Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > P30
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2011
Jim A.

TBG is on a distinguished road
Main Halyard on P-30

My current rope to wire halyard needs replacing can this be done with all rope. I know there is a groove in the masthead sheave. Does this preclude using all rope, if not what's the largest diameter rope that will fit through it ?

Thanks
TBG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-30-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Sheaves for wire rope have a more 'V' shaped groove then the 'U' shape for line.
I'd recommend inspecting your masthead sheave to see what is there and what condition it is in and consider replacing the sheave with one intended for line.
McMaster-Carr carries a large number of off the shelf sheaves: McMaster-Carr

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CalebD; 04-30-2011 at 05:06 PM.
Old 08-02-2011

lunarrichard is on a distinguished road
i just recently replaced my main halyard on p-30 hull # 346. i used a dyneema low-stretch from west marine. the line is 8mm. the reason i choose that diameter is because i put an 11mm line on the jib halyard last year and it was too large in diameter. when i went to take the jib down it was stuck in the sheave at the top of the mast and i had to send someone up the mast to unjam the spliced part of the line to get the sail down. so this year i replaced the jib and the main halyards with 8mm line. i had them made 110 ft long which is just a little too long but better than the alternative. my halyards lead from the bottom of the mast to stoppers and cleats on the cabin top just in front of the cockpit.

now on to the sheave. the new main halyard that i put on is getting chafed about 12 inches from the shackle so i figure that the sheave at the top of the mast is probably the original and made for a wire/line halyard. if you find out the sheave that is the correct replacement i would be very interested in knowing which one will fit. probably a pain to replace is what i'm thinking if you plan on doing it in a bosun's chair. the chafe is so bad on my brand new main halyard that i'm either gonna have to shell out lots of cash for replacement line or get to the bottom of the problem and put in the proper type of sheave up top.

let me know if this info helps. i will be more than happy to let you know exactly what line and captive-pin shackle i bought. it fits perfectly and is plenty strong enough. just need to solve the chafe issue.

andy

abaco glow

satellite beach, fl/abaco, bahamas
Old 08-02-2011

nickmerc is on a distinguished road
I just bought 4 new mast head sheaves for my P30. I chose the 40-MH from Garhauer. I did have to ask them to make the ID 1/2" instead of 3/8". I suggest trying to take one of the old ones out to measure it and find a replacement similar in size. I am not sure my masthead is original to the boat which is why I cannot say with certainty to go with what I did.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.