Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > P30
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2010

RichH will become famous soon enough
Youre probably not going to find stress cracks in a Pearson hull as the Pearsons knew the proper ratios of glass to resin with which to lay up. ... and thats how they became the 'masters' of lightweight solid hull construction in the 70s.

However, such solid layup is subject to FATIGUE ... and such fatigue is additive and renders such a hull to a 'defined service life'.
Suggest you do a websearch for - "Fatigue endurance of fiberglass hulls (US NAVY)". Fatigue in a hull will lead to sudden catastrophic failure. Maybe JeffH can be encouraged to add some comments on the needed parameters on a hull to prevent FATIGUE, etc. Thats why the P30 isnt going to be a good 'ocean boat' --- the hull is 'too thin' and the load cycles on the hull will be FAST and tremendous. For ocean sailing youre going to need a boat that is built 1.5 to 2 times the STRENGTH of P30.

;-)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-16-2010

hobbits is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up to rich h

hey rich,ive got pics from the boatyard if you have an e-mail address you could send me i,d be happy to share them w/you for further advise.thats if your not to busy?im at tminiola@yahoo.com and its lookin like im gonna need all the advise i can get.already searchin for a great bluewater boat.tom
Old 08-16-2010

You can get plenty of advice on the P30 on Pearson.net and Pearsoninfo.net
Im not too good with pics as Im mostly blind.
:-)
Old 09-01-2010

the pearson brothers?

after doing lengthy research ive found that there are no pearson "brothers"and pearsons design is a architecural design by bill shaw.however there was a pearson as founder and his cousin.
Old 09-02-2010

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
The Pearson Era (BoatUS/Good Old Boats).

Enjoy

Jim
Old 09-05-2010

ferryman 10hp

there was a parts mechanic on here who asked me what my model numbers on my ferryman were.i found out its a a-30 does anyone know where i can get parts for this motor??
Old 09-10-2010
Jim A.

TBG is on a distinguished road
P-30 Hull indentations (oil canning ??)

I have a 79 P 30 that has developed an indentation about 1.5 ft. below the rub rail on the port side under the upper shroud. It is about 4" in diameter. There is no cracking in the gel coat. There is a more subtle, smaller indentation on the starboard side under the forward shroud. How serious a problem do I have here. Is it related to shroud tension ? they are to spec. not overly tight. a bulkhead problem ? I've also noted a slight discoloration in the hull ( it's just a little darker than the rest of the gel coat) on the port side. This is in the same general mid-ship area but is along distinct vertical lines ? Are these related problems ?
Old 09-10-2010

dimples in side reply

this is in reply to the tbh sailor w/dimpling.i just bought a 1973 pearson 30 that on haul out survey had dimples in port and starboard about 18 inches in size,perfectly round and 3/16 inch deep.just forward od the inside bulkhead.i had the boatyard try to push them out however pearsons of that era being bullet proof it wasnt gonna happen.the boatyard,and surveyor assure me its from miscare and the boat sitting on peir blocks to long and placed incorectly,ok i,ll buy that.however now that you have the same im a little more concerned.the surveyor assures me the hull has no oil canning as rich h has stated on this post.so i have to go w/surveyors and boat yard explaination of neglect on improper placement of blocking at sometime.i cant get a detailed history on the boat.
remedy--the boatyard after trying to push the dimples out from the inside decided to grind them out some to adhere fiberglass and filler to them and making dimples flush perfectly w/hull again before repainting the hull again.
it kind of perplexes me that you have found this same issue.it is about 1-2 ft.below water line.if you send me your e-mail address i can send you pix of the repairs and tell me if the same spot as yours,as that would mean it wasnt pier blocking and may be some defect we dont know about in pearson hulls.mine is-tminiola@yahoo.com this causes a little more concern and i now wonder if any other pearson owners have had this same problem.
Old 09-10-2010

Hobbits - those 'dimples' will eventually 'return to flat' when the boat is back in the water .... takes some time.
Old 09-13-2010

dimples in hull

ok rich i listened to your input.while helpfull it was incorrect.i had a hull expert and my surveyor go re-inspect them.the dimples are from peir block jacks that were placed just forward of the inside bulkhead.after not being able to push them out they are fixed.the hull has no oil canning whatsoever.thanx for the input tho.