Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > P30
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2014

DayDreamer77 is on a distinguished road
1974 P30 Compression post

Hey Everyone,

I'm in the process of purchasing my first boat a 1974 Pearson 30 hull 603. I went over the boat and did my research and wanted to see if I could get your expert opinions. I know with this model there was an issue with the compression post rotting and needing a fix. The boat I am looking to buy appears to have been fixed, but I am not sure they cut out all the rot. (See attached pic). The first pic is the compression post where it rests on pedestal in the bilge. Second pic is the coach roof just inside the head. Looks like a repair was made.

Other than that the boat seems in great shape for the price. Recent bottom paint, new standing rigging, atomic 4 fires right up and we'll maintained. Just the interior needs some TLC.

Any info appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by DayDreamer77; 04-26-2014 at 03:03 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2014

Re: 1974 P30 Compression post

I guess I need 10 posts to attach pics. Better get to work
Old 04-26-2014

CLucas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CLucas

Difficult to tell from the photos whether the repair eliminated all the material which may have been compromised. What material is used for the shims inserted below the compression post? G10, epoxy? The wood immediately above the shims should feel/sound solid and should not be soft. Assuming it is sound, I would suggest fiberglassing a 'skirt' around the base of the post to keep water out. The other pic is difficult to assess -- what is the material that was inserted in there? My P30 has a little sag in the coach roof at the bulkhead -- just enough that makes closing the cabin door difficult. My winter project list for next fall (when I'll be dropping the mast) will include jacking up the coach roof and making a better repair than what's there now.
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~
Old 04-28-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLucas View Post
Difficult to tell from the photos whether the repair eliminated all the material which may have been compromised. What material is used for the shims inserted below the compression post? G10, epoxy? The wood immediately above the shims should feel/sound solid and should not be soft. Assuming it is sound, I would suggest fiberglassing a 'skirt' around the base of the post to keep water out. The other pic is difficult to assess -- what is the material that was inserted in there? My P30 has a little sag in the coach roof at the bulkhead -- just enough that makes closing the cabin door difficult. My winter project list for next fall (when I'll be dropping the mast) will include jacking up the coach roof and making a better repair than what's there now.
Thanks CLucas - I took the boat out for a sea trial yesterday and got to spend some time and take a closer look. The post is solid to the touch. There is one tiny black spot in the bottom corner, but dry as a bone. The other thing I noticed were the stanchion posts on the starboard side do have some radial cracks around them and look to have been sealed with some type of material and painted over. No evidence of leaking into the deck. I even buried the starboard rail a couple time to see if any water leaked into the cabin (PO was not happy with that ). No water leaked in. The only soft spot is in the cockpit between the pedestal and companion way. Looks reparable.

I went ahead and bought the boat. Bottom paint was just done last year, A4 fires right up and purrs like a kitten, standing rigging is new, sails are in excellent shape and she sails great. I'm sure I will find more that will need attention but I got a boat I can motor or sail right now for a dirt cheap price so I am happy.