Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2009

bofus1 is on a distinguished road
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhouse View Post
there was some cross over of hull#s for which year, (For ex: #101 was a '72, but #173 was a '71) but I dont recall the details of why that occurred. Pearson Serial Number Decoding
Ive seen '73s from #331 to #497. I had seen #234 as a '72 named "ViewPoint" in the New England PHRF valid list - dont recall from where I got the year data, however, possibly the old sailnet list.

its pretty much anecdotal, however, she is what she is now.

mine is #393 and is a 1973.
Hi, sorry for the delay getting back with you people but I am the one who bought (adopted) Viewpoint and yes, she is a 72 with the hull #234. I made a mistake with the year when I signed on (duh) but wanted to apoligize for the error and straighten out the confusion I caused. Thank you Wheelhouse-- Bofus 1
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-26-2009

SecondWindNC is on a distinguished road
No apology needed! Enjoy your P30!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.
Old 02-10-2010
Fair Weather!

Dileo is on a distinguished road
Congrats and welcome. The Pearson 30 is a fantastic boat. There's very good reason why Pearson 30 owners are so passionate about thier boats and why you can find so much information about them. Should you have ANY questions (because, yes, I have done every concieveable thing you can get done to a Pearson 30), let me know!
Old 02-11-2010

BrickPearson26 is on a distinguished road
I just sailed my 1973 Pearson 30 from Maine to the Abacos in the Bahamas. The boat has performed very well and I am surprised I have not seen more of these cruising. I have had her out in over 10' following seas off the Jersey Coast and the boat handled it. I had to remain on the helm to maintain control, and the wheel was turning one way or the other virtually the entire time, but she stayed afloat and kept her crew alive. Her performance under sail has been very reasonable, especially given the amount of extra weight in gear we have loaded in her. Also, our 150% genoa helps.
I hope you enjoy the boat.
Old 04-29-2010

aferlazzo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickPearson26 View Post
1973 Hull # 482. Planning on sailing it south to the Bahamas and maybe even the Caribbean this fall. Boat is located on the Piscataqua River. Boat is currently on the hard getting a new rudder bushing and having bottom painted.
I am also a new P30 owner. I may have to replace the rudder bushing, or at least adjust it because it does not appear to be properly seated. Can you tell me where you got the replacement bushing?
Old 04-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dileo View Post
Congrats and welcome. The Pearson 30 is a fantastic boat. There's very good reason why Pearson 30 owners are so passionate about thier boats and why you can find so much information about them. Should you have ANY questions (because, yes, I have done every concieveable thing you can get done to a Pearson 30), let me know!
My new (to me) Pearson 30 has a wheel which I plan to remove. in favor of the tiller, which is also aboard. I was discussing this with a fellow who is a very competent sailor, and he told me that he thought the Pearson 30 is very difficult to steer with a tiller in tough conditions. He was not much more specific than that, and I know he races a tiller-steered Ensign a lot, so it's not like he is a tiller-hater.

So Pearson 30 owners or those who sail the boat a lot... is there any truth to what this guy is telling me? Is the boat tough to steer with a tiller in any conditions?

I am very familiar with the pros and cons of wheels vs. tillers and in the Pearson 30 a tiller makes a lot more sense to me, for the way I intend to use the boat, hence my plan to go back to the tiller.
Old 04-29-2010

nickmerc is on a distinguished road
I have a tiller on my P30. The only time I had an issue with boat control is when I was over powered in 30kt winds. As soon as I reefed and trimmed the sails properly I had only slight weather helm. When the sails are trimmed correctly I can sail in 8-12 kts without touching the tiller. The only issue I have is in a following sea, since the boat is fairly light, she does get tossed around a bit.

The boat was originally designed with a tiller.
Old 04-29-2010

jrmaxwell is on a distinguished road
Aferlazzo - You can get rudder bushings and a number of other P30 parts at D&R Marine D & R Marine.

We have a tiller and no issues. The helm is light and the boat is very maneuverable. The downside is you have to pay attention to your course. Unlike Nickmerc, I cannot sail for more than a few seconds without a gentle hand on the tiller. You do have to keep a firm grip when turning under power. The rudder is balanced and the prop blast hits the leading edge of the rudder and makes the boat want to turn sharper if you have the tiller turned very far. It's not a problem. Just something to be aware of.
Old 04-29-2010
Pearson 303

SVCarolena is on a distinguished road
Congrats on the new P30. My wife and I have a P303 outside DC, but we both grew up in NH. There are two active Pearson groups on Yahoo and Google that you may want to join - lots of boat specific knowledge to be shared. I also second the recomendation for D&R Marine for any Pearson specific parts. They purchased a lot of the inventory from the factory.
Old 04-29-2010

Thanks everyone for the Pearson 30 steering comments and for the D&R Marine link. I'll leave the wheel for now, maybe go back to the tiller which I am sure I will prefer, next year. But if I do go back to tjhe tiller I'll probably hold on to the wheel, pedestal and associated stuff for when I sell the boat.