Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Pacific Northwest & Alaska
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Elder abuse

84 year old writer June Cameron appears to be threatened with having her only water supply cut off by the Seattle Yacht club in Cortes bay on Cortes Island BC, who claim her well is on their property. Nice work guys! It seems that consideration for the elderly is not in their system of values. She has been inquiring about my watermaker. Surely such filthy rich can give her a break for the time she has remaining. If not , I'm sure local farmers there would be willing to offer material with which to sweeten their wells. The rumour is they want her well ,to up the speculative value of their property there.
Their welcome there was minimal to begin with. Elder abuse in any small community doesn't go over all that well.
Nor should it!
Old 12-29-2013

Dog Ship is on a distinguished road
Re: Elder abuse

If you really want to help try leaving the filthy rich part out you may get a better response from them. Just because you have money doesn't make you a bad person. I think we had that conversation once before.
Secondly, the Seattle Yacht Club already has their fair share of elderly so I doubt that there is any "abuse" going on.
Getting back to June Cameron however, surely the club can allow her to stay connected to the system regardless of who's property the well is on.
Even if the well is not on her property, really, how much water could an 84 year old possibly be using.
There must be more to this that is not known.
zeehag likes this.
No slobbering on the charts.

Last edited by Dog Ship; 12-29-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-29-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Seems if she has been using it for a long time, she should be able to continue. Must be more to this than meets the eye.
zeehag likes this.
Old 12-30-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

If Ms. Cameron has the same "filthy rich" chip on her shoulder, that would explain it. If not, I hope they can work it out amicably.

What's the back story from each side?
jameswilson29 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-30-2013

From what I have been able to find out this would appear to be a David and Goliath story regarding property rights and access rather than an elder abuse issue.
Goliath, The Seattle Yacht Club and Mrs. Cameron being David.
The 84 year old Mrs. Cameron has frequented Cortes Bay ever since she was a child and from what I understand she purchased a piece of property in Cortes Bay back in the 70's. Mrs. Cameron's property borders the clubs property and is surrounded on two sides by the clubs property.
I'm not sure how long the Club has had an outpost there but the clubs property cuts off Mrs. Cameron's access to Red Granite Road. There is a legal easement for her to use so as she can access her property from that road.
I am sure her little piece of paradise has changed greatly ever since the club set up shop.
From what I understand Mrs. Cameron's property was first developed back in the 1930's to the 1940's, long before she owned it.
The well was probably put in where there was water and without much or any concern for property lines. Now that things have gotten a bit busier with the club there her well is more than likely in there way, not to mention her driveway as well.
Of course, cutting off her water is definitely "not" the way to go about this, but who knows what has gone on, or been said over the years.
Mrs. Cameron needs a lawyer not a water maker.
Just my thoughts.
Old 12-30-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Ship View Post
From what I have been able to find out this would appear to be a David and Goliath story regarding property rights and access rather than an elder abuse issue.
Goliath, The Seattle Yacht Club and Mrs. Cameron being David.
The 84 year old Mrs. Cameron has frequented Cortes Bay ever since she was a child and from what I understand she purchased a piece of property in Cortes Bay back in the 70's. Mrs. Cameron's property borders the clubs property and is surrounded on two sides by the clubs property.
I'm not sure how long the Club has had an outpost there but the clubs property cuts off Mrs. Cameron's access to Red Granite Road. There is a legal easement for her to use so as she can access her property from that road.
I am sure her little piece of paradise has changed greatly ever since the club set up shop.
From what I understand Mrs. Cameron's property was first developed back in the 1930's to the 1940's, long before she owned it.
The well was probably put in where there was water and without much or any concern for property lines. Now that things have gotten a bit busier with the club there her well is more than likely in there way, not to mention her driveway as well.
Of course, cutting off her water is definitely "not" the way to go about this, but who knows what has gone on, or been said over the years.
Mrs. Cameron needs a lawyer not a water maker.
Just my thoughts.
Seems that if she has been maintaining the well for about 40 years one would think she would be covered by adverse possession laws. I agree she needs a lawyer.
Old 12-30-2013

In Canada we call it a covenant. I'm surprized there was not one in place when she purchased the property, or maybe there was and it is now being challenged by the club.
We have very different property laws in Canada than you do in the US.
When you own property in the US you have a lot of power when it comes to possessing and maintaining ownership of your property.
In Canada even though you hold a deed to the property you supposedly own, in reality you are simply renting it for a while.
If our government wants your property they simply pay you fair market value and take it.
Old 01-08-2014

Uricanejack is on a distinguished road

Usually in Canada there is a easement for access and where there is a shared well a covenant or easement.
Old 01-08-2014
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

Even though I'm not the yacht club type, I'm having a hard time believing the SYC would cut off a woman's water who has been their neighbor for so long. Especially if that woman was a local author and artist ( "Destination Cortez Island", great book) with ties to Cortez Island going back to the 1930's. I hope common sense and decency prevails.
Dog Ship likes this.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 01-09-2014

The club has enough resources to drill there own well.
I'm starting to think that this thread is just a shameless promotion by Brent so he can sell his water makers.