Sequim to Seattle - Novice Sailor, Advice Needed - SailNet Community
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By MedSailor
  • 3 Post By diggler989

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-16-2015 Thread Starter

Question Sequim to Seattle - Novice Sailor, Advice Needed

Greeting

I'm new here (first post) - please go easy!

Just bought a 1973 Miller 28 (29' LOA) that is outfitted with an inboard Yanmar 2GM20F (runs great, a little over 600 hours, well maintained). She's in really nice shape for her age overall, the previous owners took great care and had a deep affection for her.

I'm planning to take her from Sequim (John Wayne Marina) down to Seattle (Elliott Bay Marina) on Wednesday with a buddy of mine, who has experience on fishing boat in Alaska but not much more than that. I sailed a bit as a kid (some ~20-25 years ago), but recently jumped back into it taking ASA courses (on J-boats in the sound). I'm a natural sailor, but not an expert by any means.

This last few days I have spent a fair amount of time planning the trip, plotting the course, going over the things I need to do in prepping the boat, and working out the timing of my departure. I would like to get feedback if possible on a few points that I am not sure about:

Departure:

As best as I can see it, the ideal time for the departure from Sequim would be around ~9:30a, so as to catch the incoming tide to shoot me down Admiralty inlet. I find myself using DeepZoom's site to visualize the tides and currents - any advice on navigating around the inlet (it looks challenging)?

The charts show that Sequim bay has narrow channels out of the marina, my boat has a 5' draft - I am going to be on edge heading out to sea.

Engine and fuel:

The boat has a 15 gallon tank, I am planning to bring an extra 5 gallon for good measure. The problems that I have are calculating my fuel burn rate and whether or not I can get anywhere near hull speed (6.5kts for my boat). On the conservative side, I "think" I could run it for 30 hours on the 15 gallons alone. Does this sound plausible?

Navigation Equipment:

The boat came with a low-end Lowrance GPS. I'm planning to do this trip with iPad software (SeaNav, Boat Watch for AIS), Compass Eye, Boat Beacon), using the Lowrance as a secondary tool. Does this sound "ok" for this trip?

Safety;

I have all the required safety gear on the boat, a good radio, and an inflatable dinghy with oars. I also bought a comprehensive insurance policy that includes towing (in case the s**t hits the fan).

I'm excited, yet nervous - any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-16-2015
islander bahama 24

Re: Sequim to Seattle - Novice Sailor, Advice Needed

It will be an easy day on the water are you planning to sail or motor this trip? If sail check with sail flow for wind forecast
Also I would start a lil earlier than 930 say plan to be out of the marina by 0800. Plenty of water and dont forget the sunblock
SailFlow.com - WA - puget sound Wind Data its about 47nm so at least 7 hours but shouldn't be more than ten depending on winds

Illegitimus Non Tatum Carborundum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to newhaul For This Useful Post:
diggler989 (06-16-2015)
post #3 of 9 Old 06-16-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
It will be an easy day on the water are you planning to sail or motor this trip? If sail check with sail flow for wind forecast
Also I would start a lil earlier than 930 say plan to be out of the marina by 0800. Plenty of water and dont forget the sunblock
SailFlow.com - WA - puget sound Wind Data its about 47nm so at least 7 hours but shouldn't be more than ten depending on winds
I'm planning to motor it from Sequim through Marrowstone, hoping that I can get the sails out sometime thereafter.

Water and sunblock = check!

Thanks for the feedback =]
post #4 of 9 Old 06-16-2015

Where's your destination in Seattle? If you are heading past Shilshole into Lake Union remember that the bridges won't open from 4:00-6:00 PM so you may end up having to hang out a bit if you arrive in the afternoon. Weather forecast looks great-should be an awesome first trip. Have fun!
post #5 of 9 Old 06-16-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by danvon View Post
Where's your destination in Seattle? If you are heading past Shilshole into Lake Union remember that the bridges won't open from 4:00-6:00 PM so you may end up having to hang out a bit if you arrive in the afternoon. Weather forecast looks great-should be an awesome first trip. Have fun!
I secured a slip at Elliott Bay Marina, and thanks!
post #6 of 9 Old 06-16-2015

Weather's great, you should have a nice low stress trip. Sounds like you've got the currents thing figured out, that's probably the main concern.

Keep away from the shipping channels if at all possible, and keep your eyes peeled for tugs, ferries, barges etc.

Regarding GPS, if you're planning to use that iPad with SeaNav, make sure it all works fine with no cell coverage or WiFi (many don't). This may require you to pre-load charts, and your AIS won't show up.

Have fun!
post #7 of 9 Old 06-16-2015
Closet Powerboater

Sounds like you got it covered. You want ample time to catch the current change at Admiralty inlet so that you're riding the flood down the sound.

A couple points:

1. Don't confuse tide and current. Current tables are measured in Knots. Tide tables are measured in feet. Low and high tide are not the same time as slack current.

2. John Wayne isn't that shallow.... Are you leaving on a minus tide or a positive tide? If the chart shows 5 feet, that's at zero tide, so if at that time of day you're at +3 on the tide table, you will have 8 feet of water. Plenty.

3. Personally I like to have at least ONE paper chart. Maptech has a nice foldable one that covers all of puget sound, is waterproof, and even shows things like ferry routes etc. $20.

4. Stay away from the big ships. Stay out of the shipping lanes. They sneak up on you fast. Also, if in a panic ships, ferries and tugs DO NOT monitor CH 16. They monitor 13. Think "unlucky 13 because I'm about to get run over."

5. That motor should burn 1/2-1 gallon per hour.

You'll be fine and you'll have a great trip. Enjoy and welcome to SailNet!

MedSailor
jrd22 likes this.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-16-2015
landofrainandgray

Look at your charts and steer clear of Pt. Wilson near Pt. Townsend--it can get real nasty there and in a 28 ft boat, I'd want to avoid it. We left for Swiftsure crossing on what seemed like flat, calm water and got close to Pt. Wilson and let's just say, "We won't do that again!"

Weather should be good all week and you'll likely see some whales!

Joy
Folie a Deux
PNW
post #9 of 9 Old 06-23-2015 Thread Starter

I made it in ~8.5 hours, motoring most of the way, but rode the flood down. I spent a good 30 minutes dodging the Kingston ferries, played it safe and waited for them to cross!
jrd22, MedSailor and newhaul like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.