Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Pacific Northwest & Alaska
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2013

boatpoker is on a distinguished road
Re: New WA state insurance law??

2 million liability is a pretty standard requirement on the Canadian Great Lakes. If you can't afford insurance, I'd prefer you not dock next to me.
Old 11-22-2013
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

The largest marina in Anacortes is Cap Sante (Port of Anacortes), and we leave a boat there several times each year for up to a week at a time. Never been asked for proof of insurance. My son ran the store/marina here at the island last summer and got all the necessary permits from the state/county and never heard anything about an insurance requirement for transient boats. Not sure where this came from, but it seems like someone would have heard something about it if it was true (although with the number of new laws passed every year here in WA it's entirely possible). I'll ask one of the people I know at Cap Sante next time I'm over there and let you know what they say Ron.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-22-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Thanks John... in the end it doesn't sound like anything to worry about, it was a strange, almost casual 'comment' but it caught some attention in the boating community here. We have several club members mooring in Blaine, and of course many visit WA waters.

Everyone I know carries coverage.. the issue, I guess, is what 'enormous amount' means.

I may try to contact the authors to get some details.

Thanks again.. hope all's well with you and Laurie.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-23-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Ron,

Did or have you tried to get ahold of the authors for a comment? It also could be possible the author's are doing a BS, trying to live very frugal, ie with out insurance,on the lam per say. So when asked about insurance, since they did not have it, they were sent on there way. Kind of rambling here, but...........

I know my marina, overnight they do not ask about insurance, but if you moor for over 30 days as noted, a state minimum must be shown or knowledge of insurance is required.

Marty
Old 11-23-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Very likely the case, Marty... will do.

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Old 11-23-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

It seems to me that it would certainly makes sense that if someone is going to to tie up for more than dinner that the marina would want to make sure that the boat had coverage. Could this be that the marina was just using it as an excuse to ask them to leave for some other reason? I don't know much about the situation, but here on the east coast you at least need to sign a form and in the form it asks if you have liability coverage. If you are staying long enough to say plug into shore power I don't think it is egregious to ask to see proof especially for a boat from out of the area. I could see it being a bit up to the harbor master to decide if they want to trust you based on your signature, but if I owned the marina I would want to at least see the policy and write down the company and policy number in case there was an issue.

Perhaps things are just a bit more laid back on the North West coast. But if I had a boat in a marina and a paying visitor (therefore the marina's customer) took out my stern rail and they did not have insurance info for him, I would be expecting the marina to paying for the damages, not to mention a propane explosion or fire.

I can't imagine this is due to a "new" law likely one that has just not been enforced in the past by more than a signature or they are using it because they just did not want to rent to them. Also the "visitor for more than 3 days" is a bit of a stretch as they were getting new drivers licenses, so they were establishing permanent residency. It likely has more to do with that than anything. Perhaps they just did not want or were not allowed more liveaboards.
Old 11-23-2013
Just another Moderator

Yeah... the problem with the story is there's not enough details on the circumstance. FWIW I've sent a note to CW to try to contact the authors and get some of that info.

Totally get the idea that any marina would ask that a customer have coverage, and quite surprised that we don't get asked routinely (except by our home marina) to prove it - we've never, to my recollection, been asked for overnight transient spots.

Old 11-23-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Yeah... the problem with the story is there's not enough details on the circumstance. FWIW I've sent a note to CW to try to contact the authors and get some of that info.

Totally get the idea that any marina would ask that a customer have coverage, and quite surprised that we don't get asked routinely (except by our home marina) to prove it - we've never, to my recollection, been asked for overnight transient spots.
Well since they were getting Drivers Licences I think they were not just visiting and were signing a contract for a season. I can't imagine signing a seasonal contract without expecting to show insurance papers.
Old 11-23-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Faster,

Alvah & Diane did a big cruise from New Zealand to the PNW via Japan, the Aleutians and Alaska a few years back and wrote about it for Cruising World. Wondering if this data is a bit old? Also as cruisers they probably did not have any insurance....I believe Roger Henry was a steel boat as well.

If you would like to read more about Alva Simon, check out his book "North to the Night" A Spiritual Odyssey in the Arctic. ISBN 7679-0446-x.
Faster likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.

Last edited by aeventyr60; 11-23-2013 at 07:56 PM. Reason: more info
Old 11-23-2013
Just another Moderator

aev.. I think you're right.. this was more than a transient moorage scenario, they seemed to be relocating to the area and, as offshore cruisers likely didn't carry much if any insurance.

I think this is, in fact, a non issue for boaters visiting WA state, esp as almost every coastal cruiser is likely to have decent liability coverage. (Though how many of us carry that proof on board at all times???? note to self......)