Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Pacific Northwest & Alaska
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2013

Dog Ship is on a distinguished road
Silva Bay restraurant and beer and wine store.

The restaurant and the beer and wine store in Silva Bay will close permanently on December 28th.
This is very sad news for those of us who have been going here for years.
We have always looked forward to stopping at Silva Bay for the food in the restaurant. It was simply the best.
Silva Bay has been a struggle for businesses of all kinds for many years. This will definitely effect the other remaining businesses, including the marina.
We would like to wish Tanya and Tim all the best in their future endeavors.
Silva Bay Pub, Restaurant and Liquor Store | Gabriola, BC
No slobbering on the charts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-21-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Silva Bay restraurant and beer and wine store.

Dog, I've moved your thread to the PNW section of destinations..

It's too bad, and kind of hard to understand why nobody seems to be able to make a go of it there, it's a very popular well used stopover for probably 8 months of the year. But many have tried and none have been long term successful. It's a tough business to be sure.

Do you know if the marina itself will continue or is it tied up in all this?

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-21-2013

Dog Ship is on a distinguished road

The marina is a separate business with different owners. As far as I know it will remain in business.
The restaurant and beer store were huge draws to the marina not only for your average cruiser but for the RVYC outpost across the bay.
Without the beer store and the restaurant there anymore every business will suffer including the marina. I don't know why people can't make a go of it there.
When my wife and I were kids this place used to thrive with business and was the place to be. That was over 40 years ago. Today and for the last 20-30 years it has really struggled to keep going. It has also really deteriorated in the last few years and it would take a ton of cash to bring it back.
An excavator would do it a wonder.
Sad, we are going to miss it.
No slobbering on the charts.
Old 12-25-2013

Eder is on a distinguished road

Sad to hear it go...I think getting rid of the derelicts on moorings would have helped the businesses there though. We gave it a miss many times because of this.
Old 12-25-2013

RIO GRANDE is on a distinguished road

Not just the derelict boats but the washrooms and showers that are run by the marina......
Old 12-25-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

There are 3 marinas in Silva Bay. The southern-most one (associated with Silva Bay Yacht Club) had clean bathrooms and nice reciprocal moorages with many other clubs. They also have a little store with the essentials. It was about a 15 minute walk to the restaurant, sorry to hear that they are closing because we enjoyed the food there.

The only problem with Silva Bay is that it is on the outside of Gabriola Passage. If it is roaring down Georgia Straight (so you are trying to stay protected) and you want to use Silva Bay as a stopover you need to time Gabriola Passage once getting into Silva Bay and again the next morning on your way out. You'll then need to anchor somewhere else to wait for the next slack in Dodd Narrows. It is a lot easier to just stay in Pirate's Cove.
Dog Ship likes this.
Old 12-26-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
The only problem with Silva Bay is that it is on the outside of Gabriola Passage. If it is roaring down Georgia Straight (so you are trying to stay protected) and you want to use Silva Bay as a stopover you need to time Gabriola Passage once getting into Silva Bay and again the next morning on your way out. You'll then need to anchor somewhere else to wait for the next slack in Dodd Narrows. It is a lot easier to just stay in Pirate's Cove.
The good thing about Silva Bay is that it's outside of Gabriola passage.. so it gives you a stopover after a late Strait crossing, or a stopover that always allows an early start to a run across or up the Strait without worrying about tidal gates.

We do avoid it mostly because of the derelicts/non transients - not much anchoring room left, and it is often windier than anywhere else. Still, it's a shame that those kinds of businesses can't make a go of it.
jackdale likes this.

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Old 01-02-2014
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: Silva Bay restraurant and beer and wine store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
There are 3 marinas in Silva Bay. The southern-most one (associated with Silva Bay Yacht Club) had clean bathrooms and nice reciprocal moorages with many other clubs. They also have a little store with the essentials. It was about a 15 minute walk to the restaurant, sorry to hear that they are closing because we enjoyed the food there.

But pirates cove is small and further. Silva puts you right there ready to cross or gives you a place to stay after crossing so you can come over any time and not have to worry about the timing to get in. Uh...kinda like the above guy mentioned.

Plus there is a place to park on the inside or the pass too. Denhams or deghan bay or something.

Buy otherwise silva sucks. I avoided it on my way back because the entire bay is covered in moorings that when I arrived, which wasn't late in the day, I had to anchor in the wind and it was the only night I had trouble sleeping in 5 months. Then I woke up surrounded by crab traps. Since it's one of the only safe anchorages for miles they shouldn't let the whole thing be covered in mooring balls. Sorry. I just hated silva bay because of this and it's on my list of "do not go back"
Old 01-02-2014
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Pirate's Cove was incredibly busy the 3 times that we went by it. We did stay once and it was a nice place to anchor, but you have to get there early. They really need to mandate stern ties in there, we often saw boats using up the space of 3 boats by being unwilling to stern tie. It was probably the most crowded spot that we encountered on our trip. Even the "other side" (south end of the island anchorage) was pretty busy and can be exposed in a blow. We also explored "Boat Harbor", but that is a very poorly named spot that is quite exposed too.

I expect that at least half of the people (I know this doesn't apply to you northoceanbeach) passing through are affiliated with some local yacht club and can use the reciprocal moorage in Silva Bay. Everyone else who was on our dock while we were there were using it. They are very generous with the benefit unlike most reciprocals that only have one or two dock spaces available.

Degnen Bay was also crowded with mooring balls, but didn't have the benefits of the Silva Bay Restaurant or free dock space.

I would love to see the bay cleaned up and provide more space for transient anchorage, but I still liked Silva Bay. However in a week where Georgia Strait was really blowing it was in an out of the way spot for us.
Old 01-02-2014
Just another Moderator

Silva has those two disadvantages, IMO... busy, and it will be windier than nearly any other nearby anchorage. Pages Marina (South) only has one reciprocal slip and it's often booked ahead. We generally go to Pages.. it (was) an easy walk to the restaurant.. Silva Bay Marina has slips that various yacht clubs 'reserve' for the season, but those are typically not available as 'reciprocals' with those clubs (few 'outstations' are)
Much of the marina to the north is too shallow for keelboats. Silva's main positive is its being outside the tidal gates.

Pirates is a popular spot, usually less windy but we find the holding there rather marginal and if a real blow comes up many of the stern tied boats will be in a precarious position, across the breeze. Also Pirates can be brutal ashore for mosquitoes and at least a few boats a year find the reef extensions in mid cove.

Herring bay on nearby Ruxton is our preferred spot unless a big NW breeze is expected. We poked our nose into 'Boat harbour' last summer.. too many KEEP OUT signs and NO MOORAGE... very unwelcoming.

Degnen is indeed packed up with resident mooring balls, and it's a difficult spot to anchor because the currents are so varied that few boats 'pull' in the same direction at the same time.

Another option in the area is anchoring behind Kendrick Island on the south side of Gabriola Pass entrance.. There's a WVYC outstation there but room for a few boats on the hook. And part way through the pass on Valdes Is is a recently created marine park, Wake Cove(?) with a dinghy dock and an interesting walk ashore. We've spent the night there before.
jrd22 likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.