Ladysmith-> Salmon Inlet - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 04-06-2016 Thread Starter

Ladysmith-> Salmon Inlet

Hi there folkes, looking for some tips and advice.

I am fairly experience seaman, I've worked on tugs and commercial fished offshore for years. However my sailing experience is a little limited.

With that said the intention is to grow that with trips such as the one we'll be undertaking thursday.

Our plan is to depart ladysmith around 8am and catch the slack/flood at Dodd Narrows and then carry on to Bucaneer Bay on Thormanby Island anchor there for the evening and then carry on on friday.

I am a little concerned with transiting Dodd Narrows, as I have never done so in a sailboat it has always been in a high power little boat or a large tug. And the tides and currents in and around that area can be a little strange.

I'm looking for some advice from someone with some local experience, slack water pre flood is at 11am, with max of 8.6kn at 1:49pm. When is the ideal time to transit? judging by what I can make of the tide tables and current predictions anywhere from 11am-1230 seems like it would be a reasonably safe and gentle time but I'd feel alot better with some advice from a sailor whos done it a few times.

Much appreciated.

fyi we'll be travelling in a 33ft peterson, and with friends in a 26ft Tanzer

Will
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-06-2016
Just another Moderator

Re: Ladysmith-> Salmon Inlet

Dodds narrows is deep and straight, but very narrow and usually has quite a bit of traffic at slack in both directions including tugs, barges and other tows. I would transit as close to slack time as you can esp Northbound. The pass is known for eddies and debris being thrown around at times. It's short and only takes 5 mins or so at or near slack. Keep an eye (and an ear on Ch16) for oncoming traffic when you decide to transit. If you're early you can ride a bit of a backeddy up the Mudge shore, but watch for kelp and swirls. Mid week and pre summer traffic should be a bit less.

That's quite a big chunk (Ladysmith to Buccanneer bay) and if there's a westerly blowing you don't really want to stay at Thormanby anyway.. Secret Cove, Smuggler cove are better overnight spots and are right there too. Thormanby is an awkward anchorage with a steep beach and a deep dropoff.

If you're really heading for Salmon inlet/Sechelt, then the Sechelt (Skookumchuck) rapids are a much bigger deal than Dodds, and I'd really want to hit that at slack.

If you're traveling at Tanzer speeds that will affect your passages too.. We'll run Porlier late and with the current but not many other passes unless there's no other option.

If you're not in a special hurry, I'd probably do Ladysmith to Schooner Cove on the Island, cross over to Pender harbour or Green Bay and carry on... or Ladysmith across to Gibsons (via Gabriola) and then up the Sunshine coast as a less preferred option. In a Westerly you can often ride a lifted tack Nanaimo to the bottom of Texada so that's another, more direct option and Anderson Bay is a very nice overnight spot then.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 04-06-2016 at 01:47 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Faster For This Useful Post:
willdadd (04-06-2016), wrwakefield (04-08-2016)
post #3 of 3 Old 04-08-2016
Cruiser

Re: Ladysmith-> Salmon Inlet

Thanks, Faster,

We transited through from Seattle in 2014 but didn't have as much time to explore as we originally planed.

Next time we are in your area we will reread your advice.... possibly this summer...

Cheers!

Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.