SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

P30 Headliner

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  wheelhouse 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have obtained a solar panel that I want to install on the sliding hatch cover. I know it is not the best place to obtain maximum output, but it is more than enough for my needs. In doing so I will be removing the sliding hatch cover and I want to pot all of the fastener holes. This led me to want to rebed all of my thru deck hardware.

Now I come to the issue of the headliner. The molded, single pice headliner does not lend itself to filling a bunch of thru holes with epoxy, not mounting any deck hardware on the cabin top. I am thinkning of removing about 90% of the headliner. This will give me easy access to thru deck holes for potting them, allow me to run the wires for my solar panel where I want them instead of shoving them betwen the deck and headliner, and allow me to install some insulation to help keep the cabin cooler in the summer. I will then fabricate removable panels to replace the headliner.

My concern is at the bulkheads on either side of the head. In the headliner there are chanels the that the plywood bulkheads go into. I think they are cosmetic (so you don't have to worry about the joint), but I have heard the channels are structural. I do not want to remove part of the boat structure. When I look at the bulkhead to headliner joint, I can actually fit my finger between the base of the chanel and the plywood bulkhead.

Does anyone know if any part of the headliner is structural?

See less See more
#2 ·
1. I wouldnt expect any headliner to be structural, but if its keeping the bulkheads in place, I wouldnt mess with THEM.

2. Alternative to removing all the headliner, one could use a hole saw to access the underside of the cabin top and have much smaller panels to fabricate. and much nicer, if the fastening comes undone and the panel takes flight under way - people stick their families down there to keep them safe at times.

3. be careful with the insulation selection or you may get mold growing in it.

4. and whats wrong with shoving wires in between the headliner and deck?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.