Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Outboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2007
1997 Dehler 33

max-on will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TohatsuGuru View Post
Of the four dealers that are within ten miles of you a company called Steve's Marine would be the best choice. Their telephone number is 401-245-7673. The other three are closer, but........Say no evil
Thanks for the info!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2007

Catalina274me is on a distinguished road
6-9.5 horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by TohatsuGuru View Post
The Catalina 27 is the perfect example of whence I speak. The boat calls for a minimum of 15hp. But, using the Yamster HT9.9 you can make up for being grossly underpowered. It's a good solution. This is probably a good time to add that I know of no outboard that was designed from the bottom up as an auxilary. All brands that offer a gear reduction model took a standard model outboard and then altered it in some way. The HT 9.9 is a good example of a highly modified model that provides a single purpose use. For anything other than pushing a heavy load it is useless. But if that's all its going to be used for it is a solid performer. The Tohatsu 6UL is at the other end of the spectrum offering a minimum alteration of a standard 6 hp with only two modifications: An extra long shaft and a battery charging system.

The "Pig Prop" was in stock this morning with3 being available. We are in Tampa so delivery is next business day. I've never had anyone ask what the pressure was at any RPM before I'll check and see what specs they have available or you could call Tohatsu direct at 972-323-6003 and have one of their tech support guys tell you anything you want to know.

That 6 sounds like a fuel or ignition issue. More likely a fuel issue. Could be as simple as a piece of trash floating around in the carb that sometimes blocks a jet. Fuel related problems are about 90% of all service failures on engines in the marine world. Regardless, the engine has a real problem and you should run it by a service center. Let me know where you are and I will direct you to the best of the dealers in your area.
Actually the original owners manual for the Catalina 27 1974 model calls for a 6-9.5 horsepower outboard. Anything more says gasoline economy will be poor due to the critical hull speed
Just to clarify
Old 10-05-2007
Misanthrope

TohatsuGuru is on a distinguished road
That manual was written at the height of the oil embargo and the thought was clearly referring to fuel usage and the point of diminishing return on hp versus fuel usage. It was also written by a sailor who had low expectations compared to today The world was different then, no four-strokes, three brands of engines and I think Chrysler was the only manufacturer of an HT model. Scary thought....Chrysler on the cutting edge of technology. Anyway, the general rule still applies, 1 hp per 500 lbs. The exception being the use of an HT model.
Old 10-07-2007

enwinn is on a distinguished road
I have a Pacific Seacraft Flicka 20 weighing around 5500-6000 pounds that I've repowered with a Nissan NSF6B4 - and yes I know it is a compromise but even with the standard prop, I'm pretty pleased with the performance I've seen so far. I recognized prior to purchasing that I needed a high thrust prop but have been looking for info on the best prop to get.

TohatsuGuru, do you have any comment as to how the Tohatsu 399B645121M compares with the Mercury 48-812951A1? The Merc part looks like it runs about $70-$80, a significant savings over the Tohatsu price. Is there a significant fit or performance difference to warrant choosing the Tohatsu over the Merc part? Apparently the Merc part fits. There is another Flicka sailor on the Flicka list who has installed it but I haven't heard back from him as to what difference it made in performance.

My Flicka gets to about 4.4 knots at about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle with the 6HP using the standard prop. Past that it doesn't go any faster.

My old motor is the Yamaha 9.9 HT. It pushed the boat at about 5 knots around 3/4 throttle and around 5.2 to 5.6 wide open. Hull speed for my Flicka is also around 5.2-5.6 or so. I'm keeping it and plan to rebuild it as it was getting unreliable but it was also considerably heavier than I liked, canting my boat towards the left side (left stern mount) because of the weight. The tiller is external and center on the transom so the outboard has to go either left or right. As mentioned in other posts, the Yamaha 9.9 is incredibly quiet when it is running but it is a heavy beast to be hanging off the back of a sailboat...
Old 10-08-2007
Misanthrope

TohatsuGuru is on a distinguished road
The Tohatsu prop is direct from Tohatsu Japan with a Tohatsu part number. I don't have a Merc prop to compare it to so I can't say if it's the same or what the difference might be, if any.
Old 10-08-2007
F235 Sailing

audeojude is on a distinguished road
If you get the performance data from the other flicka owner please come back and let us know how he is doing with it. Also if you get one of these post your results and contrast with you current prop.
Old 10-15-2007

x5920014 is on a distinguished road
Audeojude,

Were you able to test the new prop ?
Old 10-16-2007
F235 Sailing

audeojude is on a distinguished road
I have not arranged to get the prop from tohatsuguru yet. He was willing to ship it right out but I asked him to hold off for a bit.... I am waiting to see what transpires with my trying to return the engine before doing this. I have the engine off my boat and am not using it while I am trying to return it.. So for those waiting on test results for it I would estimate that I probably won't have them any sooner than 6 to 10 weeks from now. one way or another.
Old 10-16-2007

enwinn is on a distinguished road
Black Max prop performance on a 5500-6000 lb Flicka 20

This is from Pete, a 1979 Flicka 20 owner, about using the Mercury Black Max aka Elephant Ears prop on his 6HP Tohatsu 25" shaft outboard.

I have a 1986 Flicka with the Nissan 25" 6HP and will be getting either this prop or the one discussed by TohatsuGuru.

-Eric

I have been using the prop on my Tohatsu 6hp 25in shaft motor for the
past two months and am very impressed with its performance. For the
sake of comparison, I used the stock prop a couple of times , then
sacked it in favor of the black max. The motor is new so I followed
the break in recommendation not to operate at more than 3/4 throttle
for the first ten hours. At just under 3/4 throttle, at slack tide
against a light head wind, the prop pushed my Flicka out of the
harbor at 4.8 knots over the ground, or so said my GPS. The break-in
allows a couple of short full throttle bursts, and during these I hit
5.4 and 5.3 knots, which I believe is pretty close to hull speed on a
Flicka. I don't have a tach so I can't report on the rpm, but based
on these results I think it safe to say that the prop should push the
boat at about 5 knots at 3/4 throttle in calm water. As might be
expected, there is slightly more vibration with the black max than
with the stock prop, but I didn't find it excessive. I find the 6 to
be pretty noisy at full throttle, but I don't think that is a
function of the prop. The biggest difference is in backing. Throw the
standard prop into reverse and not much happens. The boat just keeps
on going forward, slowing down very gradually. The Black Max however
really functions as a brake when I approach my mooring, and seems
almost as effective as reverse on my previous boat, which had a 30hp
Yanmar. When I threw the Yanmar with its 3-blade into reverse you
could hear and feel it "bite" into the water. You get a similar
sensation with the black max, but nothing even close with the
standard prop.
Old 11-05-2007

canoemancdp is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down My 6hp Nissan 4 stroke

I have a Nissan 6hp 4 stroke. It has been dissappointing as well. I've also had it back to the dealer several times and have talked to a factory rep a bunch too. Mine doesnt idle well. Idle stop is set and either it runs too fast or dies, pick one. I dont even know if you can adjust the low speed jet? It also hesitates greatly when you hit the gas? Anyone else? I have it on a grumman sport boat and I get "slipping" at high speed, played around with all different pitch props Nissan supplies, to no avail. Really scratching my head over this one. Might have to do with the boat but the hesitation still sucks.