SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   P30 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/p30/)
-   -   Oil change on my Atomic 4 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/p30/100491-oil-change-my-atomic-4-a.html)

TBG 06-15-2013 09:21 PM

Oil change on my Atomic 4

I have tried many methods of suctioning the oil out of my Atomic 4 which is my
P-30 but never seem able to get much more than 2 qts. out. Currently I'm using a centrifugal pump powered by my drill /driver. It comes out through the dip stick, which ain't all that accessible.
Any other methods that are easier / more effective ?

Faster 06-15-2013 09:45 PM

Re: Oil change on my Atomic 4

We have replaced the pan drain plug with a fitting and a hose that leads up to the top of the block. It's got a plastic plug on the end of it.

For oil changes we simply connect the vacuum extractor to that hose (1/2", not the skinny tube that goes down the dipstick) and all the oil is out in 20 seconds or so. Since it pulls from the bottom of the pan you're much more likely to get the bulk of it.

The hose loops up alongside the block and stores near the injector header until we need it. Works great.

CalebD 06-15-2013 09:52 PM

Extracting only 2 qts. of oil per change seems on the low side to me. If memory serves I get somewhere around 3+ qts. out of my A4 in my Tartan 27. This may be dependent on what angle your engine is mounted in your P30. The steeper the angle of installation, the less oil you will get out through the dipstick hole.
Moyer Marine (you've heard of them right?) sells a kit that you install near the transmission (back end of engine - bottom of oil level) to make oil extraction easier and more complete.
I use a 12V Shure-Flo oil extraction pump through the dipstick hole which makes the job pretty painless but the extraction kit costs ~ $150. I have also used the drill powered pump and I'm not impressed that it is that easy to use or clean. A lot of folks say the vacuum pump oil extraction kits work quite well and they are not as costly as the 12V kits.

You need to have an easy way to change the oil on your A4 as this way, you will do it more often and your engine will like you better.

Lubrdink 06-15-2013 10:02 PM

I have a brass bolt tapped into the trans inspection plate which allows the hose to be dropped into the lowest part of the crankcase.

Lubrdink 06-15-2013 10:03 PM

I gave pics if you want to see it.

Loki9 06-19-2013 11:16 PM

I put one of these: Moyer Marine Online Store on my A4 and it works well with my hand pump. I get about 3qts out.

SlowButSteady 06-19-2013 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loki9 (Post 1046574)
I put one of these: Moyer Marine Online Store on my A4 and it works well with my hand pump. I get about 3qts out.

Looks intriguing. But I would be worried about that plastic hose wiggling itself loose and filling the bilge with oil.

BubbleheadMd 06-25-2013 11:22 AM

Wow, I'm getting 5 quarts out of my P30's Atomic-4. I use the West Marine vacu-suck pump.

WM Vacu-suck

You guys might try repositioning the hose while it's down in the dipstick tube a few times while you're pumping.