SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Trip Report: Bremerton Marina

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
We all had a late start for the event [Overnight Sail to Port of Bremerton on S/V "Hello Gorgeous" (Aug16-Aug17) - The Puget Sound Sailing Group (Seattle, WA) - Meetup.com ]- which was no concern to me as traffic was horrible from all points and frankly I needed a breather from cleaning up the boat (due to the previous evening's installation of new gear on board).

Some of the last minute items were installing a new mainsheet block system for a 6:1 purchase and 24:1 fine tune, doubling the purchase on the vang, and installation of dual Harken Quatro winches on the foredeck. The later is so that I can have all the spinnaker / jib hoisting done on race days by a dedicated "mast" crew and get that activity out of the pit. At any rate it took way longer than I had anticipated to do as usual.

At any rate - the day began off well. We did our customary social / safety orientation prior to debarking and had an uneventful departure.

Reasonably sunny, 12 kts or so of wind out in the sound. We shot out towards Shilshole for the first part of the sailing that entailed covering the "what is this do-hickey and what does it do".

Fast & fun - especially since now we have GPS wired to the speed instrument and could get SOG (that speed instrument is not calibrated right and I think its simply installed in the wrong location).

We then turned up and headed toward Blake Island. Upon which once we got to Alki - started the process for running the spinnaker.

We then shot up a spinnaker and did it successfully the first time - mainly because we checked and double checked. The crew all handled the actual hoist etc - I just played part of the observer and only jumped in when necessary. They all did an excellent job and it was a pleasure to see that the members that took the Mike's (PSSI Event that morning) - grocked what was taught and got a chance to do it on a different boat themselves. Way cool actually.

We then had shifts in wind and the direction we needed to go was not conducive to using the sail. The spin drop was excellent. We then did the unrolling of the genoa and this is where we ran into problems. It jammed at the 75% portion of the sail on the unroll. Investigated halyards being wrapped and tried to manually spin the roller's base. We did manage to get it unfurled when I noticed that that the genoa was hanging to low on the furler shaft. I had noticed that issue as well when we furled for the spinnaker as well.

"Pull up the jib halyard", I yelled to the pit. They looked at me puzzled. Stated it was clutched close and tight... I yelled to have them check again - as the sail started sliding down the track onto my head...

For a minute or two there I though the crew was playing a practical joke on me.

Then we saw the problem - the steel / jib halyard had sheared...We get the sail on deck and call it quits and just motor...

I sulk for a bit because this now takes me out of next thursday's race and the last one of the season (or at least at the time that is what I was thinking - I have back-up plan)...

To remove myself from the crew - I turned the boat over to them and went below and started dinner...That was a challenge because I like the Iron Chef style of cooking (whatever is at hand and as quick as possible) but this dinner task was complicated by one guest that was allergic to practically everything. So it became part "Iron Chef" and "Dinner Impossible". But I pulled it off (note dinner was served after we docked) :)

Broiled steak with a cranberry, djion, seasoned glaze.
Seasoned seafood medly (shrimp, halibut, scallops - in a light red sauce) served over pasta or rice.

Pan sautéed medly of gourmet potatoes (purple, red, brown, white potatoes) with ****ike mushrooms and fresh herbs.

Not my best work (steak was a tad on the tough side) - but it was ample enough.

We approached the marina and we had a full moon while at sunset. It was absolutely gorgeous. With the ferries in full lighted display coming in or out, and the full moon reflecting off the calm waters to the entrance of the marina and the brilliant sunset of purple, red and oranges accented perfectly by the marina lights and buildings located near the marina.

I decide not to turn into the marina and we drive the boat to allow everyone to get some awesome photos (can't wait to see them!). That was probably the touristy highlight of that days events. And it definitely took the anxieties away from me in regards of the mishaps that afternoon.

We finally pull in on the seawall and dock at the public pier at the entrance of the marina. Even though I had made reservations, I had never gotten a call back with a moorage assignment and just assumed it was all good.

The crew helps take off trash and get things cleaned up for dinner. Even at 9:30 they were able to find ice (granted as it was described by Reid - "We have two bags of real ice and a bag of Mexican Ice"... they apparently got ice at Anthony's resteraunt (How cool is that!).

Mean while, while prepping dinner for being served and having most guests off the boat, discovered forward head is flooded. Rancid is not a term to even begin to describe it. One of the crew (and no one fessed) had left the flush turned on and didn't pump to dry. So when heeled - it merely sucked what was in the line. Another reason for electric toilets.

We wine and dine until the wee hours of the morning... Don't think I have laughed that much in a long time and we enjoyed the pleasure of port and bottles of wine. Did a midnight photo shoot of the crew and continued until 3 am taking the social in and out of the cabin.

By this time I had washed down the head with Tide to kill the odor and done an emergency pump of the toilet. But, everyone took it in stride - not much you can do and for now on - lectures before we depart on the proper head usage (although in all fairness instructions are right there).

Was a great social and we turn in around 3am feeling quite well and with smiles on our faces.

Morning came and breakfast was served - albeit later than intended but considering the evening - justified.

Again I had no problem with the tasks of serving up something for everyone.

Grits - both buttered and none.
Sautéed sausage and ham, with a variety of herbs and dried cranberries. Scrambled ham and eggs.
Fresh fruits and coffee.

After breakfast this was the first time I actually ventured around the marina myself. Beautiful layout. For those of you in the PNW - this is a must stop at marina. The slips are huge and new! They have recently (last year I think) rebuilt the entire complex and it his marina illustrates just what a top of the line marina should be.

Super clean facilities and free hot water. Stores are within walking distance. There is a variety of hotels, resteraunts, and gift shops within minimal walking distance - basically just walk out the marina and boom - its all there.

Not even to include the landscaping and architectural decor. The entrance in and out of the marina you are greeted with a waterfall that mimics salmon swimming upstream and its intensity changes as the day goes on.

Check-in and check-out was easy. There was an issue with shore power and we could never get power (coffee was made by boiling water and pouring it through the strainer of the electrical thermal coffee maker). So, we were not charged that and I got to enjoy a large free cup of coffee at the harbor masters office.

Clean up again, get showers and we ut the dodger back on around 1 or so. There were some thunderstorms rolling through and during breakfast it was simply to hot not to have the aft hatch open. I let Nahide motor us off the slip and we motored on out.

On the motoring journey we got to take tons of pictures of sea lions hanging out on the bouys. It was almost like they were waiting for us so they could do antics just for us. Definitely took the edge off the lack of sailing at least.

Did a side trip by Blake Island to scope it out and made it back in without any further incidents including a British style coffee and tea at 5. The snacks were awesome as Nahide had brought some actual "you can only get in Crete" cheese and made a wonderful appetizer with it.

All in all - simply a really great time! Everyone was relaxed in spite of the events and just went with making the best of what it was.

Highly recommend the Bremerton marina as a destination and while not quaint like Gig Harbor or Port Ludlow - a wonderfully relaxing marina to go to with plenty of activities to enjoy off the boat.

Jody

S/V "Hello Gorgeous"

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.