SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Help with Johnson 4hp carb

8K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  euvoip21 
#1 ·
Well yesterday I picked up a new toy

Its a Johnson 2stroke 4hp and it runs on both cylinders and the water pump works great... I paid 75$ for it :D Very happy

The only thing is, there seems to be a string that is connected to a rod on the side of the carb.. When I pull this the engine rev's louder//

Wondering if someone knows what this is for?

Since the choke and Mixture knobs are on the front, I dont know what this could be

Happy Holidays/New Year

Adam

See less See more
#3 ·
THe THrottle is on the housing, and when i advance it the engine rev's up but when I pull the string it causes the motor to run even higher than I can attain while only using the throttle on the engine

#6 ·
The linkage connections are missing, at least from what I can see. It appears as if someone jury-rigged the linkage with a length of string. The spring is a return spring, which is used for slowing the boat down. You should be able to find a repair manual on line, and it will have a parts list with OMC numbers, which back then were the same for Johnson and Evinrude.

Good Luck,

Gary :cool:

#7 ·

Hmmm, so i am missing a piece in the throttke linkage...

Maybe i can use it like the PO did

or

Does anyone know EXACTLY which piece(s) i am missing?

Going to try and post better pics....

Thank you

#11 ·
There are lots of repair shops that specialize in older outboards. The best one in Maryland used to be located on Ritchie Highway, but I haven't been down that highway for years, so I'm not sure if they are still in business.

The other one I knew of was previously known as Imperial Marine on U.S. Route 40 in White Marsh, MD. They had an incredible service department until a few years ago, and they had a service manager who really knows older outboards. When they sold out to Marine Max he retired, but they may still work on these older engines.

Cheers,

Gary

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.