isn't my primary engine, I can work on it when I have the time to do so. The last time I started it I did not see any water flowing from the exhaust (this model does not have a dedicated pee hole). So, I bought a new impeller, but looking on line suggest replacing the water pump housing as well.

Once I pull it apart, will I be able to tell if I need to replace the housing as well as the impeller?
Old 08-25-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Impeller Replacement 1976 Evinrude 6hp

You will be able to tell yes however in all my years of working on outboards I have not felt it necessary to replace the housing
ericb760 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2014
islander bahama 24

If you have any questions on your old evinrude just ask I have experience and manuals all the way back to the models in the early 60's
ericb760 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-25-2014
Been there, done that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
If you have any questions on your old evinrude just ask I have experience and manuals all the way back to the models in the early 60's
Thanks! As I pull the lower unit off, I'm bound to have questions...
Old 08-25-2014

dabnis is on a distinguished road

IIRC, the last impeller replacement I did was on my Johnson 1970 6HP. I think the parts came as a kit, housing & impeller. Actually, what I found was that it wasn't the impeller. We used to tip the motor up when not in use. Apparently, this caused the power head not to thoroughly drain. Salt deposits gradually accumulated right at the power head/lower unit joint, slowly cutting off the water flow.

This I discovered after replacing the thermostat & impeller. Cleaned the joint all out, put it together and the motor still lives happily today on my daughter's fishing boat as a trolling motor. If I was going to do the impeller again I would turn the motor upside down while guiding the water tube back into the power head. Much easier to see what you are doing & the O ring seal wouldn't fall out of the recess in the power head.

Looking back on it, we should probably have left the motor down for a few minutes to let the power head thoroughly drain.

Paul T
Old 08-25-2014
Been there, done that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabnis View Post
IIRC, the last impeller replacement I did was on my Johnson 1970 6HP. I think the parts came as a kit, housing & impeller. Actually, what I found was that it wasn't the impeller. We used to tip the motor up when not in use. Apparently, this caused the power head not to thoroughly drain. Salt deposits gradually accumulated right at the power head/lower unit joint, slowly cutting off the water flow.

This I discovered after replacing the thermostat & impeller. Cleaned the joint all out, put it together and the motor still lives happily today on my daughter's fishing boat as a trolling motor. If I was going to do the impeller again I would turn the motor upside down while guiding the water tube back into the power head. Much easier to see what you are doing & the O ring seal wouldn't fall out of the recess in the power head.

Looking back on it, we should probably have left the motor down for a few minutes to let the power head thoroughly drain.

Paul T
Am I right in assuming that I will first drain the oil using the plug in the lower unit. Then I'll tip the motor upside down to remove the bolts holding it on? I've never done this type of maintenance on an outboard before. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 08-25-2014
islander bahama 24

No need to drain the lower oil unless you are going to replace the oil or seals just place motor on a stand and pull the lower unit off no need to invert engine actually I find it easier not to invert especially when disconecting/ reconnecting the shift linkage. Just tilt it up like on the boat to do the work
ericb760 likes this.

Old 08-25-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
No need to drain the lower oil unless you are going to replace the oil or seals just place motor on a stand and pull the lower unit off no need to invert engine actually I find it easier not to invert especially when disconecting/ reconnecting the shift linkage. Just tilt it up like on the boat to do the work
I have done it this way on larger motors & it works fine. Depends on how much light you have, You can always get someone to hold a drop light. If the O ring at the power head keeps falling out, just put a dab of grease on it

Suggest you do not remove the driveshaft from the gear case grease. If, when you go to re-install the drive shaft into the power head, & it doesn't want to go in, rotate the lower unit right to left a bit. If that doesn't work turn the motor over SLOWLY with the starter cord, Carful!! The splines on the shaft have to line up with the splines in the power head.

If the new housing doesn't want to slip over the shaft, dress the spot down with some fine sandpaper or steel wool, just enough for the housing to slide down. You may have to do this to get the old housing off. There may be a bit of rust or corrosion on the shaft, making the housing bind a bit. Don't force it.

The most difficult part I encountered was getting the water tube lined up & slid into the O ring in the power head. An extra set of hands & eyes may be helpful. Suggest you get an extra couple of new O rings. If the water tube doesn't want to go in, don't force it, you may damage the O ring & not know it

It wouldn't hurt to put a bit of silicone grease (Plumbers grease), on the impeller vanes before re-installing. Remember (picture) which way the vanes on the old one are facing.

Paul T
ericb760 likes this.
Old 08-25-2014

Forgot this, Suggest you download or buy a good shop manual, or at least a parts diagram. Lots of sites related to OMC motors.

Paul T