Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Outboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2012

Gundie is on a distinguished road
Re: Nissan / Tohatsu 6h 4 stroke

Hi audeojude, thanks for the fast reply. Looks like I have the elephant ear prop. Will physically measure the diameter & take a photo & post it to get confirmation.

The motor is a 2010 purchase. I will let you know the results of the WOT test when I purchase a digital tacho & fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-24-2012
F235 Sailing

audeojude is on a distinguished road

I would be interested in what you get. Lot of people on this thread have argued about my results but none of them that I'm aware of actually put a tach on the motor like I did to check my findings.

I tested the rpm's in bollard tests. Boat tied to dock from an idle upto WOT. Then on the water on my boat, beneteau F235. 23.5 ft long and about 3000 lbs. Then I tested on a 8ft rib dingy.
Old 05-24-2012

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by audeojude View Post
I have to say that I am unaware of a 4 blade prop for this motor. To my knowledge there is a 6,7,8, and 9 pitch props and then a special high thrust prop that is sold as 5.99 pitch. As to which one is stock on the super longshaft version of the motor for sailboats, when mine was shipped it came with the stock 8 pitch prop. I have tried the 6 pitch and the 5.99 high thrust elephant ear prop on it also. If your going to use this with a sailboat I would get the 5.99 pitch high thrust prop. It is a 3 bladed prop. It has massive thrust from a stop and allows the motor to turn the most rpm's of any of the props I tested. It still wont meet factory spec rpms but it is better than any of the other props I tested.

As to over reving this engine. It as mentioned by someone else has a rev limiter in it, if you rev it up in neutral you should hear it kick in. however it would suck if it didn't work. However even if it didn't I wouldn't worry about it. There is not a prop sold by tohatsu that will at wide open throttle even get past 5000 rpm. Tohatsu gives a 6000 rpm top end in the specs but the only way one of these engines coudl turn that fast is in neutral. With a 6 pitch prop and the 5.99 high thrust prop this thing will at most turn between 4800 and 5100 rpm even on a dingy.

If you have a newer engine and it's gettign better than this then tohatsu has changed something on it. I have physically tested a couple of them and they gave identical performance results.
Don't have a tach but it sounds like it is turning up pretty well with the 8" pitch prop. Going down 2"of pitch to the 6"Pitch for lower trolling speeds, seems like a big change. Will let you know if it hits the rev limiter.

Other posts mention fuel consumption. Trolling out for about 3 hours and a full throttle 3 mile run back uses just a little over one pint of fuel, just a little more than our 2HP Honda did.

Paul T

Paul T
Old 05-24-2012
F235 Sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabnis View Post
Don't have a tach but it sounds like it is turning up pretty well with the 8" pitch prop. Going down 2"of pitch to the 6"Pitch for lower trolling speeds, seems like a big change. Will let you know if it hits the rev limiter.

Other posts mention fuel consumption. Trolling out for about 3 hours and a full throttle 3 mile run back uses just a little over one pint of fuel, just a little more than our 2HP Honda did.

Paul T

Paul T
These things just sip fuel. We did our honeymoon on our boat and sadly ended up motoring there and back on the ICW.. about 100 miles each way by road. A little more on the water. I used about 11 gallons each way at close to or at WOT. I would estimate about .5 gallons per hour at WOT. We probably averaged close to 6 knots. The noise at anything over 1/2 throttle and the vibration are very annoying over time. If you can afford the weight penelty I would go up to a 2 cylinder engine if your going to use the engine much.
Old 05-24-2012
F235 Sailing

forgot to mention that we now have a 20,000 lb 38 ft sailboat with a 32 hp diesel inboard and get close to the same fuel econnomy and just a bit better speed. Just kills me the difference. Would love to see what a 10 hp diesel would do on a little boat like that. to bad you couldn't afford the weight.
Old 05-24-2012

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by audeojude View Post
These things just sip fuel. We did our honeymoon on our boat and sadly ended up motoring there and back on the ICW.. about 100 miles each way by road. A little more on the water. I used about 11 gallons each way at close to or at WOT. I would estimate about .5 gallons per hour at WOT. We probably averaged close to 6 knots. The noise at anything over 1/2 throttle and the vibration are very annoying over time. If you can afford the weight penelty I would go up to a 2 cylinder engine if your going to use the engine much.
We had a Coronado 25 with 6&15 Hp 2 stroke twins. The Tohatsu 4 stroke is actually quieter with very little more vibration. 6HP is enough for our wide 12' fairly heavy Jon boat, gets it up on a plane, no problem. Big jump in weight to a 2 cyl 4 stroke.

Paul T
Old 08-16-2012

cstpt is on a distinguished road

Adding to the thread that will never end: for those who complained that the motor vibrates itself out of alignment, Tohatsu makes a bracket to lock the motor straight on.

Vibration and noise aside, the Sail Pro pushes my 2500 lb Nordica 20 handily.
Old 08-16-2012

Hi audeojude,
completed my tests with the tacko fitted. At WOT I got 5600rpm & 7.1Knots. So all seems to be within specification & expectations. My boat is quite light though & I estimate about 800kg.

Also connected the 12V charge lead and instead of getting the quoted 5A only got 2.5A at WOT. It didn't even start charging until about 2500rpm, so quite disappointing there. I have fitted a larger solar panel.

Local tohatsu agent was not very helpfull. Has anyone else checked their REAL rate of charge??
Old 08-16-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

"Also connected the 12V charge lead and instead of getting the quoted 5A only got 2.5A at WOT. It didn't even start charging until about 2500rpm, so quite disappointing there. I have fitted a larger solar panel."

Won't the charge rate depend on the state of the battery? Unless the battery is totally flat, you are going to get something less than the max. output.
Old 08-16-2012

yes thats true, but I didn't expect that it would be such a dramatic drop. (battery was about 70% charged). I measured the output voltage & it didn't get up to over 12v until well past a very fast idle. Will have to go through the system & check connections & solder the crimps onto the bullet connectors. It looks to me like its either an underperforming output charge coil/rectifier or a bad connection somewhere.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.