SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

The new guy needs a map

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  jtober 
#1 ·
So I plunged in an bought #49 a 1970 p30. Now what? Where do I find parts for this boat? And what are some of the first things I should look for? Is on a cradle and will go into the water next spring- so what should I look for to make sure it's water tight?

I look forward to your help. Thanks - Mike

#2 ·
Gratz on the boat. Your request is a tall order though. There's a lot more stuff to learn and understand than can be communicated via electronic messaging. Now would be a good time to learn the locations of seacocks, make sure they work - easier to replace out of the water than in. Verify rigging (standing and running) are ok, as well as mast/ post, and chainplates. Trace wiring, plumbing, etc. That year probably had a Palmer engine in it, it it doesnt now, then it been changed out, good time to change oil, check plugs, points, water pump impeller, check the exhaust system for holes, check the fuel lines for leaks. Go thru sails to look for damage that could be repaired during the winter.

HTH,
cdw

#3 ·
I agree with wheelhouse's starting points. Stuff you can't do in the water like bottom paint, seackocks, rudder bushings (http://www.drmarine.com/), check the cutlass bearing, shaft log, stuffing box (at the very least find out what you will use to tighten this before you launch), and engine work is usually easier on the hard.

Next, think of things you can't do after the rig is up like chainplates, standing rigging, mast wiring for lights/VHF/insturments. Once you're floating with the rig up - well everything pretty muchs stops then and you go sailing.

Congrats on the boat, guarantee you're gonna love it.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Where you find parts depends on what parts you need. What are you looking for?

Most parts you will need are not specific to the P30 and can be found at chandleries. Engine parts are dependent on the engine you have. If you have an Atomic 4 check out Moyer Marine. Great resource.

Dan Pfeiffer used to have pearsoninfo.net as a great resource. It no longer works, but he does still have P e a r s o n &nbsp&nbsp 1 0 M which is great for Pearson stuff in general.

#7 ·
Where you find parts depends on what parts you need. What are you looking for?

Most parts you will need are not specific to the P30 and can be found at chandleries. Engine parts are dependent on the engine you have. If you have an Atomic 4 check out Moyer Marine. Great resource.

Dan Pfeiffer used to have pearsoninfo.net as a great resource. It no longer works, but he does still have P e a r s o n &nbsp&nbsp 1 0 M which is great for Pearson stuff in general.
Handy little link:
Pearson Information site
:cool:

#8 ·
Another thing that would be good to check while she's out of the water is the condition of the rudder. From Jack Hornor's review of P30:

"The only consistently reoccurring problem noted with a majority of Pearson 30's is sloppy rudders that results from Pearson's use of Delrin bushings in a fiberglass rudder post tube. Worn bushings are easily replaced without considerable expense. Through about hull number 200, Pearson used an aluminum rudder post that was prone to failure. These boats were recalled by Pearson and retrofitted with rudders with stainless steel post. It is unlikely there are boats with aluminum rudder post but its a good idea to check if the hull number is below 200. "

Great boat, we love ours (1974 P30).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.