Adding Remote Control to Tohatsu 6hp - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 10-18-2014 Thread Starter

Adding Remote Control to Tohatsu 6hp

I recently added remote control to tiller handled Tohatsu 6hp Sail Pro (MFS6CSPROUL). Proceed at your own risk, requires skills equal to changing out bicycle cables.

Parts:
1 - 3GR838800M SRC PARTS KIT-FS4/5/6C
1 - 3B7Q843601 RC BOX, RC5D (MFS4B~30B), AMB-W/O ELECT START

Tools:

1. Print out parts diagram and parts list from the Tohatsu parts book (Tohatsu Outboard Parts - Parts Books)
2. Needle nose pliers
3. 10mm socket and socket wrench
4. 10 mm small open end wrench
5. Threadlock sealant, eg. Locktite blue
6. Waterproof grease

Steps.

1. Remove tiller handle:
a. Disconnect fuel intake hose so you can access and unbolt two 10mm bolts on the inside of tiller connection.
b. Disconnect throttle cables on top of carboretuer.
c. Use slack in cables to slip opposite ends off of grooved control wheel inside tiller handle.
d. Pull cable out of tiller handle, ensuring cable ends are aligned with center slot to exit.
e. Put aside for storage the tiller handle and cable, the parts will no longer be needed.
f. Push grommet out of frame member protruding in front of tiller hole. Cover with rubber trapezoidal covering provided in new kit. Plug tiller hole with large circular plug provided in the new kit.

2. Attach steering plate to the front 2 holes on the frame sticking out below the front of the motor (the steering control bar does not come in the two parts kits I have, but the plate can be used to fix the motor in a forward direction, very useful for a sailboat).

3. Attach the largest stainless steel fabricated piece to the starboard very front of the motor (this is where pictures help). This is for the motor end of your control cables. 2 10mm bolts of differing length from the kit are required, I added 2 additional M6 stainless lock washers, not included in kit. Note: the kits above do not include the type 3300 control cables as each installation requires measuring for the particular length between control box and motor.

4. Attach the stainless welded lever (for forward-neutral-reverse) to a location directly under shift linkage, starboard middle, of motor. The lever has a metal dowel that goes into a hole that is alongside the threaded hole that will take a 10mm treadlocked bolt to attach the lever to the motor.

5. Assemble the throttle lever and cable wheel as shown on parts diagram. You first have to push out a grommet from the inside at the starboard, rear, of the motor to expose the hole that this assembly goes through. The entire assembly is held in place and rotates around the longest 10mm bolt with a matching nylon lock nut on the inside.

6. Just ahead of the cable wheel installed in step 5, you will now mount the inside stainless cable guide, using a short 10mm threadlock coated bolt. With the cable guide installed, you will see what angle the new inside throttle cables (provide new in the kit) will approach the new cable wheel. Thread the ends of the new inside cables onto the new cable wheel installed in step 5. Now run the inside cables around the front of the motor, below the pull rope, back through the cable guide on the other side and up to the throttle wheel on top of the carboretuer. Thread the ends onto the throttle cable wheel and adjust both ends to lightly tension the cables.

Your installation should now look like mine in the pictures. Note: before beginning this journey, I matched all parts in the kits to the pictures shown in the parts book. I found that I did not have to replace the existing fuel filter with the remote fuel filter provided in the kit (the remote filter mounts to the starboard forward corner of the engine and runs two new fuel lines from filter to fuel pump block and filter to carboretuer). This may be needed with the electric start model, I don't know.
Attached Thumbnails
WP_20141018_15_21_42_Pro.jpg   WP_20141018_15_20_15_Pro.jpg   WP_20141018_15_20_34_Pro.jpg   WP_20141018_15_20_44_Pro.jpg   WP_20141018_15_20_21_Pro.jpg  

Last edited by redstickbajaj; 10-19-2014 at 12:35 AM. Reason: add picture
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to redstickbajaj For This Useful Post:
Jreinhard (08-09-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-18-2014 Thread Starter

Re: Adding Remote Control to Tohatsu 6hp

More pictures
Attached Thumbnails
WP_20141018_15_22_09_Pro.jpg   WP_20141018_15_21_10_Pro.jpg   WP_20141018_15_20_08_Pro.jpg   WP_20141018_15_20_28_Pro.jpg   WP_20141018_15_20_50_Pro.jpg  

post #3 of 9 Old 10-19-2014

Sounds like quite a project, nothing is easy. I have the same motor, how did it work?

Paul T
post #4 of 9 Old 10-20-2014 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabnis View Post
Sounds like quite a project, nothing is easy. I have the same motor, how did it work?

Paul T
Actually, matching all the parts to the parts diagram was the most time consuming, the rest was "plug-and-play". Works like a charm. This I the second time I have repowered a sailboat with the Sailpro.Great engine.

There is absolutely nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.

Last edited by redstickbajaj; 10-20-2014 at 12:50 AM. Reason: spellung
post #5 of 9 Old 10-20-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstickbajaj View Post
Actually, matching all the parts to the parts diagram was the most time consuming, the rest was "plug-and-play". Works like a charm. This I the second time I have repowered a sailboat with the Sailpro.Great engine.
Ah, then life is good. We had a Coronado 25 that had a well which worked fine. However, the motor was buried down there making access to the controls difficult. If I was to do it over, I would have electric start & remote controls.

Paul T
post #6 of 9 Old 06-17-2015

do you have pics of the mounted control box? Did this project work out for you?
post #7 of 9 Old 06-25-2015

Do you recall the price of the conversion kit?
Thanks
post #8 of 9 Old 08-27-2015

I just bought a new 6hp SailPro, and the remote conversion kit was $235. Comes in a bag, with no instructions. Looks like no more than $100 worth of stuff, but what ya gonna do... gotta have it. Thank goodness for this thread, and the great instructions by the OP.
-Jim
post #9 of 9 Old 08-28-2015

And I just found this:

https://www.tohatsu.us/index.php?mai...ch24g5r497s1n2

Looks like the RC kit can be purchased here for $211.50. A bit better. Good diagram, as well.
-Jim

Tags
6 hp , remote control , sail pro , sailpro , tohatsu

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.