SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   P30 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/p30/)
-   -   Replacing stand pipes with thru hulls / seacocks (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/p30/85952-replacing-stand-pipes-thru-hulls-seacocks.html)

CascoBayP30 04-08-2012 10:55 PM

Replacing stand pipes with thru hulls / seacocks

Have any of you P30 owners out there replaced the fiberglass standpipes in the engine compartment and/or under the sink in the head ? I have read that some insurance companies will insist on a seacock in place of these standpipes. Has anyone else encountered this? or know of a sufficient way to put a seacock on a standpipe? This will be our first season with the boat, and I would like to avoid having to replace them if possible, as they are intact and in good shape. Any thoughts or information appreciated... thanks.

BubbleheadMd 04-10-2012 09:50 AM

Re: Replacing stand pipes with thru hulls / seacocks

Hi Casco,

I have not yet replaced mine, but I did inspect them and they seem solid.

Surveyors and insurance companies all have varying views and policies about the issue. US Boat only insisted that the boat be surveyed. I found a surveyor who actually said that he prefers standpipes over through hulls & seacocks because he said if there's going to be a failure, it'll be the valve.
I'm not saying he's right, I'm just telling you what his view was.

Another surveyor told me that he'd recommend on his survey that I rip out all standpipes and replace with through hulls and seacocks. :rolleyes:

Bottom line: Call a few surveyors and get their feelings on the issue and what their policy is.

Brent Swain 04-12-2012 10:41 PM

I prefer both , standpipes and stainless ball valves, That way, you are dependent on neither, and not on hose clamps, or flexible hose.

ggray 04-12-2012 10:48 PM

I'll bite.
What are you referring to as a standpipe?
Maybe I know it by another name, but this is new to me.

CascoBayP30 04-14-2012 07:43 AM

In a P30, the standpipes are vertical solid fiberglass tubes glassed directly into to the hull. The tops of the tubes are above waterline, and used for the sink drains, connected via hose and clamps. I, personally, haven't seen them in other boats.

Brent - How are standpipes configured in a metal boat ? and - Do you think I could feasibly add a ball valve to my standpipes via hose and adapters?

thanks

BubbleheadMd 04-16-2012 11:52 AM

Casco-

Actually, I believe that our standpipes are metal pipes that are glassed into the hull. They are completely encased in fiberglass, so you don't see the metal.

To add a ball valve, you'd have to grind away the fiberglass at the top of the pipe to see if it's threaded to accept a ball valve.

ggray 04-18-2012 09:31 PM

Thanks!