SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

smallest electric start?

22K views 35 replies 20 participants last post by  Grith 
#1 ·
#27 ·
Really, you can pull a well tuned 4hp with three fingers. I have one. At about 9 it starts getting more difficult, and 15 hp deserves electric start.

If the motor does not start in 1-3 pulls, if probably needs a good carb cleaning. This is really quite easy on a small carb. Not just a quick spray--you need to take out the jets, which is easy. And not a shop job--that is often just a quick spray. A good anti-corrosion fuel additive will help, since most clogging is due to corrosion in the carb bowl. Stabil 360, Biobor EB, and Merc Store-N-Start are all very good, based on testing. Many of the others are snake oil.

#8 ·
SWMBO hated our old yamaha no- recoil- point-and-shoot 2 stroke. She hated the process of choke, throttle speed, wrap-and-rip, try again, try again, try again... so, it had to go. Last season we got a great deal on a 2006 suzuki 4 stroke 2.5 hp. Small, quiet, fuel efficient, most importantly, light- less than 30 lbs (their 4 is essentially the same size,and only about 4-5 lbs heavier.) It starts first pull, runs for an hour on the built-in- tank, and twist grip throttle rather than the "dimmer switch" throttle on the motor housing, and most importantly, has neutral- no more point and shoot.

#9 ·
yeah we has an old 3.5 nissan. Hated mixing fuel, and one day it just stopped working. It was 35 years old, but whatever. Had the dimmer switch too.
Will like neutral, and in the interm we will drop the 9.9 on there if we need it.
Hopefully I can buy the boat today.

#10 ·
I don't think I have seen anyone here use an electric start on anything smaller than 15 hp. If the engine is properly tuned and the choke used judiciously starting should not be a huge problem.

#26 ·
You mentioned looking for a smaller sailboat ... I am providing a link to one that may be for sale. I have one on Lake Ontario and others have sailed these on Caribbean waters and also across the Pacific. 20 ft. Wait ... here is a link to the class website where you'll find details. Heritage One may be for sale. On trailer. In Honeoye Falls, NY. My Adria is in Honeoye Falls, NY (I am storing the other one for the time being - it is my son's)

#14 ·
I'm behind the times. I just picked up a 3 hp 2 stroke off e-bay....

24 lbs auto clutch twist throttle...after a thorough clean up of tank, lines, filter and carb starts on one pull, and half a pull when warm....

smooth recoil, minimal feel of compression, I think the wife willl be able to start this one...she cannot start the 15 hp 4 stroke main OB....

Reactions: christian.hess
#15 ·
We've got a two stroke eight hp. The Wombet is not a big woman but she has no trouble starting the thing. As Killarney notes, keeping it in tune is the key.

(Nonethless I'd swap it for a four hp four stroke in a flash. The thing simply weighs too much for ease of handling.)

#16 ·
I think the Torqeedo is really worth a look, I believe you have a generator so charging it should be trivial. They are a bit more than a gas motor, but if you can get away without having to have gasoline, all the better. Many people under estimate the dangers of gasoline, especially when it is just for an outboard. You likely have no properly vented compartments to store it in, and the fumes are both explosive and poisonous. It has such a short shelf life as well. Seems if you are looking for a small outboard the electric ones will be sufficient in power and there is no starting required. I am also curious about the Lehr propane powered outboards, as you likely will have a vented locker for that, or it is easy enough to install a PVC tube with a drain out the bottom to let any gas escape overboard.

#20 ·
Yeah, I was thinking used. Have seen 50# units for about $50. For batteries I think I would grab two group 27's, and leave them in, secured in boxes, charged by a cable, with a selector switch.
Going to keep my eyes open for a 4hp 4 stroke thou, I think that would be ideal.

There is an odd Chinese one on ebay for $400 brand new. Will research that one more.

#21 ·
What is the relative thrust ratio per horse power...?

We started talking 3-4 hp motors and then started comparing electric 50# 65# 68# thrust

Are they comparable, thrust to hp ratings...?

#23 ·
Interesting comparison..torque to HP wise..

I see 25# thrust as slightly slower and less powerful than 2hp gas...

Would it be fair to extrapolate 50# thrust would be very close to 3hp in terms of speed and power??

I ask because my dinghy has a 50# electric rating, and I just built a mount for a 3 HP gas motor...and dont want to rip the dinghy in half trying it out..

#24 ·
my understanding, Squidd, is that your thinking is spot on. From what research I have done and my own experience, a 50-55 lb thrust trolling motor produces about the same push as a 3 hp O/B...mostly. As is almost always the case in every boat related question, the answer is "it depends"- prop pitch, prop diameter, boat size, trim all play a role. But i think you are probably safe.

#31 ·
I bought a Torqeedo 1103 because I was tired of the blisters from pull starting an 15 Yamaha.it’s a wonderful thing mostly.it pushes my 14’ hard dinghy at 5-6 knots at about 2/3 power giving a range of about 8 miles.I can charge it free from my solar panels,and it’s so quiet it’s like sailing.However it seems to be susceptible to fishing line damaging it’s seals leading to very expensive repairs,and you can’t just go buy parts,like anywhere.I’m fortunate enough to be close to a national dealer,but good luck if you’re down island.The prop is plastic yet still manages to cost over a hundred bucks.So I was wondering the same thing….. what’s the smallest outboard with electric start….

#35 ·
So, it seems that the force required to pull start outboards varies widely from one manufacturer to another.
Yes, many of the newer 4-strokes incorporate a compression release with their pull starts. You will rip your arm off if you try to just yank on them, but if you pull the cord out an inch or two until you feel resistance, then pull, the decompression activates and the pull is easy.

Mark

#36 ·
I use a Torqeedo 1003 as an auxiliary to my main engine on a 28 foot trailer sailer. I have both 600w of solar panels and a Honda eu2.2 generator onboard so charging whilst extended cruising isn’t an issue. It manages to push my around 2.5 ton yacht at 2/3 knots economically and over 4 knots flat out in clam conditions.
It makes a great addition especially river sailing as the river bends bring the wind on the nose as it gets me quietly to the next bend to continue sailing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.