Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > P30
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2010
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Fair warning- The "Rant" light is now illuminated.

So, what have we learned? you don't save any money up front, you don't save any money on the back end, and ignorance ain't bliss.
BRAVO!

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2010

tadds is on a distinguished road
Converted to Diesel

I have a 1974 P30 and "had" an Atomic 4 which was totally unreliable at the worst possible times. I had it swapped out for a M-25XP Westerbeke Diesel and have never regretted the decision.
Old 08-09-2010

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadds View Post
I have a 1974 P30 and "had" an Atomic 4 which was totally unreliable at the worst possible times. I had it swapped out for a M-25XP Westerbeke Diesel and have never regretted the decision.
That's all well-and-good, and I'm happy it worked out for you, but, by all accounts: The venerable old Atomic 4 might just be the quietest, smoothest-running, most reliable power plant anybody's ever put in a sailboat.

However: They are not perfect. They are not trouble-free. Some are better than others. Sometimes they break. Such is the nature of anything created by Man.

Nice rant, BLJ. Bravo!

Jim
Old 09-18-2010

nelsonstruck is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the advice, loved the rant. I will fix the A4. I did pull it using the mast and the boom as a crane. Worked great.
Old 09-18-2010

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonstruck View Post
Thanks for all the advice, loved the rant. I will fix the A4. I did pull it using the mast and the boom as a crane. Worked great.
Good on you!

I wondered if that'd work on a P30. It actually does fit thru the opening under the companionway, eh? What did you have to remove from the engine to get it to fit thru there? Did you put runners under the engine, coming up to the cabin, to kind of "skid" it up that far, as I've heard is done? I assume you attached the main halyard to the boom to add a bit more strength, rather than just relying on the topping lift? What did you use for lifting tackle under the boom?

Details, sir, details!

I'd love to pull our A4, some day, in the fall, take it home and give it a thorough going-over, incl. all of Moyer's upgrades.

Jim
Old 09-19-2010

Actually I took nothing off of the engine. I did dismantle the cabinets around the sink and steps. I was left with the top piece of the counter around the sink just hanging. I cut it off at the corner and then straight back from the corner of the sink. I will reattach this later. I then had all the room I needed. First I took the halyard and put a come along on it. I lifted the engine up to test the strength, there was plenty. Then with the halyard line and another line from the cleat on the back of the boat for for control, I picked it up then pulled it back and set it on the side of the boat on the bench. Then I hooked the halyard to the end of the boom and threaded some 3/8 line through the halyard clip and ran around five times so I had five times the 3/8 for bearing. I ran it from the halyard clip so to put no strain on the boom except to hold the halyard out. I had to put about 6 feet of line down from this. I then put the come along on the end of the 6 ft line. The engine has a nice place for a hook on top, perfectly balanced. I had the boom at about a 45 degree angle, just enough so that when I did swing it out over the truck the motor would go down into it. I had enough length on the come alone that I could pick it up and over the rails and then let it down into the truck parked next to it. I have pics. The worst part of the job was that one of the bolts mounting the engine was particularly difficult to get out. I am large, and somewhat less flexible than I used to be, so of course this bolt was the right rear bolt, the hardest one to reach. I eventually snapped it and once the prop was disconnected, it moved.
Old 09-19-2010

I forgot, I did remove the exhaust from the end of the manifold back.