Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Pacific Northwest & Alaska
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2013

donlofland is on a distinguished road
Charts for circumnavigating Canada's Vancouver Island

I'm hoping for & planning a 4 week sail around Canada's Vancouver Island this summer. I checked on-line with the Canada Hydrographic Service for info regarding appropriate charts, (I'd bought the 3313 for the Gulf Islands the year before last, and thought ~$20 was a pretty nice fee for all that info.)

But CHS tells me this trip requires ~31 charts for this cruise. So I'm hoping someone out there has learned a way around this, 'cause spending 31X$20, $620 for charts to be used once, (yeah, next years dream is to sail or trailer to Caribbean...), goes against my grain.

I looked through a year of info here, and it appears as though Jackdale is really experienced in sailing this area, and had indeed asked for a list of charts the size I am, and there was no response, (that I can see, anyway).

So I'm not super optimistic there's a way around spending lots of $$$ for a one time use of charts, but would like to learn anything about this I can. (Dream #3 is the Mediterranean, and now I'm really wondering how charts are managed in that situation?)

And I'm a paper chart kind of guy-not much electronic gizmos/computers go on the boat with us.

Thanks for pondering this with me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-15-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Charts for circumnavigating Canada's Vancouver Island

If you are insistent on all paper then you are running out of options but on the other hand I doubt you really need all those thirty one charts. There are presumably charts covering coves, inlets etc that you will not want to explore which should eliminate a few and then what about chart books ? I have a collection that covers all of the NSW and Victorian coasts of Australia meaning I can get by with a very small number of full size admiralty yet still have the entrie coast covered.

Mind you we also have the odd electronic gizmo.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 07-15-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by donlofland View Post
I'm hoping for & planning a 4 week sail around Canada's Vancouver Island this summer. I checked on-line with the Canada Hydrographic Service for info regarding appropriate charts, (I'd bought the 3313 for the Gulf Islands the year before last, and thought ~$20 was a pretty nice fee for all that info.)

But CHS tells me this trip requires ~31 charts for this cruise. So I'm hoping someone out there has learned a way around this, 'cause spending 31X$20, $620 for charts to be used once, (yeah, next years dream is to sail or trailer to Caribbean...), goes against my grain.

I looked through a year of info here, and it appears as though Jackdale is really experienced in sailing this area, and had indeed asked for a list of charts the size I am, and there was no response, (that I can see, anyway).

So I'm not super optimistic there's a way around spending lots of $$$ for a one time use of charts, but would like to learn anything about this I can. (Dream #3 is the Mediterranean, and now I'm really wondering how charts are managed in that situation?)

And I'm a paper chart kind of guy-not much electronic gizmos/computers go on the boat with us.

Thanks for pondering this with me!
Check out Bellingham chart Printers. I think copies are about 4 bucks each. We used them in 99 when we did our circumnavigation of Vancouver Island.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 07-16-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Here is a list of the charts that I use. (they belong to the charter company)

AVI CHARTS LIST
East West South
Side Side End
3549 3605 3410
3548 3625
3546 3624
3545 3623 3440
3544 3604 3641
3543 3603 3606
3539 3602 3461
3679 3411
3513 3598
3512 3686
3564 3651
3462 3680
3463 3683
3442 3676
3443 3674
3311 3673
3312 3675
3313 3685
3686 3671
3538 3646

More if you wish to explore the Broughtons.

I also have the CHS charts for both sides on a netbook with OpenCPN. They will run about $350.00

As well a Garmin CX 76 with all the charts (in the ditch bag) and Navionics on my phone (more of a toy.)

Legally you require the charts and other publications.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 07-16-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
Check out Bellingham chart Printers. I think copies are about 4 bucks each. We used them in 99 when we did our circumnavigation of Vancouver Island.
I think Bellingham sells only CHS charts at $20.00 per, $88.00 for 3312 and 3313
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 07-16-2013

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

I went thru my old charts for Jack and came up with 3440,41,48,49,3512.98, 3603 .25 and 51. You're welcome to borrow them. I've given away most of my stash in an effort to downsize but still have most to Skagway
Old 07-16-2013
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Evergreen cruising giude chart atlasses have all the charts you need , in two atlasses, for $60 each.
Old 07-16-2013

Thank you to all of you gentlemen!

So this may sound kinda weak/mellow/whatever, but this little chart issue has changed my plans, (even though Capt Len generously offered to lend me his). Instead of buying the list jackdale and the CHS suggest, and maybe pushing through the 4 week circumnavigation of Vancouver Island we're, (wonderful wife and I), gonna just sail a bit further north between the Canada mainland and Vancouver Island, maybe as far as Desolation Sound. There's so much I read/hear about that region andthe farthest north we've been before was the Gulf Islands for a couple of days after spending a weekend in Victoria. We're both looking forward a bit more to a more leisurely approach to the trip, and enjoying less a bit more. :-)

And even though one of my goals has has always been to learn celestial navigation, it sounds like I'm gonna have to utilize a bit of reality and get into the electronics a bit...

Thanks again, Gents!

donlofland
Old 07-18-2013

And thank you Brent Swain! I hadn't seen your response before my previous reply to all, and just looked up those charts-WOW! I'm considering that circumnavigaton again...

donlofland
Old 07-19-2013

Uricanejack is on a distinguished road

I prefer Canadian Charts. The American colors are less familiar. But cheeper
I like the Maptec atlas and their water proof charts unfortunetly they do not extend up into BC.
I would strongly second the recomendation of the evergreen atlas's, they are great they fit my chart table, they can be used in the cockpit.
my only gripe is the preset way points and course's, fine if you are motoring but I sail.
i think each atlass is about 80 bucks the maptec a bit more.
I only bought the atlas's to fill the gaps when i could not get all the NOAA charts for my trip up from Portland, I found the atlas way more convienient and did not use the charts at all

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.