Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > P30
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2014
Pete'sP-30

PetePearson is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to PetePearson Send a message via MSN to PetePearson Send a message via Yahoo to PetePearson Send a message via Skype™ to PetePearson
Bimini for a P-30

I have a lot of questions about doing this right. The task seems to be getting more challenging and expensive. First step seems to be to relocate the traveler to the deck just behind and between the deck grab rails. When tapping on the deck it sounds hollow. The traveler feet back plates will be inside the cabin but I don't want to compress the interior and deck. How is the deck built? Do I need to reinforce the interior or the deck? Will relocating the traveler affect the way the boat feels, heals and sails? Sure appreciate some advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-29-2014
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Bimini for a P-30

How about some photos of your boat? Wheel or tiller? Most decks and cockpit cored with balsa Floors may be plywood under the glass.

Where is the traveler now?

If it's tiller you would want the Bimini more forward since the you want the shade over the tiller.. You can get an off the shelf Bimini and make the hole for the back stay yourself. save lots of $ that way.

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-30-2014
Pete'sP-30

PetePearson is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to PetePearson Send a message via MSN to PetePearson Send a message via Yahoo to PetePearson Send a message via Skype™ to PetePearson

Yes it has a Tiller and the traveler is currently just behind the tiller in front of the stern locker/ seat. I am tending to agree that I should just go with a smaller bimini trimmed it to the current configuration or move the traveler further to the stern rather than mid boom on deck. The balsa core deck kind of spooked me. Not sure what the potential harm might be in compressing the balsa. The 3" x 6" plate on the feet for the new traveler would spread the load but the mid boom position seems to make pressures much worse.
Old 04-30-2014
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Check on eBay for stock Biminis.

Changing your sheeting from boom end to more forward is not a trivial change. I'd try to live with the traveler where it is. Not sure what you'd gain by moving the traveler track further aft.

For Balsa cored decks the recommended procedure is to over drill any deck holes then fill with thickened epoxy, let cure and re-drill through the epoxy patch. This should keep moisture from getting to the Balsa core. End grain Balsa can take a lot of compression which is why it was/is widely used.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-30-2014

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

I used to have a Catalina 30 with tiller and end boom sheeting. because of it, I couldn't have a Bimini either. As said above, changing the traveler to the cabin top is not a simple procedure and I would investigate it thoroughly before making that change.

Tags
bimini , deck , traveler

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.