Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Outboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2014
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road
Re: Nissan / Tohatsu 6h 4 stroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericb760 View Post
A bit OT, but, since it seems that this thread is still being read, and my request to start an outboard sticky is being reviewed by the mods, I'll ask it here. I have a 1976 Evinrude 6hp Short Shaft. I have the opportunity to purchase a 1974 Johnson 6hp Long Shaft advertised for sale for "parts" (it turns but will not start). Seller wants $100. Based on what is available research wise, it would seem that I could make my short shaft in to a long shaft if I cannibalize it. Or, I could diagnose whatever the problem is, repair it, and then have two outboards. Which would be optimal for my dinghy. Advice? Yes? No? Is there a flaw in my carefully planned takeover of the 6hp used outboard market in SoCal?
Your only limits will be time, money, skill and desire. Take it over if you feel the need.
Let us know how it goes, success or not. All of life is a learning process. If you share we will learn. Well maybe we will
best wishes , Lou
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-30-2014
Been there, done that...

ericb760 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou452 View Post
Your only limits will be time, money, skill and desire. Take it over if you feel the need.
Let us know how it goes, success or not. All of life is a learning process. If you share we will learn. Well maybe we will
best wishes , Lou
You sound like my dad when I asked him for seed money to start a mobile DJ service in my teens.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 01-31-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou452 View Post
best wishes , Lou
did you read the link I put a few pages back

its can be used as refference for other johnson motors

my last johsnon was a 6hp longhshaft...

just keep the exhaust fumes flowing and make sure it doesnt suck up the fumes...as it will overheat and depower...

there is a mod to the engine cover I fiorget what it was for the 6 but on other motors it includes making a vent to route clean air in and dirty fumes out

cheers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

Old 01-31-2014

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post

just keep the exhaust fumes flowing and make sure it doesnt suck up the fumes...as it will overheat and depower...

there is a mod to the engine cover I fiorget what it was for the 6 but on other motors it includes making a vent to route clean air in and dirty fumes out

cheers
Some years back I converted one of my outboards to long shaft. There are lots of OMC parts shops on the web. IIRC, all I needed was a drive shaft, water pick up tube, shift rod extension, maybe a new rod?, and the lower leg spacer. My guess is that all the parts could be had for $100?

Good point on the ventilation issue . On our Coronado 25 we had to keep the cover wide open all the time or it would load up. I drilled some small holes near the top of the cowling which seemed to help.

Paul T
Old 01-31-2014
Been there, done that...

ericb760 is on a distinguished road

The mods have approved an Outboard Mintenance sticky. Please come check it out, especially those of you with extensive outboard knowledge!
christian.hess likes this.
Old 01-31-2014

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post

cheers
Quote:
Some years back I converted one of my outboards to long shaft. There are lots of OMC parts shops on the web. IIRC, all I needed was a drive shaft, water pick up tube, shift rod extension, maybe a new rod?, and the lower leg spacer. My guess is that all the parts could be had for $100?

Good point on the ventilation issue . On our Coronado 25 we had to keep the cover wide open all the time or it would load up. I drilled some small holes near the top of the cowling which seemed to help.

Paul T
Forgot this, the most difficult part of the conversion was re-installing the power head end of the water pick up tube. There is an o ring that fits into a recess in the block, it kept falling out. Finally put some gasket seal on it, let it dry for a while and stuck it into the recess.

What I should have done was to turn the motor upside down, it would have also been much, much easier to see what I was doing, Duh!! My wife says that at times I get "overly focused".

Paul T