SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Pacific Northwest & Alaska (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-northwest-alaska/)
-   -   New WA state insurance law?? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-northwest-alaska/106913-new-wa-state-insurance-law.html)

Faster 11-20-2013 03:14 PM

New WA state insurance law??

Any one in the WA area know of this?? Details?

A story, originally posted on the Cruising World website by
contributing editors Alvah and Diana Simon, stated: "the State of
Washington had recently passed a law requiring an enormous amount of
liability insurance for any vessel staying more than three days in a marina
."

This will be of interest, esp, to any Canadians planning to visit, or those who moor in nearby Blaine and Pt Roberts..

jraymer 11-20-2013 03:33 PM

Re: New WA state insurance law??

Hi Faster,

I looked on, boat.wa.gov, but I didn't see anything about higher liability insurance.
Maybe a closer look on the site or it's too new to show up in the regs?

Jim.

jrd22 11-20-2013 11:58 PM

I haven't heard anything about it Ron, and I just recently (2 weeks) renewed insurance on one boat and took out a new policy on another.

blt2ski 11-21-2013 12:18 AM

Maybe I shoulda went to the YC's talk on insurance last night......hmmmmmm......

Have not heard anything new per say. Other than the marina's may have put something into the law that states you can not moor more than 3 days without proof of insurance? ie minimum state stds or some such thing.

Marty

Faster 11-21-2013 10:57 AM

Thanks guys... here's the relevant text from the article posted last February:

Quote:

But we stopped en route in Anacortes to see old sailing friends ......In the end, the choice of winter haven wasn’t ours. Unbeknownst to us, the State of Washington had recently passed a law requiring an enormous amount of liability insurance for any vessel staying more than three days in a marina. We had neither that insurance nor the time to obtain it.

Fortunately, one marina in the village of Poulsbo, on Liberty Bay, across Puget Sound from Seattle, had been granted a dispensation from the new regulation because it’s traditionally hosted a small fleet of commercial fishing boats.
It seems they were ejected from one marina in Anacortes based on this 'new law'. Unfortunately they offer no further comment or details, and no sense of what they considered 'an enormous amount' of liability insurance...

Link to the article itself:

A Sailing Passage Too Brief in the Pacific Northwest | Cruising World

boatpoker 11-21-2013 12:10 PM

Between Duluth MN and Florida I have never been in a marina that did not require liability insurance.

erps 11-21-2013 12:21 PM

In Washington: Our marina requires proof of insurance for long term leases. Our boat yard requires proof of insurance when we haul out. I have heard that the Blaine Marina has required some of our crab fleet to provide proof of insurance for longer term moorage. We have not been asked for proof of insurance for any transient moorage though and I have not heard of a rule change yet.

Faster 11-21-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatpoker (Post 1144489)
Between Duluth MN and Florida I have never been in a marina that did not require liability insurance.

We must provide proof of insurance for our full time moorage... but don't recall ever being asked for this for transient moorage. And like Ray (erps) we must provide it for haulouts..

Odd that a statement like this was made so casually, it's got a few in BC wondering what the deal really is.. I'm sure most of us carry at least a million in 3rd party coverage, probably more.. is that an 'enormous amount'?.. not to me.

Odd, too, though,.. that Anacortes would turn away transient moorage during the slow February period without cause...

newhaul 11-21-2013 03:02 PM

They probably meant thirty days most marinas with transient moorage I have winterd in require 300 k liability here for stays of over thirty days.

Faster 11-21-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newhaul (Post 1145105)
They probably meant thirty days most marinas with transient moorage I have winterd in require 300 k liability here for stays of over thirty days.

Hmm.... 300K liability seems like a bare minimum to me.. Thanks for all the responses.. could be this 'thing' is no thing at all.. ;)