SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   P30 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/p30/)
-   -   Stuck valves (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/p30/98326-stuck-valves.html)

Midnight Mist 04-09-2013 06:44 PM

Stuck valves

Does anyone have any advice to free these without pulling the head. Is there a solvent or something that will free them. One moves and one is just stuck. Opened valve cover and things look really clean. Motor has been sitting for at least 8 years.

M.Stauffer 04-10-2013 07:33 AM

Stuck valves

Marvel Mystery oil

BubbleheadMd 04-10-2013 11:37 AM

Re: Stuck valves

Stauffer is correct. Pour one or two tablespoons into each sparkplug hole, and allow it to marinate for a few days, then start the engine.

Yes, it will smoke for a bit as the oil is burned off.

For more information and assistance with your Atomic-4, visit the Moyer Marine forum:
www.moyermarine.com

Midnight Mist 04-10-2013 09:00 PM

Thanks guys. I did talk to Ken at Moyer Marine, and he has been extremely helpful. He recommended mystery oil also, along with a couple of other options to work them free. I highly recommend them. Mabe with some luck I can be on the water by Memorial Day. Thanks again.

CalebD 04-10-2013 11:28 PM

Apparently a 50/50 mix of Acetone and automatic transmission fluid (atf) can work even better.
I'd try the MMO first. If that doesn't work you can try the acetone/atf mix.
A4 in a P30?

Midnight Mist 04-11-2013 05:46 PM

Thanks CalebD, I might try that. Still have one valve stuck. And yes it is an A-4 in a P30. Been sitting on land for a while now. Hoping to get in the water soon.

CalebD 04-11-2013 08:23 PM

If you ever need help with your A4 you should definitely check out the Moyer Marine forums: Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians - Powered by vBulletin
The membership over there is extremely helpful and would give you suggestions on how to deal with your stuck valve if you want.

Dog Ship 04-12-2013 07:19 AM

All good advice, except for one thing.
Once you have soaked everything in oil for a while don't try to start your engine. Do take a large wrench and start working the crankshaft back and forth by hand until you can rotate it at least 4 times without any conflict of the internal parts.
If you try to start it up you could bend a valve or one could hit a piston.
By working the engine free by hand you will feel any binding of the parts before they do more damage.

BubbleheadMd 04-12-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midnight Mist (Post 1015382)
Thanks CalebD, I might try that. Still have one valve stuck. And yes it is an A-4 in a P30. Been sitting on land for a while now. Hoping to get in the water soon.

It's always good to hear of another P30 being saved, and sailed. They are fantastic, dual-purpose boats.

Midnight Mist 04-13-2013 05:09 PM

Thanks BubbleheadMd, I was aware of that fact and have given the motor several spins witha wrench. Did that about an hour ago and I now have compression in all four cylinders. All valves working properly. Will put everything together tomorrow and see if it fires up. Can't wait to get on the water!