P30 Contingent Purchase - Annapolis/Baltimore
I have a deposit on a 1978 P30 that has been dry feet for 8 years. No engine, but boat is in pretty good condition. I noticed on a different thread from a number of years ago, what to look for when buying used P30. Noted Mast support......this boat has a crack in the liner to the right of the mast support (3+ inches) but examining the bilge at the foot of the mast shows no visual damage. The head door is not flush and the top right of the door contacts the right side of the door frame, so it will not shut. The boat has no engine.
1. I understand I will have to drop some money for an engne (anyone know of a good used one near Chesapeake Bay/DC/Phil/NJ region)?
2. The boat seems solid and I will be having a knowledgeable friend (Islander 30) inspect it with me this weekend.
3. Combination of owner wants to move on and stop paying monthly storage, and no motor has given me the potential opportunity to get this for a extremely good price.
4. Problem: Anything too good to be true usually is. Is the crack/door a showstopper,or does the mast support need to be replaced to mitigate the problem?
5. Can I find a reasonalby trustworthy place to get a used (not necessarily rebuilt, Atomic 4? Since I don't have a core, I will contact Moyer Marine, but I'm estimating a $7000 price......I really don't want to spend that much, but SHOULD I vs a Used motor. Don't want diesel...hate the smell.
6. Does anyone have a Point of contact for Annapolis P30 Club?
7. I'd like to see if a member would meet me at the yard on Sat, 20 Aug to give me some advice and "eyes on" to see the Mast support condition and overall condition (as it relats to a P30).
8. Love the 30'er, want to get one, just want to try to avoid "stupid".