Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Pacific Northwest & Alaska
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2013

Cooper96 is on a distinguished road
Nanaimo - Princess Louisa Inlet in early July

I'm doing a one-week charter in early July and thinking of going to PLI from Nanaimo. I posted about this in January and had some very helpful replies, so wanted to throw it out there again now that I'm really planning.

It looks like options to overnight at PLI are the dock and Macdonald Island mooring balls, but anchoring is tricky? In early July I imagine it will start to get crowded.

I'm in a 50' so can probably make good speed motoring if necessary; sailing in the mountains is probably hit or miss.

Depending on progress I'm thinking of returning around the north side of Texada and hitting Comox on the way down. That may be ambitious.

Would appreciate any tips, suggestions, etc!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-15-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Nanaimo - Princess Louisa Inlet in early July

Nanaimo, Pender harbour, PLI, (one night? Two?) Anderson Bay, Sturt Bay/Vananda, Comox, schooner cove, Nanaimo..... Tight week unless PLI is a one nighter. Dark Cove is another option for a stop on the way up or out.

With one week I'd probably spend a night or two at Jedidiah instead.. You shouldn't need provisioning yet so may not 'need' Comox.

Try to do Malibu on a midday slack on arrival... Nobody leaves on the evening slacks. Anchoring is possible but watch for several tumble down boulders (20+feet tall) that cover at high tide along the shore west of the falls, the only area besides the mouth of Chatterbox where anchoring is feasible.

As far as sailing goes you may get strong afternoon inflows, and overnight/early morning outflows that can make for some fun sailing. These can get into the 20 knot range at times in the reaches approaching PLI.

Hope for good weather.. It's almost a spiritual event entering PLI!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 06-15-2013 at 11:30 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Faster For This Useful Post:
Cooper96 (06-15-2013)
Old 06-15-2013

Thanks, Faster. Hoped I would hear from you!

I had not noted Sturt Bay so that's an option if I go north. But if I get to PLI it probably makes sense to stay two nights and not bother with Comox.

One factor is that I take lighthouse photos and was hoping to swing by Sisters Islets and Chrome Island lights, south of Denman Island. But I might do that by detouring on a late Jedediah-Schooner Cove leg if the wind and weather are right.

I've looked up tides and the slack before flood for PLI is around 2 PM on my dates, so that should set up well.

Getting psyched for the trip!
Old 06-15-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

You can get Merry Island light on the way by, though generally if NW you get a nice lift up towards Texada on port tack..

Sturt is a so-so anchorage but the Texada boat club floats are welcoming and reasonable.

Anderson Bay is a gem in settled or NW conditions. In the same conditions and good wx Tribune Bay on Hornby is gorgeous if you get to Sisters.

So many options!!

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Old 06-16-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

I'm going this way in a week. I'm doing some research today. It's about forty miles from the straight of Georgia to Malibu yes?

I'm not sure if ill go into jervis or not. How much do the currents help? Run about a knot each way?

Past dark cove about four miles in there is not stopping the rest of the way right? So I don't have the option of taking my time tackin into the wind if that's the way it's blowing that day? I pretty much have to pick my time, enter and haul ass there, and if I'm lucky the winds will be behind me and I can sail and I not motor full speed ahead?
Old 06-16-2013
Just another Moderator

If it's a sunny day and there's wind it will be plenty and behind you. It's about 38 NM from Dark Cove to the end. There are not really any viable, but a couple of sketchy, overnight stops.. Vancouver Bay is one, and there's a small nook on the west side about 1/2 way with room for one boat maybe.. pretty dicey though if a serious overnight outflow sets up.

If you do get a following breeze, avoid the 'corners' on your way up.. large holes there near shore despite whitecaps and breeze 100 yds away.

Tacking all the way would make for a very long day.. good thing we've got lots of daylight right now!

Last edited by Faster; 06-16-2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old 06-16-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

If I go in ill motor if the wind isnt behind me. I've got to ask my questions now. I won't have my phone in Canada.
Old 06-16-2013
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

I've never noticed much current either direction in Jervis, there must be some but it's not strong. Harmony Islands are a nice anchorage if you get out of Louisa late or need to make an early slack going in. Sturt B., as Faster said is a so so anchorage if the dock is full. We've had to duck in there a couple of times because of bad weather, if it's really kicking up from the SE and Sturt is full you can go around the corner and anchor in Blubber Bay.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 06-16-2013

northoceanbeach, if you're going in a week, would love it if you come back here and post how it went, since I'm going in July!
Dog Ship likes this.
Old 06-16-2013

Dog Ship is on a distinguished road

Wierd, I had a post in this thread and now it's gone. It should have been the 5th post.
No slobbering on the charts.

Tags
nanaimo , pli , princess louisa