SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Sea Lions.

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  dabnis 
#1 ·
Summer cruising is in full swing here... Heading into Desolation Sound? Check these guys out on your way. Approach slowly and you can get a good view. Remember your moving in thier space. Cheers.

#2 ·
They look like they have all the big fat salmon to eat that they want to. Love the sound of your little one lunger chuffing away. Reminds me of the old Monterey's in San Francisco with their Hicks gas engines, which stood about 3 to 4 feet high. Thoroughly enjoy your videos.

Thanks, Paul T

#6 ·
As always there is a happy medium. I have seen the mouth of the Russian River, in Northern California, completely lined across the river with seals. from what I have read, they take a huge amount of returning Coho Salmon & Steelhead.

I understand there is a similar problem where Lake Washington flows into Puget Sound? It appears the seal & sea lion populations are booming? IIRC the pier 39 Marina in San Francisco was over run with them, causing about half the berths to become unusable.

Maybe a limited "thinning" in some areas would be in order?

Paul T

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.