SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Bimini for a P-30

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  chuck53 
#1 ·
I have a lot of questions about doing this right. The task seems to be getting more challenging and expensive. First step seems to be to relocate the traveler to the deck just behind and between the deck grab rails. When tapping on the deck it sounds hollow. The traveler feet back plates will be inside the cabin but I don't want to compress the interior and deck. How is the deck built? Do I need to reinforce the interior or the deck? Will relocating the traveler affect the way the boat feels, heals and sails? Sure appreciate some advice.

#2 ·
How about some photos of your boat? Wheel or tiller? Most decks and cockpit cored with balsa Floors may be plywood under the glass.

Where is the traveler now?

If it's tiller you would want the Bimini more forward since the you want the shade over the tiller.. You can get an off the shelf Bimini and make the hole for the back stay yourself. save lots of $ that way.

#3 ·
Yes it has a Tiller and the traveler is currently just behind the tiller in front of the stern locker/ seat. I am tending to agree that I should just go with a smaller bimini trimmed it to the current configuration or move the traveler further to the stern rather than mid boom on deck. The balsa core deck kind of spooked me. Not sure what the potential harm might be in compressing the balsa. The 3" x 6" plate on the feet for the new traveler would spread the load but the mid boom position seems to make pressures much worse.

#4 ·
Check on eBay for stock Biminis.

Changing your sheeting from boom end to more forward is not a trivial change. I'd try to live with the traveler where it is. Not sure what you'd gain by moving the traveler track further aft.

For Balsa cored decks the recommended procedure is to over drill any deck holes then fill with thickened epoxy, let cure and re-drill through the epoxy patch. This should keep moisture from getting to the Balsa core. End grain Balsa can take a lot of compression which is why it was/is widely used.

#5 ·
I used to have a Catalina 30 with tiller and end boom sheeting. because of it, I couldn't have a Bimini either. As said above, changing the traveler to the cabin top is not a simple procedure and I would investigate it thoroughly before making that change.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.